1985 Blaze King Pincess Model PEJ 1002

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesseberg

Nov 27, 2010
Washington
Hi,
I have heard BK are good stoves. Looking at an unused 1985 princess model with a catalyst and thermostat for $900. Wondering it anyone has intel on whether this model has guts and efficiency of the currently produced models? I know the outside has changed over the years. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. There should be someone with one that could comment. Thought I wud bump ur thread a bit. I have a non cat BK. So cant help u there. I am sure it is better than my smoke dragon. I guess depends what features are most important to you like the large firebox, ect.

By unused, do you mean never had a fire in it? Price seems rather high for a stove that old. Does that include the fan?

I don't have any personal experience with these stoves, but I can tell you by looking at the manual, and having seen both models on a showroom floor not burning, that the combustor design has changed on the inside. How that effects efficiency I don't know. If you don't care about having a glass door, and are sure the stove including the cat is ready to burn and in good shape, I would be trying to work that price closer to $500. I know a new BK is pricey, but I think for $900, I would be holding out for a later model. For perspective, I purchased a Blaze King Royal Heir RHT-2200, mfg. in 1986 for $250, with a good cat in it, showing a bit of wear, but still in real good shape, and has been working pretty good so far, but not fully cold tested yet. The combustor design is similar to the new model King and Princess, and it works real good, only problem is a small firebox compared to them.

Hopefully someone will come along with some experience with the 1002 and later stoves.

The 1002 is a great stove. It had a round combustor and was mounted horizontally in the firebox. I have seen several in use and never heard a complaint. Blaze King boasts the newer models are even better designed. Check out the EPA web site to make certain it is EPA approved. Just Google "EPA APPROVED WOOD STOVES".

From the horses' mouth:

"Just for comparison purposes, the KT series of wood stoves were made from 1977-1983 and where great heaters. Unfortunately they did not burn as clean or as efficient as the newer models. Old KT's and PT's were probably more than 60 gr/hr and the new models are all well below 2.5. The Chinook 30 is actually 1.0 gr/hr.

If you are looking to get a good deal on an efficient and clean burning used Blaze King, look for models KEJ1101, KEJ1102, KEJ1107 (current model) and Princess models PEJ1002, PEJ1003 and PEJ1006 (again current model)"

-BKVP

Status
Not open for further replies.