2010-2011 winter prediction, maybe you want to rethink your wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It says a bit colder but dry. If I'm not moving lots of heavy wet snow it can get as cold as it wants. I have more than enough wood in the back yard.

Those 2 foot snow falls of rain that was slightly snowy just about killed me.

Matt

Says where I live cold and snowy.....cant wait. :cheese:

Bring it on! I'm ready for the cold weather and already looking forward to ice fishing.

I'm still waiting for Spring. Had two days of it in between 90 degree days that started in April. Not ready for Winter until I have Spring damn it. >:-(

Colder than average for us again in TN, looks like (assuming accurate prediction is accurate). Last winter was the coldest in 30 odd years, maybe we'll go for a tie or break another record. Anyway, this summer has been spectacular wood seasoning weather. We hit the 90s in early June and never looked back. I've got a cord of pine that I fully expect to spontaneously combust any day now. :lol: I can walk by the shed, and it smells like someone spilled a bottle of Pine-Sol.

No need to re-think my wood pile. No need to pay much heed to a weather prognosticator who thinks that in July he knows what's going to happen next winter, in any more detail than it's probably going to be cold in lots of places and it'll snow a bunch here and there. Just be prepared for whatever. Rick

fossil said:
No need to re-think my wood pile. No need to pay much heed to a weather prognosticator who thinks that in July he knows what's going to happen next winter, in any more detail than it's probably going to be cold in lots of places and it'll snow a bunch here and there. Just be prepared for whatever. Rick

That is what I said last year about that pompous windbag Joe Bastardi at Accuweather and I'll be damned if every thing he said didn't happen to us this year. Nothing I could have done about it, but the fool called every monster event that landed on us.

Accuweather can't tell me what the temperature is going to be next Wednesday but Bastardi nailed it on the winter below average temps and monster snows last year.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

That is what I said last year about that pompous windbag Joe Bastardi at Accuweather and I'll be damned if every thing he said didn't happen to us this year. Nothing I could have done about it, but the fool called every monster event that landed on us.

Accuweather can't tell me what the temperature is going to be next Wednesday but Bastardi nailed it on the winter below average temps and monster snows last year.

Yeah, man...all I'm sayin' is get yourself into a position where you're ready ahead of time for a couple of back-to-back winters of unusually crappy weather, and then work to keep yourself that way. Likely you'll never get caught short of wood. In my mind, July '10 isn't the time of year to be looking at my wood supply for winter '10-'11. That should all be taken care of by now. I don't mean all stacked/shedded...but certainly on-hand and seasoned. I'm collecting wood this year, but it's for '11-'12 and out a couple years beyond that. As far as predicting the weather that far out with any accuracy...I don't think we're there (actually, I don't think we'll ever be there...way too complex and too many variables. Does Bastardi know when and where the next majpr volanic eruption's going to occur?). Just git yerself a whole dang buttload of wood split and stacked and keep gittin' it. If you don't burn it all this coming winter, you did good...and you can burn it next winter. And the winter after that. Rick

fossil said:
Just git yerself a whole dang buttload of wood split and stacked and keep gittin' it. If you don't burn it all this coming winter, you did good...and you can burn it next winter. And the winter after that. Rick

Yeah that is what is bothering me. I am down to a two year supply and the old bod ain't seeming to get up to getting that third year in the back of the stacks like before. It'll happen but damn it it is usually done by now. By the end of May before.

Time to look at buying that third years wood but I just can't bring myself to buy the stuff yet. :shut: Four years ago I told the little brown haired girl I only had two more years of it in me so I guess I am still ahead of that game.

Hmmm. For NM, "about average" with an earlier onset of cold temps. After last winter, I'll take that. I'm hoping to have another 80 sq ft (approx. 65k btu/day) of passive solar up by then, which in theory will delay the 'first burn' date and lower wood usage overall for the upstairs. Won't make any difference in the basement.

Capt said:
Wacky1 said:

I couldn't agree more!

Hey, there is a reason why he is called WACKY1.
You must be Capt Crazy.
:p

BrotherBart said:
I'm still waiting for Spring. Had two days of it in between 90 degree days that started in April. Not ready for Winter until I have Spring damn it. >:-(

HaHa! I was just saying I felt that way yesturday! Hot humid heat seemed to roll right in this year. I, however, am ready for fall/winter regardless of the lack of spring.

I would like to see more big snows like we had in Dec. last year here in WNC.

north of 60 said:
Capt said:
Wacky1 said:

I couldn't agree more!

Hey, there is a reason why he is called WACKY1.
You must be Capt Crazy.
:p
:lol: :exclaim:

In The Northeast This Winter:
Colder Than Average Temperatures but also it will be drier than average.
Storm track looks to remain farther to the southeast than usual, but further northwest than last year.
A few BIG snowstorms still likely. (6″+ Storms)
Will have a colder season than last year.

I like that, I have enough wood but I am responsible for 6 properties dryer sounds real nice. Being salary I sure didn't like all the overtime this last winter keeping the lots open and the sidewalks somewhat passable. I was really getting tired of people expecting there to be 0 inches on the ground despite coming down at an 1 or 2 an hour.

Shutting up now.

EatenByLimestone said:
It says a bit colder but dry. If I'm not moving lots of heavy wet snow it can get as cold as it wants. I have more than enough wood in the back yard.

Those 2 foot snow falls of rain that was slightly snowy just about killed me.

Matt

Usually, I'm a huge fan of snow, but what we got last year was ridiculous. Until I get a wood shed, I am more than happy to hear it's going to be drier than last year. I also had to shovel my roof four times last year. Nearly spilled my rum.

We are just recovering from June. Let summer reign until December.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/images/june2010temps.jpg

But probably not. Here's what NOAA is forcasting at this point. If they are right, we are in for cold and snow. Fortunately our wood piles have never been in better shape. But it can still wait as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=4
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=7

BeGreen said:
We are just recovering from June. Let summer reign until December.

But probably not. Here's what NOAA is forcasting at this point. If they are right, we are in for cold and snow. Fortunately our wood piles have never been in better shape. But it can still wait as far as I'm concerned:

Gosh BG, you guys can't catch a break up there lately. I spoke to a friend yesterday who just returned from a fishing trip to Alaska, he goes up every year at this time. He said the same was true up there; colder and wetter than normal.

fossil said:
No need to pay much heed to a weather prognosticator Rick

Agreed. All the weather procotologists around here predict crappy weather and they hate their sh1tty job.

I'll take cold anyday, but like everyone else has said, last years snowfalls for the southeast was ridiculous. It makes doing anything outside 10x more difficult. Plus we just aren't use to it so that makes it 20x more difficult. Bring on the cold, but not the snow.

I'm with the "be ready for anything crowd"

I don't know whether to believe this or not - but I do know that after the last couple of years I no longer beleive in the concept of "normal" anything weather wise.

Last summer it was rain almost every weekend. At one point my back door would barely open from wood swelling and you could pretty much write off outdoor activities for the season. Then come the fall and we had the windows OPEN on thanksgiving. We all know about the ridiculous snow mid-winter. In March we had t 2 "100 year rain storms" in 2 weeks - widespread basement flooding, entire towns underwater - and the wife and I almost couldn't get to work for a week due to road closings.

And with this early July heatwave Ive run the AC more in the last 2 weeks than we did all last summer. I think one day last week we hit 102F. In BOSTON.

Weather patterns are changing whether we chose to believe it or not and its not going to be good for those of us who would rather have it chilly rather than hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.