1200 gallon pressurized tank install w/pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
Insulated Box:
I did not catalog this install as well as I should have. I got wrapped up into project and forgot to take pics when I was insulating and making box. The tank has several layers of insulation. Under the tank there is 3.5" Roxul R 15. I put it on the floor because it is moisture resistant and that end of the cellar may get a bit of water in the spring. Salesman says Roxul will totally dry out by itself, not lose r value and not mold. The tank then has R-12 batts installed perpendicular to tank, they reach the floor and offer a barrier between the back wall and polyiso inside box.. Back concrete wall has 2"" polyiso. Box is made of 2x4 with R-12 in the stud bays. 1" reflective polyiso. inside box. R-16 rolled insulation on the top and sides, inside the box. The cover is reflective 1" polyiso. covered with plywood. I figure the box is roughly R-35, more on the sides because of the insulation in the 2x4 walls. I do not detect much escaping the box.

Piping:
Piping layout was simple. I was already tied into the system from previous home made tank. Piping is designed with reverse flow. I have a very unique piping lay out to achieve reverse flow. I have never seen any lay out in this forum like mine. I had help with the original tank piping from Chris Holley ( Garn Dealer in Maine, also one heck of a system designer). The design is a whole thread by itself so I am not going into it deeply now. I have tried to draw it in the past for discussion but I have never got around to finishing the drawing. In a nut shell, I do not use a circ pump on my wood boiler. All heat zones and the tank have their own circ pump. If there is no call for heat, the tank circ pump kicks in when the wood boiler reaches set point. I have made the whole system automatic with 3 aquastats, 2 zone valves, and 1 relay. Anyway, the tank piping simply has a supply on one end of the tank which has an air bleeder and the connection point for the expansion tank. There is a 30# pop off piped out of the box to the floor. As mentioned in other threads it is not a necessity since the tank is not making heat but it just makes me feel better knowing I have multiple safeties in the system. The return on the other end of the tank has a dip tube which goes to the bottom of the tank. The supply and return were tied into the old pex coil (HEX) connections that were in my home made tank.

Expanion tank:
I installed an Extrol SXHT 160. We know from previous threads this is undersized. Because money is so tight for me this year I decided to try it. I also have a small exp. tank on the oil boiler. Between the two I have an acceptance volume of roughly 50 gallons. I figure my tank is roughly 1200 gallons based on a volume calculator for round tanks. I am right on the hairy edge but it works. When the tank reaches 210* on top and the return temp is 200* from tank , the system pressure is very close to 30#. The first time I heated the tank, I released about 5 gallons from the system and I have not had any pop offs activate since. I have charged the tank about 30 - 50 times.

Tank Temp. readings.
This part of my system is severely lacking. I have one gauge at the top of the tank near the return end. I don't think it is very accurate. I charge the tank based on the temp gauge in the return line piping. When the return temp hits 180* I make sure the boiler has at least a half load. This will bring return temp to 200 - 210*. Its crude but it works. Right now I am building 1 fire a day. I usually run 1 or 1.5 loads to recharge the tank to max. I will integrate a system like Jebatty someday with 9 sensors and digital read out.

Cost:
Some of the cost was absorbed when I did the first tank I.E. piping. circ pump, controls, re-used insulation and plywood.

Tank = 200 (what a deal).

Box and insulation materials = 300

Expansion tank and additional plumbing = 600

Rebuild concrete bulk head = 100

Total = $1200 If I were to guess on previous costs from first tank that were used in this project, I would guess $300. So a rough total estimate of cost = $1500 - not bad!

Musing:
I think it is possible the tank short circuits from supply to return. I will not know for sure until I have 9 sensors. But when I get return temps 200-210* I wonder if there is not a current from supply directly to return. I will not know for sure until I have 3 sensors on the bottom of the tank. I am confident tank is stratifying to some extent. I sure wish I could have put the tank in vertical.

