1980s vc Intrepid 1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
Purchased moms house. Has small 100yr old masonry fire place. Burned a lot of wood in it and had swept every year. I'm looking at a 1980s vc intrepid guessing 1. Seller doesn't know much. Removed from in laws house. Installed sometime in the 80s.
I hoping it's a non cat. Guys asking 750$. I'm waiting for pics of insides and back.
What should I look for? House is tiny. 1000 sq ft. Room fireplace is on 12x16'.
I'm going to need to line chimney as well. Questions about that after I obtain a stove. Thanks
Rob

$750 for a 30 year old VC? I’d not even bother looking. You do know you can buy some new stoves for that price?

Sorry. Firguring out replies. My wife loves the color, it's like a grey blue. I like the size. I've read hear vc quality went up and down as well. I'd like a small stove with glass door. I was hoping to have a running stove with liner for 1000$.

Sorry. Firguring out replies. My wife loves the color, it's like a grey blue. I like the size. I've read hear vc quality went up and down as well. I'd like a small stove with glass door. I was hoping to have a running stove with liner for 1000$.
You're spot-on, there. Unfortunately, I'm no VC expert, but someone will be along shortly, to sort the good from the bad.

However, if you want a small stove with glass, and Englander NC-17 can be picked up for much less than that 30 year old stove, and is one of this forum's favorite small heaters. It's a welded steel box, so damn near indestructible.

I had several old cemented cast iron Jotuls, very similar to the old VC's, but with consistently higher quality. It's a great way to build a stove, but by the time you reach this age, the cement joints start failing, and you'll almost certainly be looking at a complete tear-down, and re-cementing. At that point, you're going to want to paint it, as you'll be making a mess of it in the rebuild.

So, at some point, you might consider it easier to just buy a new stove and paint it the color you like. Sounds outrageous, painting a new stove out of the box, but likely cheaper and easier than what you're presently considering. You'll also have one of the latest clean burners, with proven modern technology and parts availability.

Thanks ashful. Ideally 1000$ will get this done. Now I'm seeing a jotul f 3cb locally asking 600. But yet to see pics. I'm figuring 500 for liner. hoping for stove for about that much. I'm limited, wife wants it set into fire place but height is only 27". So that jotul would need shorter legs.

The F 3 CB is a good little stove, used by a few here, and I think it's still in production. Don't expect long burn times on a stove that small, but that might not be your goal. You'll get much better replies if you post questions about the F3 CB in the main Hearth Room.

With a limited opening height, have you considered inserts, or does it have to be a free-stander?

So if it's an Intrepid, I might go ahead, but not an Intrepid II. (it'll say on the side which it is) Ashfulis right though, it may well need some work at its age, so maybe make a more appropriate offer, say $400.00ish? Just FYI, I sell them completely restored for $995.00, so $750.00 seems kinda steep.

Int. I's don't generally have a lot that can be wrong that would be expensive or difficult to fix. They're really simple stoves unlike the II's. MAKE SURE there is not damage to the door hinges though, that can be a thing.

25844FC1-2F11-45DB-ACCA-E309A82F2376.jpeg 0D315D61-D79C-4187-802D-913792DE02AE.jpeg 5E6E4D72-A95F-4960-9E93-1815F94C451B.jpeg 37749A10-9F75-4CCD-82C0-057B2BDDC865.jpeg
Offered 250. We’ll see
From my short time reading here looks like new fire brick at the least. Any other glaring issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
well it is definitely a noncat Intrepid 1. Rare to see the old enamel ones in such good condition, especially that old Antique Grey colour. looks like most of the interior is intact, albeit with a bit of surface rust. 750 may be a bit much to ask, but I would guess it's going to fetch more than $250. It's worth more than that as a piece of furniture in the shape the exterior is in (IMO).

$400 - $450, by my best guess. I’d be redoing that top-load door gasket, as they’re most critical (only relies on the weight of the door), but overall it looks pretty good.

I’m getting it tomorrow. 375. Now questions. I need to get chimney liner. 6” will fit easily. 20’, is like to get stove as deep as possible into fire box. The kits seem to have a “t” or appliance adapter.
I’ll have to see once I get stove. I’d like to be able to open the top.
I’m hoping 3? Fire brick and gasket kit for top and maybe doors will do it. I’ll let u know how it goes. Also need to make a block off plate. Add rouxel? To the cart, stove thermometer. Do they make. Can I make a outside air kit. The ash door at back of fire place would be easy acsess to our side air.
Exciting!!
Rob

Congratulations!

Post a new chimney thread in the hearth room, to get better response. Not my area of expertise, so I'll refrain.

Excellent. Half of his original asking price, which should leave you enough to get your liner on your initial budget.

Post completed install pics if you can, always interesting to see how these classics end up.

Cheers!