2 different wood ID's please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
My brother in law found a bunch of both of these woods on the side of the road. He was thinking about scrounging it all but I couldn't tell him what they were....

Attachments

• wood1a.jpg
    wood1a.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 280
  • wood2a.jpg
    wood2a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 263
Some sort of oak and sycamore?

Ok thanks!!! Is the sycamore worth taking?

Scott

Scooter, make sure you split that sycamore by hand. It will really make you a believer on hydraulic splitters for sure. Other than that, it will burn okay. Sort of pretty wood too. The wife might even like a few short logs (unsplit) around some flower bushes.

Sycamore and tulip!

So would you take more of the poplar or the sycamore?

Scoooter said:

Thats yellow poplar....There is a difference. Lots of uses for it and its ok firewood. Yellow Poplar should be the better wood of those two.

Scoooter said:

Burn quality is about the same. Poplar is easier to split by hand.

I dont think there is an easier wood to split by hand than Tulip Poplar.......virtually no effort is needed......

lukem said:
Scoooter said:

The sycamore is going to have way more BTU's

nrford said:
lukem said:
Scoooter said:

The sycamore is going to have way more BTU's

No it won't. Sycamore on here is rated 17.9 MBTU. Tulip Poplar is not on this listing but I have seen it rated right with Silver Maple which is 17.4 MBTUs per this chart........

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Yellow poplar 16.0
Sycamore 18.5

Now we're splitting hairs...about the same BTU content.

If you blindly threw a load in you couldn't tell the difference in burn time or output. I've burned both. About the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.