Final Thoughts:
Although I have some tweaks to make, I am very pleased with the tank. It performs much better then the homemade tank. It takes less wood to charge 400 gallons more then the old tank. As I said before I am building 1 fire a day with 1 to 1.5 loads of wood. Roughly I well rounded normal size wheelbarrow. I am heating 2400 sq ft. Not the greatest insulation and 25 year old Anderson Windows. Roughly 5 showers a day and laundry + dishwasher. This year has been mild so far with temps during the day running in the 20's and night temps in the high teens. I think the tank will hold 5 to 7 days when I just need domestic. When everyone is home, temps are kept at 72-74 in living room and 68-70 in the rest of the house.
Over all I consider the project a major success : )

Pictures:
2 pages and each pic is click-able. I have captions on some of them that you don't see unless pic is full size.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/sparkie68/tank2/

sparke said:
Insulated Box:
I did not catalog this install as well as I should have. I got wrapped up into project and forgot to take pics when I was insulating and making box. The tank has several layers of insulation. Under the tank there is 3.5" Roxul R 15. I put it on the floor because it is moisture resistant and that end of the cellar may get a bit of water in the spring. Salesman says Roxul will totally dry out by itself, not lose r value and not mold. The tank then has R-12 batts installed perpendicular to tank, they reach the floor and offer a barrier between the back wall and polyiso inside box.. Back concrete wall has 2"" polyiso. Box is made of 2x4 with R-12 in the stud bays. 1" reflective polyiso. inside box. R-16 rolled insulation on the top and sides, inside the box. The cover is reflective 1" polyiso. covered with plywood. I figure the box is roughly R-35, more on the sides because of the insulation in the 2x4 walls. I do not detect much escaping the box.

Piping:
Piping layout was simple. I was already tied into the system from previous home made tank. Piping is designed with reverse flow. I have a very unique piping lay out to achieve reverse flow. I have never seen any lay out in this forum like mine. I had help with the original tank piping from Chris Holley ( Garn Dealer in Maine, also one heck of a system designer). The design is a whole thread by itself so I am not going into it deeply now. I have tried to draw it in the past for discussion but I have never got around to finishing the drawing. In a nut shell, I do not use a circ pump on my wood boiler. All heat zones and the tank have their own circ pump. If there is no call for heat, the tank circ pump kicks in when the wood boiler reaches set point. I have made the whole system automatic with 3 aquastats, 2 zone valves, and 1 relay. Anyway, the tank piping simply has a supply on one end of the tank which has an air bleeder and the connection point for the expansion tank. There is a 30# pop off piped out of the box to the floor. As mentioned in other threads it is not a necessity since the tank is not making heat but it just makes me feel better knowing I have multiple safeties in the system. The return on the other end of the tank has a dip tube which goes to the bottom of the tank. The supply and return were tied into the old pex coil (HEX) connections that were in my home made tank.

Expanion tank:
I installed an Extrol SXHT 160. We know from previous threads this is undersized. Because money is so tight for me this year I decided to try it. I also have a small exp. tank on the oil boiler. Between the two I have an acceptance volume of roughly 50 gallons. I figure my tank is roughly 1200 gallons based on a volume calculator for round tanks. I am right on the hairy edge but it works. When the tank reaches 210* on top and the return temp is 200* from tank , the system pressure is very close to 30#. The first time I heated the tank, I released about 5 gallons from the system and I have not had any pop offs activate since. I have charged the tank about 30 - 50 times.

Tank Temp. readings.
This part of my system is severely lacking. I have one gauge at the top of the tank near the return end. I don't think it is very accurate. I charge the tank based on the temp gauge in the return line piping. When the return temp hits 180* I make sure the boiler has at least a half load. This will bring return temp to 200 - 210*. Its crude but it works. Right now I am building 1 fire a day. I usually run 1 or 1.5 loads to recharge the tank to max. I will integrate a system like Jebatty someday with 9 sensors and digital read out.

Cost:
Some of the cost was absorbed when I did the first tank I.E. piping. circ pump, controls, re-used insulation and plywood.

Tank = 200 (what a deal).

Box and insulation materials = 300

Expansion tank and additional plumbing = 600

Rebuild concrete bulk head = 100

Total = $1200 If I were to guess on previous costs from first tank that were used in this project, I would guess $300. So a rough total estimate of cost = $1500 - not bad!

Musing:
I think it is possible the tank short circuits from supply to return. I will not know for sure until I have 9 sensors. But when I get return temps 200-210* I wonder if there is not a current from supply directly to return. I will not know for sure until I have 3 sensors on the bottom of the tank. I am confident tank is stratifying to some extent. I sure wish I could have put the tank in vertical.

