2/10 Rule apply to pellet vent pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
I'm installing a freestanding stove this summer. Trying to get everything together and figure out how to run the vent pipe.

Do I need to adhear to the 2/10 (24" rise above the roof line within 10') rule if I vent it through the roof?

That rule will not apply. Depending on what stove you have, the clearances will vary a little bit between brands. Most require only 12 inches from the roof line. You are also able to direct vent pellet stoves out an exterior wall. Refer to the owners manual of your stove to determine the exact clearances you will need for your venting.

CJ-SR4ever said:
That rule will not apply. Depending on what stove you have, the clearances will vary a little bit between brands. Most require only 12 inches from the roof line. You are also able to direct vent pellet stoves out an exterior wall. Refer to the owners manual of your stove to determine the exact clearances you will need for your venting.

I bought a Englander 25-EP. I am aware of the horizontal venting options and may go that way. It's going on a interior wall but it is close to a exterior wall on the front of the house. I'm not real excited about a metal pipe sticking out 24" on the front of my house. It would be okay if it was low near the foundation but england calls for a 3' rise.

England manual says check with pipe brand for clearances.

This is what the Selkirk Direct-Temp install manual says.

T E R M I N AT I O N H E I G H T A B O V E R O O F — T h e
termination of Model VP should be located a sufficient
distance from the roof so that the discharge opening is
at least two (2) feet above the roof surface, or nearby
structure.

So I guess that means a minimum of 2 feet but not necessarily 2/10?

Yes, some pipe brands require 3 inches to combustable and some only require 1 inch. The exhaust temps on the pellet stoves are so much lower than that of a wood stove. 2 feet off the roof at any part of the roof sound about right. Im not to familiar with the Englander stoves, didn't know they require a rise. You can also do the rise on the inside of the room, but sounds like you are going through the roof anyway. Does the manual say anything about having to increase the size of the flue after a certain amount of vertical length?

I did some more measuring/checking last night and it is going to be a big deal to vent through the roof. About 20' of pipe with two 90's going through two walls and the roof. At least $1k in pipe.. that's crazy.. I worry that it wouldn't vent right on top of that. I was trying to get around having the vent pipe sticking out the front of my house and also I have a issue with being 4' from a window. I'll keep reading up and come up with something. I emailed Mike at ESW about it.

check your local home inspector/city hall as well, ad the town may have their own guidelines you need to follow in order to get a clear C.O. for the house before yous tart cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.