14" Chimney Recommendations - Brand and where to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
This might be my very first post on here.

I am looking at installing a Yukon Eagle - Polar II wood/gas furnace in my house. According to the manufacturer, I need a 14" HT class A chimney. The manufacturer of the stove has quoted me "approximately" $2,500 for the chimney. I live in a ranch with an 8' ceiling on the main level, a 9' ceiling in the basement, and a decently sized attic, so I am guessing I need about 25' of chimney. Is that $2,500 quote reasonable? Can I get a decent chimney from somewhere else for less money? Had an installer quote me $2,850 for the 14" chimney, and that is with installation. Of course, neither the manufacturer nor the installer has told me what brand chimney they are going with. Guess I should press them on the matter.

I have been researching this for about a month now. Nothing like buying something that is supposed to last 30 years and something that could possibly burn down the house.

Thanks for any and all help.

I quickly scanned the on-line manual and see 8" chimney recommended. Are you sure you're right on the 14"?

jebatty said:
I quickly scanned the on-line manual and see 8" chimney recommended. Are you sure you're right on the 14"?

I actually read the manual and don't even remember seeing 8" chimney. I am going from info that I received from Keith, who I am guessing is a salesman a Yukon. We were initially at 10" and then when I told him I was looking at the Polar II he said I was going to need a 14" chimney. If all I need is an 8" chimney, I might be just fine because that is what I already have, if not a 10 inch chimney (Haven't measured it yet, but know from looking at it that it isn't 14 inches). I'll have to look over the manual again. Thanks.

jebatty said:

Is that 8" on page 27 under the second best choice which is a masonry chimney of 8"? Don't have a masonry chimney to use, so I have to go with a metal High Temp (HT) one. If you found an 8" metal HT recommendation elsewhere in the manual, please let me know where. That would be awesome.

Pg 11 shows an 8" diameter flue collar, as does the link to the Dimensional Info. Pg 25 says chimney should be no less than 8" in diameter. Pg 26 says that if a barometric damper is used, it should be connected with an 8" x 8" x 8" T. Pg 28 says 8" diameter if inside heated air masonry chimney. It does not state a diameter for an HT chimney, but I can't believe that 8" is not satisfactory, given all of the above. An 8" HT likely draws better than an 8" masonry.

I can't see a 14" chimney being on a wood furnace. Like the other posters have said, I believe its 8". A larger diameter chimney will cool gasses and cause rapid creosote buildup in the flue. Having the chimney matched to the flue pipe will give the best results. Was he maybe talking height in feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.