145 year old Black Locust Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
Mom hired a professional to bring this behemoth down. I would have done it, but it was 6 ft from the house.

She made a wise decision to bring this beauty down. It was rotten in the center and the ants were just getting started. The trunk split into quarters after I cut 4/5 through it. Made for easier handling.. Because it was a black locust I made the 60 mile round trip to buck it and load er up. I drug the trunks out in the open with a chain on the ATV. Then strapped the X2 to the front side of trailer. Then wenched up the big pieces that didn't fall apart. Also gives motivation to get it all split so I can unload the X2.

The other picture is the red oaks I dropped a month ago. They were dead but solid. There are a couple other dead standing red oaks in the picture.

Attachments

• DSC00720.jpg
    DSC00720.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC00722.jpg
    DSC00722.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC00726.jpg
    DSC00726.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 632
Wow Nice Big round!

You got yourself some excellent BTU's there. I've been burning it all winter, burns hot and long.

wish we had tht stuff over here!! congrats!!!

Nice load but what is all that funny looking green stuff hanging all over the wood? Looks nasty.

I think it is english ivy. The whole tree was engulfed in it. I know it's not poisoness. It is falling off as I split it. Requiring me to clean up after I split 10 rounds or so.

I came in from splitting for a little break. Looks to be 1.75 to 2.25 cords. I'll snap a picture of my "new" wood wagon I bought earlier this week, tonite.

Have yet to burn ANY type of wood. I've got stocked up 6 cords of ash (cut/split july 09), 4 cords of silver/sugar maple (cut/split January 10) and roughly 2 cords of this. I'll get those estimated 5-8 cords of red oak taken care of in June. Good thing is I will be well stocked up for winter 10/11. :) Thanks for the replies!

Damn that is fun splitting that stuff, cracks like a Walnut shell. I think I will cry when I run out, only have like 4 rounds left and I cant seem to find anymore :-(

Now I'm excited. I have 2 black locus trees to finish bucking and start splitting. Both were downed last year and I just ordered my own splitter.

I've been cutting and splitting BLoc. all winter. Beautiful to work with. Does kind of stink when it's wet though.
What kind of drying time does it need? I am hoping to burn it after 1yr.

RowCrop, Actually BL is the second fastest seasoning wood behind white ash. It will need at most one year. Mine dries in 6 mos. It starts out with very little moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.