Final Thoughts:
Although I have some tweaks to make, I am very pleased with the tank. It performs much better then the homemade tank. It takes less wood to charge 400 gallons more then the old tank. As I said before I am building 1 fire a day with 1 to 1.5 loads of wood. Roughly I well rounded normal size wheelbarrow. I am heating 2400 sq ft. Not the greatest insulation and 25 year old Anderson Windows. Roughly 5 showers a day and laundry + dishwasher. This year has been mild so far with temps during the day running in the 20's and night temps in the high teens. I think the tank will hold 5 to 7 days when I just need domestic. When everyone is home, temps are kept at 72-74 in living room and 68-70 in the rest of the house.
Over all I consider the project a major success : )

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/sparkie68/tank2/
Nice pressure tank, those are not easy to find. Leverhoist... don't leave home without one, Randy

Yes is is amazing what you can do with ramps, come a longs, and pipes for rollers!

Pictures:
2 pages and each pic is click-able. I have captions on some of them that you don't see unless pic is full size.

Could you draw out how you did the reverse flow?

Is it near the boiler somewhere?

I am getting close to starting to pipe my 1000 gallon tank. Not sure if it is worth the effort or if I should go simple and use independent ports on my tank.

gg

I will draw something up tomorrow and explain it as best I can...

henfruit said:
Sparke, what part of maine are you in? If i may ask what did the exp. tank cost. thanks henfruit

Winslow, $437 w/tax...

I did not include dump zones, exp tanks, check valves, manual valves, etc... Currently the oil boiler has a manual shut off where zone valve 2 is. I shut the oil gun off in the fall and leave it off until I can no longer run wood the following spring/summer. This required separating the circ. pump and oil gun controls in the oil boiler. If I want to leave for an extended time I simply turn on the oil gun and open/shut the appropriate valves. As for the mechanics of operation: Zone valve 1 and 3 are wired to a relay that is controlled by an aquastat. When Valve 1 opens - valve 3 closes and visa versa. They are fails safe in a power outtage, valve 3 is normally closed and valve 1 is normally open. This way the dump zone has a return path to thermal syphon. The tank pump is activated by a separate aquastat. I set it at 190* This way the tank circ. pump does not interfere with my other zones. Sometimes when I add the last fuel for the charge, I will change tank circ. pump to 200* That way I am making sure the supply to top of tank is higher then tank temp and ensure the high tank temperature does not cause the tank circ. pump to run after the wood fuel is spent. I have the aquastat that controls zone valves 1 and 3 set at 150*. Now the system will automatically switch to the tank at the right temp. I find 150* to be the lowest temp my system can utilize efficiently.

The original oil system piping is old. You will notice the circ. pumps are on the return line, pulling the load instead of pushing it. The way this system works, I only had to install 1 extra pump for storage instead of 2 or maybe even 3 in other set ups. Follow the flow of the water and you will see when valve 1 is open (3 is closed) the flow will be from the top of the tank down. When the ZV aquastat hits 150* valve 1 shuts and valve 3 opens. Now follow the flow of water from the heating circ. pumps and you will see the flow has reversed from bottom to top. Some will claim this system must be inefficient but I can tell you it works flawlessly.

I hope this jibberish makes sense, it is hard for me to explain technical things. Even though I understand them perfectly, I find it hard to put into words...

th_TankPiping.jpg

thanks for the drawing. It took me a while to understand the flow but I think I have it.

gg

These drawings should help to see things more clearly:

Here the wood boiler is hot enough to supply a heat zone as well as charge the tank. The way I have aquastats set up this does not happen much. Usually the tank only charges when there is no call for heat. I just wanted to demonstrate the flow.

th_Charging.jpg

This drawing shows a heat zone in operation once the boiler temp. has dropped and is now drawing from the storage tank.

th_Drawing.jpg

Thanks that helps a lot.

gg

Goose, Keep in mind that most set ups use a circ pump on the wood boiler that runs constantly when boiler is up to temp. This set up works awesome for me but keep in mind if you have a new system your pumps are probably pushing instead of pulling. I don't think this is the way to go on a new install... I just wanted to show my piping lay out because it is unique, I don't think it will work in the majority of applications... Good luck with your install and don't forget to post pics!

Thanks for the update. From what I understand the controls on my econoburn do as you say. It runs the primary system circ as long as the boiler is up to temp. My load side is independent. It is in my attached garage and is a Primary/secondary using circulators. It is controlled by a Taco zone panel.

I might delete the primary circ in the gargage manifold and just have the boiler circ in the shed takes its place. Still thinking it through.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.