2004 Harmon PELLET PRO 38 PLUS for $500 good or bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2011
North east PA
Hi folks I have been looking for a used stove to replace my wood burner in the basement for next year.I played with my Qudrafire classic bay 1200 two years ago and it was up to the task.But at that time it would use the same cost as oil. Fast forward to 2011 that is not the case and I am now getting dealer pricing on pellets so that has changed the Math from before also. I have the classic bay in the other side of the two family house now.Is the Harman up to it or not.The Harman is rated at 43K btu and the classic is rated at 47k btu. What are the good and bad point's on this stove? I would make a duct connector to force the heat up staires to the two floor registers. I did not do it last time and t did heat the house running on medium at around two bags a day average for February and March during my test.The guy has two stoves and used this stove for one year in his basement. Do to a remodel it is now in his garage unhooked up. Looking on the web I believe that stove has a t stat and self igniter which is a plus. Thanks for any input you might have.

p38 is a manual start stove. I heat my 1600 sq ft basement with it. and it works great. I leave mine burn 24/7. I heated the house with it one winter before i installed a corn stove upstairs. it does have a tstat hookup. It will burn on what ever you have it set at when not calling for heat, when stat calls for heat it goes up to high untill stat is satisfied. then back to 2 or what ever you have the dial set at. p38 is not the easiest stove to lite, just takes some practice. I would not want to lite mine everyday. $500 is a steal! In 6 yrs i have had to replace circuit board and esp probe about $300. The p43 is the p38 stove w/ auto ignite. i have a newer house 1600sq ft basement w/ 1600 up stairs.

Grab it

Eric

rickwa You had said it is a pita to start-your stove. What do you have to do to start it ?I have to clean the classic Bay once a week most times but now and then twice a week. Would I miss the self igniter. My wife is not a stove person and she would never get it started if I was not home for some reason.It may be the buy of a life time but I do not want to recrect the manual start. Get this I got the classick Bay 1200 for nothing zipp noda. I gave it a good cleaning one snap disk and then a new computer chip that later I still had trouble with it. It all turned out to be the pot and ash door not closing tight do to rust and dropping pellets in o the ash pan. A good wirer brushing and some never seize in the pivot studs and as run like a charm for 3 winters now.I will call the guy with the Harman and make arraignment's to go look at it.Thanks for the in put.

I add pellets and gel and lite, leave door open with comb fan on for about 10 min then shut door and it usually takes off. My st croix lancaster I add pellets and gel, lite stove and turn on then leave for work. always lites. I only shut my p-38 down when ash pan is full. about 30 bags? once per month or so. very easy stove to service and clean. Yuo better jump on it before it is gone.

I sent an E mail via Caigs list and received no response to it on the stove. I checked this morning thinking I some how goofed it up and the add was pulled or flagged so not sure what happened. So back to looking. As a True Value store owner I can get an Engleder at dealer pricing which I may do If I can not find a good used one to my liking before next fall.

I bought my 2004 used Harman P-38 plus 3 yrs ago for $400 with 34 bags of pellets. I haven`t had any problems yet.

$500 for one is still a steal. 3 yrs ago they were selling new for about $2 ,000.
It`s not an easy stove to light if you go by the manual that recommends that lousy , costly starting gel.
I light mine every day in the shoulder seasons and rarely does it fail to light.
I wet and mix a cup of pellets with either 91% alcohol or charcoal lighter fluid and drain off the excess. Dump in the burn pot and light right away with a $1 butane trigger lighter. No need to rush but you don`t want to allow whatever stuff you use to linger in the pot too long and build up excessive explosive vapors.
Never have I gotten a poof any worse than I get with the gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.