20 plus cords 1600 dollars, 5 years of heat pricless!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard

Sep 17, 2008
central maine
Happened to find the right deal at the right time. I guess I better sharpen the saw.

Attachments

• woodpile.jpg
    woodpile.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 884
Around here for another $800 you could get 20 cord cut and split.

That's what it goes for around here cut and split. Could probably get small discount for quanity.

your talking face cords right?

bernard said:
Beech, rock maple ash. Around here log length is typically around $120 to $130 a cord.

Really? I'm in central Maine as well and that seems high for tree length. I paid a little over 200 a cord for seasoned, cut & split (16") delivered this fall.

The last wood I purchased was 4' rounds and it was $100ish dollars a cord. Usually we cut and split our own but I've been behind.

K

Bernard,

Please correct me if I am wrong. So that is 20+ full cord. That would equal $80 a full cord or $27 a face cord. That seems like a good deal having it dropped in your yard. Time to get cutting. Stay safe. Nice score.

Gasifier said:
Bernard,

Please correct me if I am wrong. So that is 20 full cord. That would equal $80 a full cord or $27 a face cord. That seems like a good deal having it dropped in your yard. Time to get cutting. Stay safe. Nice score.

That doesn't look like 20 full cords to me, more 12 or so?

Seems like if he says it is 5 years of heat it must be 20 full cord. At least that is what I was getting out of his post. Maybe I am wrong. Won't be the first or last time! :lol:

I've not got a good deal as bernard, but I've been paying about $93 a cord for rock maple and beech tree length. I did get some prices of $120 a cord for tree length, but if it's that high I will buy it all processed for $175. especially when you figure most everything tree length is based on a 5000lb cord. I have been getting 60,000lbs of tree length(12 cord) but when cut/split/stacked it's about 10 1/2 to 10 1/4 cords stacked. As long as it's rock maple and beech I'm happy.

flyingcow said:
I've not got a good deal as bernard, but I've been paying about $93 a cord for rock maple and beech tree length. I did get some prices of $120 a cord for tree length, but if it's that high I will buy it all processed for $175. especially when you figure most everything tree length is based on a 5000lb cord. I have been getting 60,000lbs of tree length(12 cord) but when cut/split/stacked it's about 10 1/2 to 10 1/4 cords stacked. As long as it's rock maple and beech I'm happy.

That's about what I've been hearing around here. I should have said in my last post that the 4' rounds I bought, that was a few years ago. I usually cut my own.

At $120.00 tree length I would pay extra and have it processed, then again I just cut a couple of cords into 16" sticks so maybe today isn't the best day to ask me. :p

K

Last spring I bought five truckloads of OAK 8in and smaller 18in in lenght for $1500. He said it was 15 full cords. I split it and stacked it and it came out to just over 17 cords. That is for the future but I didn't see how I could cut it for that. I had my woods logged this summer and I'm in the prosses of pulling out the tops to cut up this spring. Had 85 beech, hard maple, and cherry taken out so I think I'll be getting ahead and have dry wood for years ahead. I'm getting up in years,70, so getting way ahead is good insurance . Ebven though I can keep up with most I know that sooner or later in the next 50 years I'll slow down so I'm just trying to keep dry wood for my gaser.
leaddog

leaddog said:
Last spring I bought five truckloads of OAK 8in and smaller 18in in lenght for $1500. He said it was 15 full cords. I split it and stacked it and it came out to just over 17 cords. That is for the future but I didn't see how I could cut it for that. I had my woods logged this summer and I'm in the prosses of pulling out the tops to cut up this spring. Had 85 beech, hard maple, and cherry taken out so I think I'll be getting ahead and have dry wood for years ahead. I'm getting up in years,70, so getting way ahead is good insurance . Ebven though I can keep up with most I know that sooner or later in the next 50 years I'll slow down so I'm just trying to keep dry wood for my gaser. leaddog

leaddog, THAT was a hell of a deal! Processed hardwood at that price, nice. Glad to hear you got that deal. Also glad to hear your health is good. How much total wood do you have set up for your gasser? And how long will that last you?

Gasifier said:
leaddog said:
Last spring I bought five truckloads of OAK 8in and smaller 18in in lenght for $1500. He said it was 15 full cords. I split it and stacked it and it came out to just over 17 cords. That is for the future but I didn't see how I could cut it for that. I had my woods logged this summer and I'm in the prosses of pulling out the tops to cut up this spring. Had 85 beech, hard maple, and cherry taken out so I think I'll be getting ahead and have dry wood for years ahead. I'm getting up in years,70, so getting way ahead is good insurance . Ebven though I can keep up with most I know that sooner or later in the next 50 years I'll slow down so I'm just trying to keep dry wood for my gaser. leaddog

