100 year old Basswood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
In the town square at my work location, a 100 year old basswood has started to split. They have it braced with ropes until the tree crews take it down. A massive tree. Should I bring my truck around and beg for wood? How's basswood?

after alittle research - I see it is listed as poor performing firewood. So - I'll just sit back and watch.

basswidow said:
after alittle research - I see it is listed as poor performing firewood. So - I'll just sit back and watch.

the heartwood of that tree has got to be good unless its rotted or hollow...

Hi -

I've burned it before. I now pass on it even when I can drive up easily. It's very light when dry, 'GofFer wood'!! I'd rate it with Cotton wood Poplar.

It all depends upon whether you need the wood or not. It is still okay for burning in spring or fall if one is hurting for wood but not too great for winter burning. I usually pass on it but wouldn't if I needed any old firewood. It would keep you warm even if you had to stoke the fire a bit more often.

Even if it was good burning wood, its probably full of nails and hardware from being on the town square for 100 years.

It is great carving wood.

free wood is free wood. As stated before it is great in shoulder season and it dries real quick...good luck

madrone said:
peakbagger said:
It is great carving wood.

+1

It would make some wonderful carousel horses or just about anything else you can think of to carve. A wonderful wood to work with hand tools. I'd love to have a coupla big hunks of it to fiddle around with. Rick

The single W O R S T wood I've ever burned. :sick:

But, as someone mentioned, Basswood is supposed to be good for carving. I know not from personal experience. If you have any, try to trade up with someone who would use it for that more valuable purpose.

For firewood, Basswood is a waste of space and effort.

Backwoods Savage said:
It all depends upon whether you need the wood or not. It is still okay for burning in spring or fall if one is hurting for wood but not too great for winter burning. I usually pass on it but wouldn't if I needed any old firewood. It would keep you warm even if you had to stoke the fire a bit more often.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.