2012 Mt Vernon AE Auger jam randomly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

noremorse63

Feb 2, 2012
Maryland
HI, I have a 2012 Mt Vernon AE and the error message "auger jammed" just started showing up late last year. I had it serviced this spring, the tech said it was a dirty vacuum line and cleaned everything. Then at first startup this year, several more auger jams, called him back. Due to the busy season it took him a week to get here, during that time no auger jams. He shows up cleans stove, replaces blower (it was going out) started it up and it was fine. Now 2 days later the auger jams are back!! I just turn the stove off and on and it starts up fine and runs for a few hours then jams.

Is there anything I can do or do I call him back and insist on a new auger? No idea where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Hopefully Kap chimes in. It can be a dusty eye sensor up on the motor, something stuck in the auger or motor may be going out.

All of what rickwai says above. Check wire harness for loose connections. What revision control board is in the stove?

Reactions: rickwai and Mt Bob
It's been running almost non stop now with no more error codes. No idea why after cleaning it jams--next time I clean it I will report back and see it it jams. Maybe it was a legit pellet jam? Thanks for the help!

Ok, I give up, it did the jammed message all day. How do I check the sensor? Is this something I can do myself? I tried looking for videos, but I didn't find anything online. I saw the motor on Amazon, I didn't look for anything else. I don't want to call the tech back at 200 a visit if I don't have too. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Not a Quad guy, but I know lots of problems have been fixed on Quads by 1 making sure flame probe is OK,insulation good, and 1 properly positioned,AND fully inserted into the ceramic cover. You have to remove it from cover to inspect.

on the mount vernon (ae) pellet stove the optical sensor communicates to the wall control that the auger is spinning or if it has stopped.So check the set screw on the auger to be sure that it is tight. Clean the sensor and wheel. the stove has 110vac so unplug the unit when you do this

Last edited:
Reactions: maraakate
Behind the auger motor is a disc with holes in it. The optical sensor is mounted over this on top and senses auger turning by seeing signal thru holes in disc. You should be able to follow the wires to it. Just need to wipe the "eye" to clear any dust that has settled on it. kap

Reactions: Ssyko and maraakate