2 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Been looking and I can't find the answer the following 2:
If a stove is rated for 100% and the max output is 75%, what's that all about
Next, if I have really knotty wood that just doesn't split pretty, I'm sure it's usable but wanted to be sure...
thoughts, comments, concerns?
Thanks!

Knots and all will burn. Matter of fact, the knots may be the most dense part of the tree = more heat per stick.

Not sure where the 100 number is coming from, but typically a stove is rated in % of efficiency. At 75% efficient - that means 25% is waste heat (unusable) going up your stack.

Thanks Jags, I have some wood that looks real dicey. I would have tried to burn it anyhow, but your answer seals the deal. And you've shed good light on the waste issue...

James02 said:
And you've shed good light on the waste issue...

My answer was very generic and can get into quite a discussion, but I am glad it helped with the understanding of the ratings. If you search this forum, there is a whole lotta info on btu per pound, particulate emissions, blah, blah blah. ;-)

Only sucky thing about knotty pieces is its hard to stuff the firebox full. I burn them in the shoulder seasons or when I'm around during the day the keep chucking them in.

They down a tree by me (before the storm) and my buddy leant me his splitter, and there are a few pieces that are just a train wreck. Thought I'd put it out there for some thoughts.

Those knotty pieces should never go into a wood stove......you should promptly bring them ALL to me. LOL Just kidding of course. I, as well as many others on this forum call those "uglies" . I throw them in a separate pile because they don't stack well. Some throw them on top of their stacks. Either way, as Jags said they are dense and burn well.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your other question.

And, by the way, nice avatar. Every fire truck should have a bell. We got a new engine delivered a couple of weeks ago, and we gave up the chrome bumper for a bell. The bumper got chevron striping anyway.

Thanks, I'm just a guy living out his childhood fantasy ....He's a 97 Pierce

burn those ugly knots!
I have a bell on my bicycle. It's the one you ring with your thumb. I also have the banana seat. It rocks. ;-P

When I am cutting a really knotty tree, lots of tightly spaced branches, I sometimes cut the worst pieces with my saw. It would be similar to milling, only very inaccurate. This makes stacking easy and handling a bit better. They all burn and as said before "sometimes better".

For the most part I cut so that the knots are not protruding. But if you get some that are difficult, they work great for putting at the top of the wood you have in the stove. That way the knots do not interfere with making a good tight load.

Status
Not open for further replies.