1903 Monarch Coal Burning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew954

Aug 14, 2010
East Central Wisconsin
Hello! I am hoping for some insight into the fireplace in my "new" old house. I recently purchased a 1903 Edwardian style home with a beautiful Monarch coal burning fireplace with an ornate cast iron surround. I am only the third owner in 107 years. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the place wasn't kept up by the previous two owners, and the fireplace is covered in 100 years of soot and grime. When I began cleaning the surround in hopes of restoring it, I was surprised to find the remains of what appears to be copper and/or nickel plating - clearly not paint.

Was this type of thing common?

How do I figure out if the plating was copper or nickel, as I understand that copper was commonly used as a base for nickel plating? Copper seems to make sense, since the mantel and remainder of the woodwork in the room is cherry, but there is clearly a "silvery" character on parts of the lower front grate, although elsewhere the effect is definitely copper.

The attached photo is early in the cleaning process. It has since cleaned up much "pinker."

Attachments

• DSC01319.jpg
    DSC01319.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 843
Hi, Copper is extremely unlikely to be the finnish. Especialy on stoves of that era, nickel over copper would be common.
The remaining areas were likely black, colored by stove black, which would need to be applied ocasionaly. Common these days to use high temp paint instead, but if you go that route, pay strict attention to the warnings on the paint can.

Thanks much, BeGreen! I will contact Urban Remains and post what I find out. I've shopped there before for light fixtures but didn't think to ask if they might have some knowledge about fireplaces. They are close enough that I could even pull mine out and take it down there...

Thanks again!

Your unit looks great.

I would like to see more pictures of the fireplace. I am restoring a Monarch coal fireplace same era and I notice you have the key control for the damper which I'm missing. Could you take some pictures of how this works? Also, do you have the handle for the ash grate as that would be a good picture, also what types of knobs are on the ends of the damper controls?

Mine is almost together but I would like to get the upper damper control working like it was. I can't figure out what type of lifting mechanism they used with the key to open and close this damper. Yours looks so complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.