'16 / '17 Supply - Now becoming the '17 / '18 Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
9 loads of red oak. Should work out to just over 4 cord once c/s/. Splitting maul on one of the rounds for reference.

Attachments

• finished (Large).jpg
    finished (Large).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 662
5 years from now sure its not going to rot? Time for a wood shed... :cheese:

I have a woodshed, but it's full of 11/12 and 12/13. I need a wood warehouse!

I'm going to cover the stacks in the background and this stuff with some old galvanized roofing this fall.

lukem said:
I have a woodshed, but it's full of 11/12 and 12/13. I need a wood warehouse!

I'm going to cover the stacks in the background and this stuff with some old galvanized roofing this fall.

You have it up off the ground I take it?

The stacks in the picture are off the ground (hard to tell from picture, but they are on some 4x4s)...the pile of rounds is not. I'm going to get all the rounds stacked and up off the ground this fall (maybe sooner if its not too hot).

My family and neighbors are starting to question my sanity based on the amount of firewood I have.

When it rains it pours...guy at work has two more large oak trees he said I can have...sounds like another couple cord....and I can't say no to free oak...that will be 13 cord of red and white oak that's fallen in my lap since October!!!). That will probably push me into '17/'18. I have 3 acres so space isn't an issue.

lukem said:
The stacks in the picture are off the ground (hard to tell from picture, but they are on some 4x4s)...the pile of rounds is not. I'm going to get all the rounds stacked and up off the ground this fall (maybe sooner if its not too hot).

My family and neighbors are starting to question my sanity based on the amount of firewood I have.

When it rains it pours...guy at work has two more large oak trees he said I can have...sounds like another couple cord....and I can't say no to free oak...that will be 13 cord of red and white oak that's fallen in my lap since October!!!). That will probably push me into '17/'18. I have 3 acres so space isn't an issue.

I have 2 acres and take it as it comes!

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 547
Nice Score... and wood supply. Congrats

lukem said:
9 loads of red oak. Should work out to just over 4 cord once c/s/. Splitting maul on one of the rounds for reference.

lukem, looks like some nice btu's. Do you split all your firewood with a mall?

Zap

Most of it, but not all. I have a 22 ton Huskee that gets some cycles on the ugly stuff (knots, crotches, twists, and elm)...but I can outrun it on the easy pieces with maul. I like splitting the old fashioned way with the 8-lb maul. Good exercise and clears the mind.

Nice, did you have to noodle some of the rounds in the pic? They must have been pretty big.

I agree, never say no to oak!

Awesome! That is impressive. :coolsmile: I assume that the stuff in front is from "Oak-zilla."
Nice pic on an IN blue-sky day. Soon enough, the hot, humid days will be here and the sky will be a gray-white haze. :-/

smokinjay said:
I'm pretty sure that at one time Dennis had got some pre-EPA wood in his stacks, and I've never heard him mention any rot. :)

smokinjay said:
Hey, that looks like a dead tree in that pic. When are you getting that one? :)

Looks like you had to split some big rounds for transport, did you use a wedge and sledge?

That entire pile is from oakzilla (funny). I noodled the larger ones with the saw. It took two men and a boy to get them on the truck in halves.

Looks like some perfect shed in the background. Just need to pull the sheet metal off the sides and put up some mesh. Nice score, I doubt I could say no to free Oak either. Haven't had the opportunity though.

Wow. I am all set for wood this winter and I thought I was ahead of the game.

NATE379 said:
Wow. I am all set for wood this winter and I thought I was ahead of the game.
Same here, but some of these guys are "playing a game with which I am not familiar." Yet... :cheese:

Luke, you have a real winner there! Congratulations to you for getting that oak. Looks like you are stacking like us with it being off the ground and covered with galvanized. It works great!

Woody, you are correct; we do not have a problem with rot. As of lately the longest our wood has been in the stack is 8 years. It burns great that way too. However, at present our oldest wood was split and stacked a bit over 2 years ago and we have about 5 years worth of heating wood split and stacked.

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like some perfect shed in the background.

If you are talking about the grain bins, those aren't mine. My current woodshed is a 3-sided implement barn. It has about 10 cord in it now. The camper is in there right now, so that takes up about 1/3 of the room....could get 15 cord in there if I filled it up.

Woody Stover said:
Awesome! That is impressive. :coolsmile: I assume that the stuff in front is from "Oak-zilla."
Nice pic on an IN blue-sky day. Soon enough, the hot, humid days will be here and the sky will be a gray-white haze. :-/

smokinjay said:
I'm pretty sure that at one time Dennis had got some pre-EPA wood in his stacks, and I've never heard him mention any rot. :)

smokinjay said:
Hey, that looks like a dead tree in that pic. When are you getting that one? :)

Yes it is...Thats an ash killed by ash bores. I am going to drop it with my 192t as soon as I get every-thing split that I have on hand. Working on rounds that are 2 years old trying to get stack for this season. (on # 7 now) need 10.

You have been busy..

The only thing I have had fall in my lap is storm damage maples. and that is drying up.

lukem said:
When it rains it pours...guy at work has two more large oak trees he said I can have...sounds like another couple cord....and I can't say no to free oak....

Confirmed. Picking this stuff up in the morning. Just one tree but it is about 20" and "really tall". Not sure how much it will yield, but it is a woods tree without many branches....should be easy picking.

stacks for 2017 /2018
- that's mentioned in your will ?

'17/'18 wood already? Whatcha tryin to do, build some sort of firewood castle? ;)

Nice! I wish I was that far ahead. I only have half of what I need cut for this winter and most of it still needs split. On the plus side it's all dead ash that is dry.

Mt Ski Bum said:
'17/'18 wood already? Whatcha tryin to do, build some sort of firewood castle? ;)

It's called being prepared. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.