$1995 for liner install? I need some advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPain

Jul 10, 2008
I had budgeted between $1200-1500 to get a stainless steel 6" liner installed in our 25 foot chimney.
I had a guy come out yesterday and his quote is for $1995 for a 316i Alloy liner.

In the quote it lists:

Remove Flue from Fireplace where applicable for liner passage (the flue "swing plate" is 5.5" x 30")
Notch back wall and smoke shelf (Huh?)
Reline from insert to top of flue with an insulated stainless steel flue lining
Seal liner at top
Job site clean up

Lifetime warranty 316i alloy insulated liner installed all flue usage.

Job total $1995.00
OR
Lifetime Warranty 304 heavy wall alloy insulated liner installed - wood only
Job total $2395

Does this seem reasonable? This guy is supposed to be very good, but it seems a bit pricey to me.
There is no mention of a SS critter cap or other cap.

Thanks for all help.

Thats seems about right in this area. I dont know where you live. When he says notch back smokeshelf, that means hes going to cut a hole in the damper frame to allow the insulated pipe to pass through there.

I'm in South East Michigan.

Yeah, I figured that the notch was for the pipe and it is probably best to get as straight a shot as possible.
Don't others use flexible oval pipe to do this, or is "straight all the way" best?

We just had a liner installed with our fireplace insert. The liner materials cost was $600-700. The installation cost was $600 and included installing the insert.

$2000 seems a little high to me. I hope this helps.

HotCookCpl said:
We just had a liner installed with our fireplace insert. The liner materials cost was $600-700. The installation cost was $600 and included installing the insert.

But was your liner insulated?

STOVEGUY11 said:
HotCookCpl said:

But was your liner insulated?
Did the quote separate out parts and labor? Or just give the total?

I paid about $800 for my liner, though I couldn't tell you if it's insulated or not (or what it would be insulating).

Your probably looking at about $800 to $1000 in materials and about half a days labor depending on the specific install. I'd say a fair price is somewhere around $1300 to $1700.

<<<Did the quote separate out parts and labor? Or just give the total?

I paid about $800 for my liner, though I couldn’t tell you if it’s insulated or not (or what it would be insulating).>>>

Good Points. I just wrote back to him and asked the parts and labor be put in as line items.
I do want it insulated and that is mentioned in the original quote.

I can get the parts for less than $800, so $1200 seems kinda pricey for a one day job that is straight forward and easy.

Well, we're in S.W. Conn., the notoriously pricey 'burbs of NYC and I've jut gotten a quote from a reputable sweep (outside of our area, per se) for 1367 bux for install; includes delivery of stove for retailer, then the SSliner, labor and cap. It pays to shop the install too,I reckon,

Do a search on this site for do-it-yourself installs. I did mine for about $700 all by myself. Took about 5 hours start to finish, much of which was cutting out the old damper (and the associated running back and forth to Home Depot for more reciprocating saw blades). Cutting the damper out is a PITA, but the rest of the job is a piece of cake. $1,300 is a lot of money!

Can you get another bid? Seems high to me. You can but a 25' liner kit for less than $500 online. Insulation may not be needed unless you are in a cold climate and have short outside wall chimney. But insulation is required if your chimney doesn't have the clay liner or is in bad shape.

I am having a bit of trouble getting more bids. One guy cancelled his appointment (with my OK) to take a long deserved vacation and then
broke TWO RIBS hitting a tree with his dirt bike (too much fun as I call that). Others just seem flaky. I will preserver.

Our chimney is pretty high, and if I do it myself, I was going to hire a tree cutter who has a truck with a cherry picker. He cut the branches
that were overhanging the house above the chimney, so I know the rig and picker can get back there and well above the chimney.
He's a beef-alo, so I know he could probably get the pipe in there.

I would rather pay an expert to do the job, and I think people should be well paid, but $1300 for a couple of hours is kinda hard to swallow.

Any one know about 316i Alloy liners? Is that the good stuff?

ProPain said:
Any one know about 316i Alloy liners? Is that the good stuff?

Do the install yourself, it's not that hard.

316 SS is good stuff and will serve you well as a liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.