2012/13 is Done, 2011/12 is Done Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Finally got the last of 2012/13 wood stacked and replaced the ash I stole from next years stacks. 2011/12 is on the right half, 2012/13 is on the left. A little over 4 cords per side.

IMG_3466.jpg

Here is this year's (except the stack in the middle which belongs to next year. I had it stacked a little too close so pulled out a row of pallets and put it here.

IMG_3470.jpg

And finally, my quick dry row of ash, pine and silver maple that is also for this winter.

IMG_3468.jpg

Now, to get my chimney cleaned (yes, it is still not done), get the new stove installed and then on to 2013/14.

Nice stacks. I like the pallets on top thing. I almost wonder if you used cap nails with the tarps on top of them, if it would hold up in the wind.

Wendell, you have been busy! I agree, get that stove in and get ready. The heating season is getting close now.

Hey, before long you will have more wood on hand than I do. Good job.

Thanks!

What are cap nails? I don't know that the pallets are going to stay there. I might just buy some cheap paving block to hol dthe tarp down. They are awesome pallets. Solid oak and built extremely well and when I was cutting my wood 16" they were perfect as they are 36" square. Now that I'm cutting at 22", I'm getting a lot of overhang which I don't think will be a problem but will feel better if there was more support.

Dennis, yes, I have been busy. It does feel good to finally get this finished. I have that elm to split but until I move some of that wood from my "quick dry" row, I have no where to put it. Where that row is I'm going to put another set up like I have in the first picture so will then have 4 years seasoning at all times. So, no I will not ever catch up to you. :cheese:

And I got my chimney cleaned today!!

I see you have this year's wood really close to the house Wendell. Not alot of wasted steps. I am assuming you move this year's wood this close every year. I have been busy too. This is only my second year of burning and I think I am up to 15 cords. My right elbow is starting to feel the pain of all the splitting by hand. Well in theory I can slow down, but I figure if I keep going I can sell some if I get too far ahead.

Looks good! How big do you split on average? The splits look small but pictures can be deceiving.

Looks good Wendell. All that wood will make your new stove very happy. Do you have shorties cut for your Morso?

You got a 395xp and all your wood done? That Bites!

wendell said:
Finally got the last of 2012/13 wood stacked and replaced the ash I stole from next years stacks. 2011/12 is on the right half, 2012/13 is on the left. A little over 4 cords per side.

IMG_3466.jpg

Here is this year's (except the stack in the middle which belongs to next year. I had it stacked a little too close so pulled out a row of pallets and put it here.

IMG_3470.jpg

And finally, my quick dry row of ash, pine and silver maple that is also for this winter.

IMG_3468.jpg

Now, to get my chimney cleaned (yes, it is still not done), get the new stove installed and then on to 2013/14.

nice stacks...but you have them mixed and your other this years stack has a middle one that is next year.
too confusing for a slow learner like myself.
you kinda reminded me of Curley from the 3 Stooges with the, here's is this year's except for the one in the middle...

Moe: "Hey, what's the idea of the three watches?"
Curly: "That's how I tell the time."
Moe: "How do you tell time?"
Curly: (points to each watch) "This one's ten minute's fast, this one's twenty minutes slow, the one in the middle is stopped at two o' clock!"
Moe: "Well, how do you tell the time?"
Curly: "I take the ten minutes on this one, and subtract it from the twenty minutes on that one, then I divide by the two in the middle!"
Moe: "Well, what time is it now?"
Curly: (pulls out a pocketwatch) "Oh, about ten minutes to four."

:)

SolarAndWood said:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-100111688/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

seems like the pallets could give a nice air gap under the tarp, as long as the tarp doesn't get shredded in the wind.

I didn't you use the nails you show but I did put pallets on the top of the Stackenpilezenhausen for that very reason. That has all my wood for the Morso for the next few years so I will see how it worked when bust it open and start burning.

Those stacks are almost 6" tall so having pallets on top would certainly help stabilize it.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I see you have this year's wood really close to the house Wendell. Not alot of wasted steps. I am assuming you move this year's wood this close every year.

No, I just did it this year because I needed the room. I'm way too lazy to move wood any more than I have to.

rdust said:
Looks good! How big do you split on average? The splits look small but pictures can be deceiving.

I think it is bigger than it looks but I do have that split a little smaller as it will be burned in the fall.

smokinjay said:
You got a 395xp and all your wood done? That Bites!

Tell me about it.

But, I want to get 2013/14 and 14/15 done this fall and winter so it will get a work out soon.

Wendell nice job on your wood, looks like you have a nice lot there.

Happy Burning
Zap

Thanks. I actually bought the house for the lot. Don't really care for the house that much. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.