1st Annual Hearth.com Wisconsin Get Together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
As a celebration of all things wood related (so, Moderators, it's OK to post this here :) ), we will be holding a get together for everyone who would like to enjoy some great company and cold beer at the Roxbury Tavern, just northeast of the greater Madison metroplex ;-) at noon on September 19th.

Make your plans now so you don't miss this surely life changing event! (Jags, even you are welcome to come even though you live in Illinois!)

Map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....247954,-89.679551&spn=0.010488,0.026093&z=16

See you in September!

Good idea Wendell but that is a long ways, even if that pond wasn't between us.

I've heard the ferry ride is very nice and last I knew, they were having a sale on a round trip ticket! :) If you come we'll have to have a prize for the person who traveled the farthest distance! I bet northwinds could mount a split on a plaque you could hang on your wall! :cheese:

And, actually, I want to make sure to give credit where credit is due. This was actually northwinds idea, I just started the thread.

And if the company of Wendell and I were not enough to draw you to the Roxbury Tavern,
the ambiance and tasty beer will overcome any doubts you may have.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2008/10/28/0810280026.php

The owner of the Roxbury is a "certifiable" wood burner. :)

Hope to see some of you there. Maybe we can have a tree identification contest at my
woodlot four miles away. I know I can't mount that split straight enough to satisfy Dennis.

That is fantastic. Great for people with a common interest to be able to meet together some other way than through a keyboard. It is just so hard to stick somebody else with the bar tab online. ;-P

Bart, why don't you see if Craig will fly you out so you can moderate the discussions we will have. I have no doubt you'd be the life of the party! ;-)

northwinds said:
And if the company of Wendell and I were not enough to draw you to the Roxbury Tavern,
the ambiance and tasty beer will overcome any doubts you may have.

Actually, I'm not that great of company ;-) but I know that I have tried over 300 different beers in my lifetime and Lake Louie (especially the Porter) is definitely in the top 5. I think that is worth the trip right there!!

uh, huh? What? What? Did somebody say "Lake Louie"?

Hmmmm....your gonna let a FIB in on your little party, eh? Something smells like an outdoor wood boiler burning road kill and fish guts here (and yes, the cheese head reference to road kill and fish guts was intentional :coolsmirk: ). Your not planning on sticking me with the bar tab are ya??

And yeah, I think Craig has an obligation to see that an official moderator is present since this is all his fault.

Jags said:
Hmmmm....your gonna let a FIB in on your little party, eh?,,,Your not planning on sticking me with the bar tab are ya??

The answer to your first question is, yes, we will let a FIB into our party but only because you burn wood and know that as a FIB, it will only take you 35 minutes to get here. As to the answer to your second question, I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it...

And, just to be clear, I'm not actually a cheesehead, I just play one on TV.

wendell said:
....and know that as a FIB, it will only take you 35 minutes to get here

90 Miles on Wisconsin roads....Illinois License plate....35 minutes.....Yeah, thats about right. :lol:

Still not sure what a FIB is?

F'ing Illinois Bastard

heh

Its to counter the cheesehead remarks. I grew up in IL so...

So would this a party of 3 if I came? I know there is a bunch more Wisconsin members on the forums but some are hours away from the madison area. Oh and I don't really drink beer.... so I find bars kind of boring, and disgusting if they allow smoking inside. Sorry :-/

Read the article linked above, jtp, I think you'll find the Roxbury different and they do not allow smoking. Beer drinking certainly is not required and for me, the highlight of the day (besides meeting you, of course) will be the field trip to northwinds' wood lot for the tree ID contest.

Plus, I think we will have a lot more than 3. Rumor has it that Craig is going to send Bart to moderate and Dennis is going to take the ferry over. Hopefully we can get jackpine to come and bring some goodies from his cookstove and round up a few of our southwestern compatriots along the way.

I tell ya, I can just feel the excitement building!

Well if there is no smoking I guess you can count me in. Might bring the wife and daugther who will be 1 by then.

You didn't click on the link to the map, did ya? ;-)

Don't worry, Todd, they aren't too far away and we'll make sure our new hearth professional is well taken care of.

A non-smoking bar? :mad: Isn't that called a Tea Room? Well anyway, I will be down at the woodlot with a six pack and will see you guys when you get there.

Todd said:
Is there a hotel within staggering distance?

Todds on a mission! Heck if I get a chance I may mapquest this.

Sounds real interesting going to mark it on calendar.

A little more than a stagger...but closest I could find:

Ganser's MotelAddress:‎
Removal requested ()Restore requestedEdited
Write a review - - more info »Placement on map is approximate
7433 State Road 188
Sauk City, WI 53583-9501

Get Directions
(608) 643-8551
* approximate times

-
Area served: - Show
Category:
Unverified listing

Street view

Get directions
-
Search nearby
-
Street view

Zoom here -
Save to My Maps
-
Send

Edit

The owner's philosophy is that bars get bad reputations because the owners don't throw people out soon
enough. In a typical bar, people get thrown out for fighting or falling down drunk. At the Roxbury, people
get thrown out for bad manners. The focus is more on food than drink.

I bring my kids there all the time. There's Sprecher Root beer, locally roasted coffee (by
yours truly), big hot dogs and burgers. and usually interesting conversation.

The only other retail business in Roxbury is a pretty good German restaurant with good German beer.

Motels are just a few miles down the road in Sauk City or a bigger selection in Madison: about twenty
minutes away. I will volunteer to be the designated driver for anyone needing to get to a local motel.
I suppose we could have a rustic camping option with Brother Bart and his six pack on the woodlot, but you'll
need to bring your own water and promise not to burn my wood supply down. :) Alternatively, we have some
couch space or floor space at my house twenty minutes away.

I plan to attend an astronomy class at Wildcat Mountain State Park in Ontario that night, but maybe I can swing down that way first and have a 7UP with you guys.

quads said:
I plan to attend an astronomy class at Wildcat Mountain State Park in Ontario that night, but maybe I can swing down that way first and have a 7UP with you guys.

Great!

Looking forward to meeting all who can come.

I've been meaning to get up to the Roxbury for years so decided it was my responsibility as a co-host to do a field trip tonight. We had a great time and my 11 year old son said he wanted to move to Roxbury so he could eat there every night! Northwinds, I think you picked the perfect spot but I do have to admit, I went for the LL Porter on tap instead of your coffee. Sorry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.