150 splits for $35

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Found it on Craigs list, the wood is a mix of Oak and Birch, they said roughly 150 splits 14-17" long, 3 years old, used in their wood stove. I told them I'd take it and will go look at it on Tuesday. I know there could be lots of variables here on how much wood this will actually be but I think its worth checking out.

Probably worth it.

6" wide splits at ~16" long times 150 = ~23 cubic feet. That equates to ~$195 for a cord of 'seasoned' wood. It's a decent price around here anyway...as long as those splits aren't toothpicks.

If each split is 4 inches x 6 inches on the end and 16 inches long, then the volume of a split is 4/12 x 6/12 x 16/12 = 0.22 ft^3. 150 of them would be 0.22 x 150 = 33.3 ft^3. A cord of wood is around 85 ft^3 of solid wood, so you are getting 33.3/85 = 0.38 cords. $35/0.38 = $92 per cord, assuming my assumption about the size of each split is right. Yeah, I am an engineer, and yeah, I am a little bit bored.

Wood Duck said:
If each split is 4 inches x 6 inches on the end and 16 inches long, then the volume of a split is 4/12 x 6/12 x 16/12 = 0.22 ft^3. 150 of them would be 0.22 x 150 = 33.3 ft^3. A cord of wood is around 85 ft^3 of solid wood, so you are getting 33.3/85 = 0.38 cords. $35/0.38 = $92 per cord, assuming my assumption about the size of each split is right. Yeah, I am an engineer, and yeah, I am a little bit bored.

lol, Wow! :lol:

I just went and had a count of my cord by the back door and reckon 150 splits is about a face of my cord (8x4x1).

Mrs woodchip has just told me I need to go and get a life........ ;-)

We won't know till he picks them up of course, but a 4x6" cross section is a pretty darn big split in my book. Those are overnighters.

Yeah, I'm thinking if it's close to 1/3 a cord the going price around here is $50-$65, so at $35 I'd be getting a good deal.

mayhem said:
We won't know till he picks them up of course, but a 4x6" cross section is a pretty darn big split in my book. Those are overnighters.
Yeah. On a triangular split, that would have to be pretty wide at the fat end. Not exactly sure how you'd figure that. Area of a triangle, plus...? What we need is an engineer. :cheese:

Sounds good Todd. Let us know how this turns out.

I needed to move some wood today and started a new row. I counted 150 splits and then took some rough measurements. I didn't count any splits that were small. By small I mean less than 4 square inches. Most of the splits that I moved were large enough where I could grab it with 1 hand, but just barely.

Anyway, I didn't stack the wood tightly and the pile was 8ft across the bottom and 4 ft tall in the center. So, this would be:

8 x 4 / 2 = 16 sq ft * 16" / 12" = 21 cu ft

** I thought I read that the splits were basically 16 inches long.

This is 1/6 of a cord. So, $35 for this is not a great price. This would be $210 / cord.

But - it all depends on how big the splits are. Let us know what you find out.

wannabegreener said:
8 x 4 / 2 = 16 sq ft
How come divided by 2? Disclaimer: I'm no math wizard...

Todd said:
Found it on Craigs list, the wood is a mix of Oak and Birch, they said roughly 150 splits 14-17" long, 3 years old, used in their wood stove. I told them I'd take it and will go look at it on Tuesday. I know there could be lots of variables here on how much wood this will actually be but I think its worth checking out.

If it was used in their wood stove I wouldn't buy it. lol

Might avoid buying it if it were advertised as ash....... ;-)

We shall see on Tuesday, I have 1st dibbs and if it doesn't look good I'll let it go to someone else or offer less money.

Well, I got a deal, it was actually 160 splits instead of 150. :lol: Came out to a tad shy of 1/3 cord, all good dry Red Oak and some Birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.