2 loads, Birch & spruce( Pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Just unloaded the second load. I forgot how hard cutting & loading up a few cords of wood was.
Feels good to be able to do it though, good exercise. Just slow & steady & roll the bigger stuff.
1st load was mostly spruce, today's load was mostly birch, heavier for sure. 40 MPH on the way home.
All pretty wey stuff, was cut 2 - 3 weeks ago then stacked in logs. Have to use the truck to pull the good wood out of
the pile, then cut it up. Pile is mostly cotton wood.
Got most of the 1st load split last night. Mosquitoes finally made me quit.)
Pretty tired so I may try to split some tonight, "vertical" of course, it's easier on the back. + a few I don't want to lift (I call them ''rollers")
Maybe 2-1/2 cords, we'll see. Was 70°, too hot to cut wood but you gotta get when the getting is there.
I know I had the trailer overloaded, so I drove slow with blinkers on all the way home.

PS: I did get a new saw yesterday, Tuesday my old Husq 61, quit, the safety wire for the throttle broke & the choke knob broke, Got it running but
just wore out. I like having a chain brake that works too & the new saw is lighter weight.
Husq 359, wanted the 346XP but none avaliable here so the 359 with 2 chains, a20", 3/8-.050 bar so my old chains work on it.
Starts so much better, revs quick, choke works, chain brake works, seems to be a good saw so far.

Attachments

• 100_6548.jpg
    100_6548.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 495
  • 100_6550.jpg
    100_6550.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 501
I sure like me some birch..... Had about a face cord put up last year, but it's pretty rare round these parts. Sure wish I could get my hands on some more !!

IndianaTech said:
I sure like me some birch..... Had about a face cord put up last year, but it's pretty rare round these parts. Sure wish I could get my hands on some more !!
Trade you:: Oak or Locust for birch, you drive. :)

bogydave said:
Was 70°, too hot to cut wood but you gotta get when the getting is there.

It might be true that people in Virginia don't know what cold is, but clearly people in Alaska don't know what hot is. Anything under 90 is wood cutting weather around here.....70 degrees is jacket weather.

I'll still let you guys do your cutting in the summer. I'll wait for some cold air before I start cutting. December is early enough for me.

As for heat, a lot of Alaska can get pretty hot but the big thing is that it does not stay that way. Of course, the same for the other extreme. There is always a few really cold spells and there is always a few really hot spells. Still, overall, it is a whole lot cooler up in Dave's country. I'd like to pay him a visit sometime, maybe even go to the state fair again.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll still let you guys do your cutting in the summer. I'll wait for some cold air before I start cutting. December is early enough for me.

As for heat, a lot of Alaska can get pretty hot but the big thing is that it does not stay that way. Of course, the same for the other extreme. There is always a few really cold spells and there is always a few really hot spells. Still, overall, it is a whole lot cooler up in Dave's country. I'd like to pay him a visit sometime, maybe even go to the state fair again.

I am with you on letting it get cold. I like the ground to be frozen.

Looks good Dave

I like to cut when its 40 to 55 degs out. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Billy

Was almost too hot yesterday. I was welding up a cart to haul wood around with my tractor and sweat kept dripping on the inside of my welding helmet.

Dave didn't you just screw up your back?

I did about same amount of wood a couple weekends ago, though all birch. I hauled, cut, split and corded it over 2 days, told myself I'd take my time. Usually 2.5 cords would take me a day at most. Well still with taking it slow and the day after I could barely walk. So take it nice and slow... still got another 2 months still there is snow on the ground.

Oh, if you need more wood, I know where there is some nice stuff in log length for $100/cord in Birchwood.

bogydave said:
Just unloaded the second load. I forgot how hard cutting & loading up a few cords of wood was.
Feels good to be able to do it though, good exercise. Just slow & steady & roll the bigger stuff.
1st load was mostly spruce, today's load was mostly birch, heavier for sure. 40 MPH on the way home.
All pretty wey stuff, was cut 2 - 3 weeks ago then stacked in logs. Have to use the truck to pull the good wood out of
the pile, then cut it up. Pile is mostly cotton wood.
Got most of the 1st load split last night. Mosquitoes finally made me quit.)
Pretty tired so I may try to split some tonight, "vertical" of course, it's easier on the back. + a few I don't want to lift (I call them ''rollers")
Maybe 2-1/2 cords, we'll see. Was 70°, too hot to cut wood but you gotta get when the getting is there.
I know I had the trailer overloaded, so I drove slow with blinkers on all the way home.

