2 Quick Questions On Double wall Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
The Dixettes getting chilly :)

She went to Home Depot, and picked up the double wall chimney, but couldn't find a double wall elbow.

Do they make a double wall elbow ( I've seen one, I think), and if they do, are brands interchangeable, say Duravent & Selkirk?

Or, can we mix a single wall elbow, as long as clearance to combustibles are met?

We're talking on the Timber Ridge.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

She went to Home Depot, and picked up the double wall chimney, but couldn't find a double wall elbow.

Chimney or connector?

Do they make a double wall elbow ( I've seen one, I think), and if they do, are brands interchangeable, say Duravent & Selkirk?

Yes they make them & no the different brands are not interchangeable OR compatible

Or, can we mix a single wall elbow, as long as clearance to combustibles are met?

NO

DAKSY said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Chimney or connector?

Yes they make them & no the different brands are not interchangeable OR compatible

NO

**ok so why can't you mixit if they fit and appear to connect? what if i use a single wallpipe all the way through? i think my cleareance is good all the way around? what really is the difference? if its interior and clearsall the distances its supposed to. I'm only asking so i can completely understand. I really just want to get it done!**

<>ok so why can't you mixit if they fit and appear to connect?<>

Because they are not tested to be used together & because you are putting fire in your house. If you mix & match untested combinations, you just might burn your house down

<>what if i use a single wallpipe all the way through?<>

As long as you meet the specified clearances, & EVERYTHING is installed securely & correctly, you should be good to go

<>i think my cleareance is good all the way around?<>

Think? Freddy Prinze didn't think the gun was loaded

<>what really is the difference?<>

The difference could be life & death

<>if its interior and clearsall the distances its supposed to. I'm only asking so i can completely understand. I really just want to get it done!<>

If you are installing connector pipe it HAS to be inside. If it's single-wall & unshielded, it HAS to be 18" away from combustibles. Otherwise it's NOT SAFE. I've said it before, "Fire will do two things: 1) It will HEAT your house. 2) It will EAT your house." It doesn't care about you. It doesn't even know you're there. It just wants to burn. If you do not install your wood burning stove & ALL of the necessary components correctly, the consequences can & will be deadly. I understand you want to get it done. GET IT DONE RIGHT.

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.