2 questions for buck 91 Cat users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
1) Does your window get brown like the BK 1107?

2) How long of a burn time till usable coals for restart ?

Hi SmokeyCity,
I am not familiar with the BK1107 but my glass does get smoked up, around the bottom corners, toward the end of the burn. IMHO I think it lacks some in the airwash design. That being said it is not a problem for me given the stove as a whole.

If I stuff it full with dry hardwood I can get anywhere from 12 to 16 hours.
The weather we are having now I need to reload sooner than later. Suppose to get to 16 or 18 tonight.

I really love mine. I don't run the blower until it gets below freezing and it does just fine.
BTW I am heating around 1800 sq. ft. with a 1000 sq. ft. open area with the stove in the middle of the whole house.

hope this helps

David

Pretty much +1 on davidmc's comments. My lower right corner seems to stay dirty most of the time but the rest of the glass pretty clean. I'm thinking I may have a small leak in the door gasket in that area but it may be in the airflow. I know the right side doesn't get near as much air as the left side of the firebox because I almost always have to pull the right side in to the middle at some point in the burn and that may be it as well. Just cooler temps on the right side. Anyway, glass isn't an issue.

I have gotten easy 12 hour burns throughout the season except for the coldest nights and even on the lowest air setting it seems to pull more air and I also open it up sooner to get more heat. Last night was the first really cold night we have had (lower 20's) and I reloaded after about 8 hours which is what I expect to do in this weather. I don't have an open floor plan at all so I struggle to get heat to the far reaches of the house but the fan on the floor trick works well. Since you are asking about burn times I should also say that I haven't burned any oak yet except for a few pieces as it is only 1 to 1.5 year c/s/s but I'll probably be getting into it later in the winter. So far it has been pine/poplar/gum in various combinations and has performed well.

All in all I really couldn't be happier with this beast since I put my liner in back in early Dec. That and the insulation of the smoke box with the block off plate has made it an entirely different stove.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions since I'm assuming you are contemplating one. There aren't that many of us on here but not many complaints from us either. I'm sure others will chime in and I always enjoy hearing from them.

edit: Just reread and I judge burn cycles by usable heat rather than enough coals to restart. You can add add a couple or 3 hours to my number above if you just want to be able to restart without a match. 16 is probably the outside limit on the wood I've been using but curious about the oak and some hickory I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.