PS: I did get a new saw yesterday, Tuesday my old Husq 61, quit, the safety wire for the throttle broke & the choke knob broke, Got it running but
just wore out. I like having a chain brake that works too & the new saw is lighter weight.
Husq 359, wanted the 346XP but none avaliable here so the 359 with 2 chains, a20", 3/8-.050 bar so my old chains work on it.
Starts so much better, revs quick, choke works, chain brake works, seems to be a good saw so far.

Good work bogydave, that will look good in that nice woodshed you have.

zap

Thanks all.

Got all the birch split last night, cooler but muggy, hopefully get it stacked soon,
Golf today.
Hot to us here is above 70, "T" shirt weather is above 45. The body has to re-learn how to sweat when it gets above 70.
I took barely enough water yesterday, so even though it's cool by lower 48 standards, staying hydrated is key in the summers if you have to do real work.
Being out of shape, old & being real careful with the larger rounds, made it take longer, when I got tired, I started getting in a hurry so I quit & came home with what I had.

The reward came this morning when I looked out at the pile of wood & smiled. Felt good!
Then I grabbed the ibuprofen, tried to straighten up & stretch. Even that felt good
cause it was sore muscles from work, not pinching pain from a blown disc.
I don't think my golf score today will be one to record, but being able to golf is a blessing.
Hot sunny today, so golf will be more fun than cutting wood, but not by much. :)

Winter cutting is better for sure, hope to do some this year..

NATE379 said:
Was almost too hot yesterday. I was welding up a cart to haul wood around with my tractor and sweat kept dripping on the inside of my welding helmet.

I did about same amount of wood a couple weekends ago, though all birch. I hauled, cut, split and corded it over 2 days, told myself I'd take my time. Usually 2.5 cords would take me a day at most. Well still with taking it slow and the day after I could barely walk. So take it nice and slow... still got another 2 months still there is snow on the ground.

Oh, if you need more wood, I know where there is some nice stuff in log length for $100/cord in Birchwood.

Wow !! If you can do 2 1/2 cord a day I need some lessons.

Bogydave, congradrulations on that new saw. I'd give about anything for a 70 deg. day. I think it's been over 90 here every day for around 2 weeks and no break in sight. Have to do a roof next week in this heat. We usually start at sunrise and work untill lunch. Take it easy with that back and enjoy that saw.

What kind of Birch is that, Dave?

bogydave said:
I don't think my golf score today will be one to record
In his book, Percy Boomer said that when he played after a night out, he swung the club in a more relaxed manner; Maybe splitting wood the day before will have the same effect. :cheese:

Go fast I guess?

When I was younger my brother and I would do wood for people for $$. The guy up the road would put 10 cords in his basement each year. We would haul it from across the street as logs and then split it while tossing it down in the basement, and then go down there and cord it. Would usually take 2-2.5 days to get it all done. One time it took 3 cause I had to work part of one day and he called my Dad saying it was taking too long and my Dad chewed our asses out. Ah... good times.

woodsmaster said:
NATE379 said:

woodsmaster said:

2 separate days (Monday & Wednesday) for me, about 1+ cords each trip.
Sorry it sounded like I was so fast, I"m not, just so sore. Good exercise & a good sore, but sore none the less.
Now 30 years ago, doable :)

Thanks Zap

Woody . Paper birch/yellow birch/red birch, depends on who you ask. http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf

New saw allot lighter, easier on the back.

Nate, I'm taking it easy, I roll anything over about 14" on & off the trailer. Work slow & steady, Takes longer but smarter. Vertical splitting 100%

1 / day is more my speed. 2 1/2 is as fast as lightning.

Also been told it's river birch and there is no red birch in Alaska. Dunno. I'm not a tree expert, just know it's birch and that's all.

bogydave said:
Paper birch/yellow birch/red birch,
Yellow is good, about the same BTU as White Ash. Paper is close to Black Cherry.
Bark, end grain, and split picks would be nice... :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.