1978 HS Tarm Multifuel How To Use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bahassler

Mar 1, 2008
Eastern PA
Hi All,
I just moved into a "new" home that has one of these beasts with no instructions. I've been burning oil all winter because I don't know how to operate the other options. Can anyone get me up to speed quickly so I can burn some wood or coal? I don't even know which door is for which fuel. I don't see a model number unless it's under the hood. There are three doors, two on the far right, one on top and one below and another door somewhat in the center. There is also a chain connected to a vent flap beneath the lower chamber. I see some grates in the garage that look like they belong with the furnace too.

Please help.

Thanks.

Do you know if the boiler was in use just before the house was sold? I'd say with all the unknowns that first and foremost a good inspection has to be made of everything associated with it, i.e. boiler integrity, chimney, relief valve/safety devices, pump(s), etc. If everything checks out, I would suggest having someone knowledgable with operating wood boilers with you when you decide to fire it up just to make sure things are operating right.

This is an OT boiler.

You should be able to obtain a manual from the tarm folks.

Call 1-800-Staywarm.

You might have both the wood grates and the coal grates. The wood grates are flat and the coal ones can move in a cradle (shake).

Basics are:
Top door on right is for loading wood
Bottom on right is for removing ash and also has the flap that the wood control (the samson or ammark with the chain) is connected to.
The draft control should be adjusted when the water is hot - so that it is perhaps just slightly open when the water is 180. Then it will open further when the water gets cooler and close when the water gets hotter. check the operation of this to make sure it works.

If you are going to burn wood, you want to turn the oil temp (on the triple aquastat) down to about 165 so the wood has some room to move.

The center door is for adjusting a baffle plate that makes the wood burn more efficiently. this will be detailed in the manual.

see:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11937/
for another owner here.

Thank you for your quick and thorough responses. Since the wood heat was being used heavily by the previous owner, I'll jump right in and try my luck with burning the abundance of fallen trees on the property.

Meanwhile I'll request a manual from 1-800-Staywarm so I can learn how to do it right.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.