16 ton log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beveryda

Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey
I'm looking to purchase a gas log splitter. Will be splitting 3-4 cords per year, since I do not have enough space to store any more than that. I've read other posts and seems like many use splitters 20 tons or more.
I found a 16 ton splitter on-line with Honda engine which I was thinking about purchasing. Would 16 tons be enough? Anyone use a 16 ton splitter with Honda engine, horizonta/vertical?

I have not use one but the honda motors are sweet and 3-4 cords a year seem like more than enough power.

It won't be blowing through any elm but it should work fine.

For 90% of what I throw at it, a 6 ton electric does most of what I want. A 16 ton would be a dream machine. What doesn't split can be pancaked with the saw or tackled with the sledge and wedge.

Matt

my 6 ton electric also works well. No noise. I can split in the early am. I do 10 full cord a yr. so far I have about 50 cord out of this splitter. It does look a bit wimpy, but it sure is convenient to store. And the ones it wont split,, I cut up into cubes with the saw. And then for the really big rounds that i get now and then, I have the 16 yr old teenage boy and a maul. Every time I mention the word maul, he thinks were going shopping.

"Every time I mention the word maul, he thinks were going shopping."

ROTFLMAO! Now that's funny.

I haven't put anywhere near 50 cords though mine, but it doesn't owe me a dime. I'd like to know more about the 16 ton though. Is it new or used?

Matt

Thanks for the replies.

And yes, that 16 ton is the one I was looking at. I saw on another website 1095 with free shipping, no tax.
I've owned Honda lawn mowers, tillers, etc. and really want to go with a Honda engine.

Which 6 ton electric are you using? I may look into it.

just every time you use it (if choosing the electric one) make sure you open the air screw more turns then recommended. otherwise you blow the mainshaft seal. Mine retightened itself, so now it leaks and does not perform like it use to. will be taking it to a friend to see if he can repair. the exploded view does not list that as a part.

I've never closed my air screw. It's fallen over in the truck and not leaked too bad. I did have to refill it one time in the last 3 or 4 years IIRC. The hardest part was finding a suitable fluid. The manual listed some strange requirement or something. I finally said the hell with it and put around 2 quarts of normal hydraulic fluid from the local hardware store. It did the trick.

Matt

beveryda said:
I'm looking to purchase a gas log splitter. Will be splitting 3-4 cords per year, since I do not have enough space to store any more than that. I've read other posts and seems like many use splitters 20 tons or more.
I found a 16 ton splitter on-line with Honda engine which I was thinking about purchasing. Would 16 tons be enough? Anyone use a 16 ton splitter with Honda engine, horizonta/vertical?

I would not hesitate on a 16 ton. However, the 22 ton from Tractor Supply is a much better deal (I think). You should have some TSC stores near you.

Our splitter is like the 22 ton that TSC sells and we've had it 20 years or so and have had zero problems. In all that time we've had exactly one piece that it did not split. Naturally it was a knotty elm. Perhaps I could have split it by monkeying around with it but it just was not worth the time nor aggravation. Besides, it would have been a terrible thing to put inside a stove.

Also, our splitter has a Briggs & Stratton engine rather than Honda. I would choose Honda over Briggs any day but we can't complain about our engine as that too has been trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.