leaddog, THAT was a hell of a deal! Processed hardwood at that price, nice. Glad to hear you got that deal. Also glad to hear your health is good. How much total wood do you have set up for your gasser? And how long will that last you?
The guy I bought it from said he and his brother would cut and deliver a 3 cord truck load a day. He was trucking it about 30miles in a big dump box truck. After talking to him he said they were clearcutting a large parcel and probably had a couple more years left. I figure they must have been getting paid to clear cut it also or else I don't see how they could make any money. My neighbor bought several loads also and then several other people I knew.
As of right now I have about 22cords but when I cut this spring that will go up fast. I use probably 6 to 10 cords my self depending on quality as I burn year round, heat,dhw, hottub, and waterbed. My son also burns so he helps me. I think this spring when I start to chunk up the tops I have a wood hauling-stacking party and all the family that deer hunts here can repay me for all the venison I fatten up. Had a good year this year. Two big 8's, 6, 3 and a spike plus a doe.
You just have to really enjoy this country living and this fall and winter has really been great. Every time I'm out I see something amazing. The other day I saw a cormorant that a bald eagle knocked out of the air and tried to pick up off the ice on the lake less than 50 yards from me. Tried about 6 times but it was too heavy and was to close to me so he gave up. Gods country for sure.
leaddog

Pat53 said:
Gasifier said:
Bernard,

Please correct me if I am wrong. So that is 20 full cord. That would equal $80 a full cord or $27 a face cord. That seems like a good deal having it dropped in your yard. Time to get cutting. Stay safe. Nice score.

That doesn't look like 20 full cords to me, more 12 or so?
That doesn't look like 12 cords to me if the wood in the 2 piles is it. Randy

When he gets it cut, split and stacked I guess we will know.

leaddog said:
Gasifier said:
leaddog said:

The guy I bought it from said he and his brother would cut and deliver a 3 cord truck load a day. He was trucking it about 30miles in a big dump box truck. After talking to him he said they were clearcutting a large parcel and probably had a couple more years left. I figure they must have been getting paid to clear cut it also or else I don't see how they could make any money. My neighbor bought several loads also and then several other people I knew.
As of right now I have about 22cords but when I cut this spring that will go up fast. I use probably 6 to 10 cords my self depending on quality as I burn year round, heat,dhw, hottub, and waterbed. My son also burns so he helps me. I think this spring when I start to chunk up the tops I have a wood hauling-stacking party and all the family that deer hunts here can repay me for all the venison I fatten up. Had a good year this year. Two big 8's, 6, 3 and a spike plus a doe.
You just have to really enjoy this country living and this fall and winter has really been great. Every time I'm out I see something amazing. The other day I saw a cormorant that a bald eagle knocked out of the air and tried to pick up off the ice on the lake less than 50 yards from me. Tried about 6 times but it was too heavy and was to close to me so he gave up. Gods country for sure.
leaddog

Were those muley's or whitetail and how do you count tines . total or one side. sounds like a great year never the less.
I managed to get 250 lbs. of processed Roosevelt Elk this year but not much time for hunting .

huff

leaddog said:
Gasifier said:
leaddog said:

leaddog

You've got a wood fired waterbed? We used to have a waterbed - but wood fired? I'd like to hear more about that.

Huffdawg: They were whitetailand the count is on both sides. This area doesn't produce old whitetails so trophy heads are hard to come by. The hunter density can get to over 30per sq mile and around me I estimate they took over 20 deer in this sq mile and maybe more. We have a long seasons starting in sept thru dec so they get thinned out. Cars also get ALOT. That said I have about 20 still running around right now on my 100 acres.

Maple1: I have my water bed heated with three coils of pex wraped around the inside frame. It is regulated using the heater control opening up a zone valve with thermo-syphen moving the water. Works very well and makes a nice warm bed to crawl into at nite. It works for me as I heat my water all year long. I keep thinking about going solar in the summer but just to many projects.
leaddog

the math useally dosent lie .2 tri axle trucks loaded up over the head board plus 1 trailer load nice tight loads

bernard said:
the math useally dosent lie .2 tri axle trucks loaded up over the head board plus 1 trailer load nice tight loads

That sounds like 20+ cords to me. A tri-axle trailer with a full load should be good for 10.

I'm impressed on the waterbed idea. Some of the best sleeps of my life were on ours - we retired it a few years ago though, and one likely won't be coming back.

If you put a ruler on it you have the 20 cords then. The pics of the 2 piles look like about 9 to 10 cords, Randy

Hi
Just told the wife about the woodfired waterbed.She said sounded great ....but ours wouln't be coming back inside.
I really miss it,never had back trouble till it got retired.
Sigh sometimes getting older sucks.
Thomas

salecker said:
Hi
Just told the wife about the woodfired waterbed.She said sounded great ....but ours wouln't be coming back inside.
I really miss it,never had back trouble till it got retired.
Sigh sometimes getting older sucks.
Thomas

Salecker is your boiler going and your house built yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.