2 Stihls for sale in Indiana

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I thought I would get opinions on 2 saws I know are for sale, one is on craiglist and its a 075.

VERY NICE 075 SAW ,HAS A 30 INCH BAR WITH A NEW .404 PITCH CHAIN,SAW RUNS&CUTS; PERFECT, IT HAS A 111cc. 7 HP,TWO STROKE ENGINE, 155 PSI OF COMPRESSION,IT DOES HAVE BOTH AUTO AND MANUAL OILERS,VERY POWERFUL SAW,NO LONGER NEEDED.NO-EMAILS CALL OR TEXT 812-890-1536.THANKS FOR LOOKING

And I went to a small thrift shop yesterday and the guy has a 026 with I think a 16 inch bar. Wants $50 for it, says if it don't run or work, he will give my money back. I bought a Black&Decker; circular saw with a laser from him for $50 with a case and it goes for $200 new.

Any thoughts on the above stihls?

Shipper

075 is really old no chainbrake not even a hand guard. Saw the same one earlier today.

$50 for the 026 is worth a shot.

do you know what they wanted for the 075? pm me if you decide not to go for it.

50 for that 026 sounds like a good deal.

$550 for the 075 might make a nice collectors saw, not very safe.

MMaul said:

yep thats a big boy and noway to stop it

When I posted about the saws I forgot to put in the amount for the 075 which is $550. I am thinking of getting the 026 for resale. I own Dolmars now and feel they are what works best for me.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
When I posted about the saws I forgot to put in the amount for the 075 which is $550. I am thinking of getting the 026 for resale. I own Dolmars now and feel they are what works best for me.

Shipper

someone wanting to mill will be all over that 075

The 075 is overpriced unless it's truly like-new. A top-notch 075/076 work saw is $400, maybe $450. A true shelf queen or NOS, well, sky is the limit.

MMaul said:

Oh stop reading Consumer Reports. There is nothing inherently wrong with a saw without a brake, not any more than there is something wrong with a saw that isn't a Stihl CQ. I have found that the big saws with big bars (think: 075/43", 084/60") are more prone to loading the bar groove up with chips and binding the chain than they are prone to subjecting the user to vigorous kickback. They're not turning the revs, and they're usually making well calculated full-bar cuts, whether felling, blocking, or flush-cutting a stump. I've had far more issues with unintentional saw movement when working in springy scrub and saplings with "normal" saws.

Close_up.jpg

Safety quiz: what important safety feature is missing from this picture. Clue: it isn't a chainbrake.

computeruser said:
The 075 is overpriced unless it's truly like-new. A top-notch 075/076 work saw is $400, maybe $450. A true shelf queen or NOS, well, sky is the limit.

MMaul said:

Oh stop reading Consumer Reports. There is nothing inherently wrong with a saw without a brake, not any more than there is something wrong with a saw that isn't a Stihl CQ. I have found that the big saws with big bars (think: 075/43", 084/60") are more prone to loading the bar groove up with chips and binding the chain than they are prone to subjecting the user to vigorous kickback. They're not turning the revs, and they're usually making well calculated full-bar cuts, whether felling, blocking, or flush-cutting a stump. I've had far more issues with unintentional saw movement when working in springy scrub and saplings with "normal" saws.

Close_up.jpg

Safety quiz: what important safety feature is missing from this picture. Clue: it isn't a chainbrake.
CHAPS..........

That 075 isn't all that big. After I had learned on the 08, I was turned loose with a Contra Lightning "S":

Saw2001.jpg

computeruser said:

MMaul said:

Close_up.jpg

not worried about kick back on a large saw its more the chain will be spinning from cut to cut

I paid $50 for my 026 7 years ago. Guy pulls up on my job site and had a few tools and the Stihl he was trying to turn into quick cash. Said he wanted $100 for it. All I had in my wallet was $50. I could tell that it hurt him, but he took it. It has been a great saw. Easy to maintain, and I am guessing that it would be real easy to repair, but I haven't found out yet.

(No, I don't think it was "hot." This took place in metro Atlanta. That kind of stuff doesn't happen. ;-) )

If you decide to pass on the 026, please send me a PM as I'd like to buy it. :)

Bigg_Redd said:
MMaul said:

Ouch. $550 for a non-chainbreak era saw?
stihl holds its value

The 075 is more of a collectible saw. It's value is not so much in its practicality as a daily worker, it's worth a lot more as a collector. Besides, have you priced a replacement for a 111cc saw of any brand??? Let me know how many you find for under $500, with or w/o a brake!

Wet1 said:
The 075 is more of a collectible saw. It's value is not so much in its practicality as a daily worker, it's worth a lot more as a collector. Besides, have you priced a replacement for a 111cc saw of any brand??? Let me know how many you find for under $500, with or w/o a brake!

lol pretty sure that I will never be looking for one at any price brake or not 111cc is a beast for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.