2003 st croix hastings pellet stove HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When in start up watch the auger from the back side and see if it is turning at the correct rpm. It is a 2 rpm motor I think. These stoves are known for the upper bushing getting stiff and slowing down the auger and making the auger motor struggle. A easy check is also to pull auger motor off and try turning the auger by hand. With hopper empty it should turn with not much effort. If you need pliers to muscle it around the auger needs pulled and shaft cleaned up and oiled.

Reactions: Mt Bob
You can adjust the feed period with moving a jumper or selection of program depending on which control board you have. Are you sure the bronze auger bushings are not seizing, especially the top one? Auger motor might be struggling to feed enough pellets due to amount of torque required

You can adjust the feed period with moving a jumper or selection of program depending on which control board you have. Are you sure the bronze auger bushings are not seizing, especially the top one? Auger motor might be struggling to feed enough pellets due to amount of torque required
Hello,
Yes I have checked the auger shaft bushings when I pulled out the auger shaft and cleaned them up along with the shaft. Put a little anti seize lubricant on the bushings and shaft when I put it back together. The auger motor is brand new along with every other electrical parts that can be replace on the stove. I could have bought a cheap stove from TSC for what I have in parts now. Here is a picture of my control board. Thanks

KIMG4096.JPG

What is your damper set at,and have you tried different adjustments? Have you tried the feed rate and combustion trim settings? All this is explained in the manual.

The Cycle time is the total of the ON Time & OFF Time added together. The ON Times are constant, so this means that the OFF Time is increased or decreased, depending on the program chosen. Program 1. The Cycle Time is 11.5 seconds. This program is only to be used with the Auburn model. (DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITH THE PRESCOTT SERIES). Program 2. The Cycle Time is 13 seconds. This program is only to be used with the Auburn model. (DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITH THE PRESCOTT SERIES). Program 3. The Cycle Time is 11.5 seconds. This Program offers Self-Ignition and is only for units that have the Versa Grate system & Igniter installed. This program is the default program for use with the Prescott EXP and EXL and is for use with PFI Premium Pellets. (DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITH THE AUBURN). Program 4. The Cycle Time is 10 seconds. This Program offers Self-Ignition and is only for units that have the Versa Grate system & Igniter installed and is for use with PFI Premium Pellets. (DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITH THE AUBURN). Program 4 is for adjusting for variations that occur with PFI Premium Pellets. Ask your dealer before using this Program in your unit. See page 25 for more information on variations between different brands of pellets. Figure 19 Changing the program on the Control Board To change the Program the stove must be in the OFF position, the unit must be completely cooled down so the Proof of Fire Switch is Open and the Thermostat slide switch must be in the Manual mode. (See figure 19) Press & hold the Auger Feed Button, then press the Trim High & Low Button at the same time. The LED lights that indicate the heat level will flash. The number of times the lights Flash will indicate which program is running. Program 1 – LED lights flash once Program 2 – LED lights flash twice Program 3 –LED lights flash three times Program 4 – LED lights flash four times

I'll time my older Prescott initial pellet feed to see how many seconds it loads pellets. Know it's large flame during start cycle and never had a failed start/run. It's a 2005 or 2006 model with an older digital board than yours.

What is your damper set at,and have you tried different adjustments? Have you tried the feed rate and combustion trim settings? All this is explained in the manual.
Hello, damper is set the thickness of a pencil. Have not tried the feed rate or combustion trim settings yet. Will have to wait till the wife gets home from work and see where the manual is at. Thanks

Hello,
JZM2cc , Will try this adjustment on my stove later today. Thank you. Was looking at a leaf blower to buy and hook up to my outside exhaust pipe. Make it so much easier than dragging the stove thru the house every time it needs cleaning.

I've had good luck with this style blower, really sucks the ash out well from outside exhaust pipe. I do this about once a month.

Kool I will check it out also, Thanks. I found my book and I think I got it programed for more pellets. It looked like a bigger flame. Will try it again in the morning. Got a little warm in here and turned it off. Will order a new circuit board so my thermostat works again. My leaf blower is a one way 30 yr old blower and only use it to clean out the gutters on the roof. Thanks again for the info.

jzm2cc , Thank You , My stove starts up and burns without adding any pellets to the burn pot. Amen. The program setting in the manual states : On first led light is normal setting and the first led light and 4th led light is low setting and first led light and 5th led light is high setting. Guess I should have looked for the manual sooner , could have saved myself some grief. Never had to mess with the settings since 2003. Guess I am not learning anything if I dont make mistakes. The people on this forum are great. Thank You Friends all for your help. Hope you all have a good New Year

Been fighting the damn virus this week so haven't had a chance to time my Prescotts initial pellet feed during startups.

Note, the settings you are referring to are only for low burn (aka #1 heat). With LED 1 and 4 on it feeds a bit less on low setting, whereas 1 and 5 LED feeds a bit more when operating on low.

I'm thinking your Hastings should use program #3 which is for automatic lighting stoves and uses a 11.5 second total period. How to set this was detailed in earlier post, taken from the control manual for your control board.

Happy New Years, sure hope 2022 is a better one than 2021!

Been fighting the damn virus this week so haven't had a chance to time my Prescotts initial pellet feed during startups.

Note, the settings you are referring to are only for low burn (aka #1 heat). With LED 1 and 4 on it feeds a bit less on low setting, whereas 1 and 5 LED feeds a bit more when operating on low.

I'm thinking your Hastings should use program #3 which is for automatic lighting stoves and uses a 11.5 second total period. How to set this was detailed in earlier post, taken from the control manual for your control board.

Happy New Years, sure hope 2022 is a better one than 2021!
jzm2cc : Hope you can shake the virus. I had it a year ago. In bed for a week and 102 temp. Thought I was going to call the mortuary myself. I had all 3 shots already , Get better friend. Happy my stove is running again. A hard fought 10 rounds. 😄:):):)