$1400 Isle Royal + pipe is it worth it ? Merged with stove now cleaned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Wanting some opinions please!! thanks

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 601
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 572
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 591
  • fire brick.jpg
    fire brick.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 595
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 579
  • opened.jpg
    opened.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 617
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 564
Andirons are missing, but overall the stove looks serviceable. There is close to $1K worth of pipe there if it is in good condition. If this stove fits your needs, could be a nice deal.

Jags, northwinds - what do you think?

Vintage?

BG - good eye. I have been following this on another thread and suggested the new thread. I DO find the andirons a very useful item. Is it possible that they just removed them and still have them?? I'm thinking a good clean up would go along ways with that stove.

whats andirons??? im lost

branchburner its a 2003

Chrism said:
whats andirons??? im lost

Notice the two things sticking up in front of the glass. They are useful in not letting logs roll into the glass as well as maintaining a proper distance from wood to glass for the air wash system. (it does appear that the angle iron that the andirons attach to are still intact.)

Attachments

• Quad_Isle_Royale.jpg
    Quad_Isle_Royale.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 561
Look at the front lower opening of the stove. You will see two bracket bases there. This is where the andirons attach. Go to Quadrafire's website and look at their pictures for this stove. Download the manual while you are there. You will need room for this big stove, it cranks out the heat. So read the clearance requirements in the docs. If it all works and you need a serious heater, this could be the one. Offer $1200 if no andirons.

If the pipe's worth around $1k and you need it, then it's a good deal, I'd say.

begreen she wanted $1500 for it all she wasn't coming down but after me throwing out increases in $25 increments lol we arrived at $1400 dont think she will budge. you still think its a good buy at $1400

she has the andirons

i am torn as you know between the
4300 millennium and the isle as i went on the installation manual for both i came across this

this is for the millennium

EPA Certifi ed: 1.1 grams per hour
EPA Certifi cate Number
and Date:
Number: 656
Issued: 02-05-2007
Effi ciency: 90.6%
BTU Output: 11,800 to 38,300 / hr.
Heating Capacity: 1,500-2,400 sq ft
depending on climate zone
Vent Size: 6 inches
Firebox Size: 2.4 cubic feet
Max Wood Length: 20 inches
Fuel: Cord Wood
Shipping Weight: 355 lbs
------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is for the isle

EPA Certifi ed: 2.9 grams per hour
Effi ciency: 76.5%
BTU Output: 11,500 to 46,000
Heating Capacity: 800 to 1,500 sq ft
depending on climate zone
Vent Size: 6 inches
Firebox Size: 3.0 cubic feet
Max Wood Length: 22 inches
Fuel: Cord Wood
Shipping Weight: 480 lbs

if the ISLE is a bigger stove and puts out more heat ....so they say>>>> why is the sq footage on the isle less than the 4300 are these spec contradicting???

Go by the cuft of the firebox. That tells the real story (and that is how much fuel will it hold). Yes the IR is a bigger stove with a higher heating capacity.

The heating capacity on the specs for the IR are suspect. 800 sq ft - HA - you wouldn't be able to stand it. I heat an ill-insulated 1750 sqft two story, 116 yr old farm house on a hill. At 38F outside last night, a had to be careful of the loads as to not make the house uncomfortable.

i was looking at heating capacity> they have a smaller # for a bigger stove I'm not getting that lol everything in the isle is bigger except heating capacity!!! hey jags could you send me a link of the blower that goes with this stove please???

Don't know much about the stove but what the heck is the deal with the brick retainer in the back of that firebox?

BrotherBart said:
Don't know much about the stove but what the heck is the deal with the brick retainer in the back of that firebox?

Unlike many stoves that have a welded retainer, the IR has designed a way for a replaceable one. It is simply a piece of angle iron bent to the shape that allows it to drop into place. It works well as a retainer and I am glad that it is replaceable, cuz mine is getting to the point of needing it. It really takes alot of heat abuse. (any you know regular steel doesn't take heat like cast. :coolsmirk: )

Am I to assume that this one does not come with a blower?? It appears that the blower kit is $309 from quad - seems pretty steep to me.

she emailed me the baffle does it look ok??? or is that beat up to?? click on the pic to make it bigger.

Attachments

• baffle copy copy.jpg
    baffle copy copy.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 450
The Isle Royale has a two part baffle. The front baffle looks worn, but it's probably serviceable for awhile yet.
Kinda hard to tell from the picture. You don't want deep cracks or chunks missing. I can't tell from the pic
if you have a rear baffle. It looks like a shadow in the pic, but there is supposed to be a rear baffle piece which
is smaller and fits just behind the front baffle piece. It also looks like you may need to replace a firebrick or two
in the future. The ones with the holes in the back look rough. I still think it's a good deal, especially with the pipe.

When I bought my stove, the specs said that the Isle Royale would heat up to 2500 square feet, so I'm not sure
where the current specs come from. I heat 2300 square feet and rarely use the insert unless it's for ambiance
or well below zero.

Also, this stove doesn't need a fan necessarily. I don't have the fan for the stove. I do have good air flow up and
down the stairs. There's also a ceiling fan upstairs which helps in distribution.

I wasn't gonna get this stove but its a deal I don't wanna miss. I'm gonna heat 1600 square ft with it I'm guessin its big enough lol

Chrism said:
I wasn't gonna get this stove but its a deal I don't wanna miss. I'm gonna heat 1600 square ft with it I'm guessin its big enough lol

Call a dealer and price that brick retainer, baffle and firebricks (Quad is the only place you can get those pumice bricks for it that I know of) and then decide.

All the bricks are $160 the retainer is $38 and I didn't price the baffle yet does it sound like a good deal still ?

Sound like a good deal to me. Baffle is probably around $150 or so.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1298019163 (Quad is the only place you can get those pumice bricks for it that I know of)[/quote]

If the pumice bricks in there are the standard 4-1/2x9, they are available locally for ~$3

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1298019163 (Quad is the only place you can get those pumice bricks for it that I know of)[/quote]

If the pumice bricks in there are the standard 4-1/2x9, they are available locally for ~$3[/quote]

Tell everybody here where to get'em. No source after people asking for years. The regular ceramic firebrick are all over the place for three bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.