2010 Work Finished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
2010 was a good year for processing wood and I finished cutting more cherry today above the brook. Thanks for putting up with my post all year and I look forward on driving you nuts for another year.

Attached are some pictures of the cherry I worked on today, I think online they had a temp of 54 today. Pictures 2360 and 2361 is the first small cherry,2362 I winched part of the cherry out due to some widow makers hanging close to the tree,2364 I did some stump removal & 2365 I did some cleaning after filing the chain,2366 is the second small cherry I worked on and the last two I'm getting ready to haul one load home and call it a day.

zap

Happy New Year

Attachments

• 100_2360.jpg
    100_2360.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_2361.jpg
    100_2361.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_2362.jpg
    100_2362.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_2364.jpg
    100_2364.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_2365.jpg
    100_2365.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_2366.jpg
    100_2366.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 100_2374.jpg
    100_2374.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_2376.jpg
    100_2376.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 290
Happy New Year to you as well, Zap same to the Mrs. also. How many acres do you have in your piece of paradise? Really impressive.

Zap, not sure about the rest of the crew here, but I look forward to these posts. The few trees I've taken down have shown me how much work is involved in getting your wood that way.
I thought it was hard work bucking up the log loads I've had delivered. HA! Not compared to felling first.
I hope to get over to my sis-in-laws place next year to do what you're doing. Quite a bit of deadfall to cull first, then a lot of maple and oak to take down. The deadfall may take a while though.
Keep the picumentaries coming. Love 'em.
Almost forgot, Happy New Year!

PapaDave said:
Zap, not sure about the rest of the crew here, but I look forward to these posts. The few trees I've taken down have shown me how much work is involved in getting your wood that way.
I thought it was hard work bucking up the log loads I've had delivered. HA! Not compared to felling first.
I hope to get over to my sis-in-laws place next year to do what you're doing. Quite a bit of deadfall to cull first, then a lot of maple and oak to take down. The deadfall may take a while though.
Keep the picumentaries coming. Love 'em.
Almost forgot, Happy New Year!

Thanks PapaDave, I always was told that this was hard work (plus hard on the body) but never realized until the last couple of years. On the felling end of this business I'm still green behind the ears, about 18-19 cord cut and I can count on one hand the amount of trees felled(more like three fingers)

Happy New Year
Zap

You certainly worked hard this year getting ahead on wood - you have a right to be proud. Best wishes for a Happy New Year and good luck with future cutting! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
You certainly worked hard this year getting ahead on wood - you have a right to be proud. Best wishes for a Happy New Year and good luck with future cutting! Cheers!

NH_Wood thanks, looks like 2011 will start off with a Sugar Maple in the a.m.

Happy New Year

Zap

zapny said:
I'm getting ready to haul one load home and call it a day.
A day? Heck, call it a year! Man, I wish I had your energy and your quad!

LLigetfa said:
zapny said:
I'm getting ready to haul one load home and call it a day.
A day? Heck, call it a year! Man, I wish I had your energy and your quad!

It all started last year with this load of logs and some guys on this site talking about how important it is having seasoned wood.

Happy New Year
Zap

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_0402.jpg
    100_0402.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 223
Better get crackin', you only got 365 days to get in another two years' o' wood! :wow:

Gotta stop and smell the roses sometimes though. Kick back with a donut in one hand and the Mrs in the other ;-)

Rock on!

zapny said:
It all started last year with this load of logs

Going out into the woods and getting it yourself helps put a value on that load of logs. How many of your trailer loads do you think are in that load of logs? With my little tractor, I could probably pull 2 or 3 of the small ones but probably only one of the big ones per trip. That is a whole bunch of trips to the back forty, let alone the dropping and winching to someplace I can skid from. However, it is hard to put a value on quality time in the woods especially with your scenery. Happy new year and keep those picumentaries coming.

Nice work Zap as always. Happy New Year everyone!!

Happy New Year Zap and all the rest of the posters here.

2010 was a mixed year for us. We had both highs and lows. I did not cut as much wood as normal but still managed a little over 6 cord last winter and so far this winter have a little over 2 cord. I hope to cut a lot more yet this year if the weather cooperates. Now they are predicting a big cold spell for mid-January but we'll see. We are coming off of some mighty warm temperatures and the thermometer is dropping today. We did hit 50 yesterday! It was 48 when I got up this morning and 43 now. Predicting 18 tonight. That is a big change!

We are sending the cold temp your way BW, 30 below wind chills here now, we had 49 degree weather a couple days ago.

Please feel free to keep it. We don't have any greed here so we'll let you have all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.