$200 Wood Rack Complete--Just in Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
OK, so I finished my new wood rack just in time--started snowing half an hour later. Anyway, it's solid, may need a couple braces in back for left/right solidity (though I think the wood itself will add that, I've got some extra wood). Cost approximately $200 and will hold about 4 cords. Given that we burn less than 2/year, I'll always be at least two years ahead.

Was planning on something a bit more extravagant, but with a second child on the way, a ton of wood waitin' to be split, and, ultimately, for something to hold wood, I'm happy.

Peace out,

S

Attachments

• 2011-10-29_13-29-47_195small.jpg
    2011-10-29_13-29-47_195small.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 2011-10-29_13-30-02_242small.jpg
    2011-10-29_13-30-02_242small.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,013
thinkxingu said:
OK, so I finished my new wood rack just in time--started snowing half an hour later. Anyway, it's solid, may need a couple braces in back for left/right solidity (though I think the wood itself will add that, I've got some extra wood). Cost approximately $200 and will hold about 4 cords. Given that we burn less than 2/year, I'll always be at least two years ahead.

Was planning on something a bit more extravagant, but with a second child on the way, a ton of wood waitin' to be split, and, ultimately, for something to hold wood, I'm happy.

Peace out,

S

Nice work S. I like being able to see the wood stacked and that provides good air flow. When I move my wood in under my covered porch for the winter I leave 2-3 inches between the piles to allow for a little better air flow under there. I agree with you about the braces across the back. It would be a shame to see your structure compromised after all that work. Put them on, then you will never find out if it is strong enough now or not. Thanks for sharing the pics, and have a good burning season man.

Nice, can you share the dimensions and materials? Are those two sheets of plywood on the bottom? What's the roof made of, and what's the slope of it? Just for future reference that is!~

Nice job

Shawn

Tick,
Because I wanted to fit this in as close as possible to the property line, the dimensions are a bit screwy: Each 'side' is 99" (8' 2x4's with 2x4 ends), and I connected the two in the middle. The front supports are 7' (I was going to use 8 footers here, too, but that was too high), the rear are 6'. You can't see, but I cut out a portion of the uprights for the headers to sit into (think it's called rabbiting?) and in the middle I cut portions out to overlap/secure the headers between the two sides. Floor is rough cut (#4, but not sure how consistent that is between mills) planks, 1x12. I made it so it can hold 3, 20" pieces front to back (5'), an average of 6.5' high, and 16' wide for a total of 4.1 cords. Let me know if there's anything else.

S

Very nice, simply but very effective. What did you use for the roof?

Great little wood shed. I currently have my wood stacked on open pallets. Would like to put together a wood shed or two. Just don't have time now. I've got too much wood to split.

200.00 bucks awesome work!

I think Ive seen that shed somewhere before....... hmmmmmmm?

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 750
  • shed2.jpg
    shed2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 743
that sure is a purty good looking wood bin/shed/rack lol

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll be sure to add some bracing. Wood fan, this is definitely a mix of many designs here!

S

Looks good and I hope you post some pictures after you fill that shed.

Great looking shed! Are you sure the roof can handle the snowload there in NH? I would be concerned about the floor too with tons of wood added to it.. I had issues with 2x6" with a 6' span that is why I ask, easier to beef up now rather than after the wood has been added.. Sorry to be a fly in the ointment just hate to see you have a problem once you start adding wood and snow load to the roof..

Ray

Okay, I'll throw my .02 in also. That was what I thought when I looked at it, that a little beefing up now could save an "OMG!! (pix)" post in Feb or March. If you don't go that route, you may want to pick up a roof rake so as to keep the load light on the shed roof. I think that the bracing to prevent lateral shift is a really good idea, too.

Good job. Will look even better when you fill it. Nothing like having a good place to store your firewood in a nice dry area, without using tarps.

I didn't build it any heavier duty because the one I'm replacing was 2x4 over a five foot span and it didn't have any trouble holding 4 feet of wood- this one has less than four foot span- with the blocks, it's close to three. As for the roof, it's 1/2 inch plywood with 24" on center rafters, spanning six feet under a bunch of pines at a good angle- the most snow I ever had on my other one was about six inches.

I'm gonna add the side braces today.

S

thinkxingu said:
I didn't build it any heavier duty because the one I'm replacing was 2x4 over a five foot span and it didn't have any trouble holding 4 feet of wood- this one has less than four foot span- with the blocks, it's close to three. As for the roof, it's 1/2 inch plywood with 24" on center rafters, spanning six feet under a bunch of pines at a good angle- the most snow I ever had on my other one was about six inches.

I'm gonna add the side braces today.

S

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp?species=Eastern+White+Pine&size=2x8&grade=No.+2&member=Rafters+(Snow+Load)&deflectionlimit=L/360&spacing=24&wet=No&incised=No&liveload=20&snowload=20&deadload=10&submit=Calculate+Maximum+Horizontal+Span

This is the calculator I used and I went a little under, the roof has 2x8's - 24" on center rafters .. As long as your snow doesn't build up you should be OK but the floor still concerns me.. For the floor I have 2x6's with a 6' span and when I was loading the oak my joist hangers started to rip out (the floor sank 1/2" in minutes!) and luckily I had some 8x8's laying around so I shoved them under the floor to support the joist ends where the hangers are located.. I got very lucky that I had something right there that fit perfectly..

Ray

I have six 2 x 4, 15" apart with just over a three foot span (4 feet minus 4 inches of block under both ends. All are end nailed with 4 inch nails and all corners/middles on blocks. I'll find out soon enough!

S

Nice!
Just stuff it full, the wood will hold up the roof if it's jammed in there. No snow load problems!
Wood rack today,
Great wood shed when full :)

The only thing better than a newly built woodshed is a newly built woodshed full of seasoned firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.