2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I got a part time job flipping burgers for $10 an hour, I could probably save some hours and get the same heat. Wood burning takes a lot of hours!

I grew up processing and burning wood though... I think I'd miss it if I quit. (Apparently I would, because I got solar panels on the roof this year and I'm still burning!)
I’ve spent a small fortune on wood processing and storage equipment, not to mention stoves and chimneys. I’ll surely be ahead when I’m retired and resell the equipment, assuming normal depreciation, but between now and then it’s maybe not the most profitable pursuit I’ve ever had.

Reactions: jetsam
Yesterday was my first day without a fire for 2020.... pulled my cat for cleaning and found a Mystery Part lying behind the cat. This is a 4(?) year old Princess Insert.

It doesn't seem to be part of the bypass from what I can see? Bypass works without it, anyway.

Pictured on a 12"x12" tile.

20200504_203518_compress16.jpg
20200504_203536_compress1.jpg

It looks like the stainless spacers that go on the sides of the cat opening, they are just a slip fit

Yesterday was my first day without a fire for 2020.... pulled my cat for cleaning and found a Mystery Part lying behind the cat. This is a 4(?) year old Princess Insert.

It doesn't seem to be part of the bypass from what I can see? Bypass works without it, anyway.

Pictured on a 12"x12" tile.

View attachment 259918
View attachment 259919
They call them bypass retainers. They get squeezed into place by the expanding cat gasket. You’re not the first person to have inadvertently knocked one back into the dome. You have one on each side of the cat opening, make sure both are in place when you slide the cat back in.

Reactions: jetsam and Alpine1
It looks like the stainless spacers that go on the sides of the cat opening, they are just a slip fit
Yes, looks similar to a piece that came dislodged when i had my cat out a couple of years ago. Stove manual will show you where it fits back in.

If you replace a cat or remove it to clean it, make certain you put both bypass plate retainers in place.

If you replace a cat or remove it to clean it, make certain you put both bypass plate retainers in place.
Good to know
Thank you

Also, on the Ashford 30 at least, with those two little stamped ears out of the stove you might think there is a problem with the bypass door mechanism. Put them back in and try the bypass door mechanism again before you make a bigger problem for yourself. Just saying.

Thanks guys!

The stove seemed to burn fine without it, but I let it get cool enough to pull the cat again and found where it goes.

I also see why I didn't notice its mate the first time I inspected things... it was pretty well camouflaged, not sure I'd have seen if it y'all hadn't told me it was there!

Why is it called a bypass plate retainer? It doesn't appear to be retaining anything that I can see (though admittedly my viewing angle is not good from here). Looks a bit more like a "bypass channel shim."

Is the bypass plate the actual door that swings open and closed?

Reactions: Ashful
It keeps the bypass in place, without it the hinged end will pop out of the channel. Don’t ask how I know. ::P

It keeps the bypass in place, without it the hinged end will pop out of the channel. Don’t ask how I know. ::P
Correct....

I have accidentally removed my bypass plate while I was cleaning with the cat and retainers out. With the cat in place, is it still possible for the bypass plate to fall out of the channels?

I have accidentally removed my bypass plate while I was cleaning with the cat and retainers out. With the cat in place, is it still possible for the bypass plate to fall out of the channels?

Not on my stove. The clearances are reasonably close even when the stove is cool, and the steel bits get around 1% bigger at cruising temperatures.

I am pleased to say that I did not experience that while operating the stove without the retainer I have the insert, so taking the pipe off to look in from the top is a big production . ;lol

Not on my stove. The clearances are reasonably close even when the stove is cool, and the steel bits get around 1% bigger at cruising temperatures.

So the real purpose of the bypass retainers is to protect the back of your cat. Cat butt guards!

Reactions: Ashful
There are two legs welded to every bypass plate. These two legs sit behind two posts, one to either side of the combustion dome area.

The bypassplate retainers keep the legs from jumping out from behind the posts.

As particles accumulate over time on the bypass ramp, we do not want friction to allow the crank rod to gain a purchase, allowing for the plate to rise. The retainers prevent this from happening.

Reactions: jetsam and Ashful
There are two legs welded to every bypass plate. These two legs sit behind two posts, one to either side of the combustion dome area.

As particles accumulate over time on the bypass ramp, we do not want friction to allow the crank rod to gain a purchase, allowing for the plate to rise. The retainers prevent this from happening.

Those retainers do their job and are easy to keep in place if you know they are there and pay attention. I'm also impressed that they hold up so well being so thin and in such a hot location.

True story, when my bypass “cammed” over it hopped right out over the “posts” without the retainers.

Hey there fellas. I'm going to replace my gaskets this summer in preparation for the fall. Two questions for you:

1. if i've already done the stove door gasket once, do i need to replace the glass gasket this time if i'm going to do it again? I'm going to put in that bigger door gasket that BK sent me to try and remedy the smoke smell issue, but wasn't sure if i need to do the glass gasket too. I don't want to replace it 'just because' - only if it's necessary. There is nothing wrong with my glass gasket, but wasn't sure about what sort of issues i could be introducing by redoing the door gasket a second time?

2. Where can i order a new OEM bypass gasket from? Stove is a sirocco 30.1.

thanks in advance!

Well, if you place your hands, one on each side of the glass, and hold the open door between your knees, push the glass up and down, back and forth. If it's tight, you are good to go.

The bypass gasket is 5/8" dense. You can order from any of the dealers posted at www.blazeking.com

Thank you,
BKVP

Last edited:
Reactions: MissMac
Hey there fellas. I'm going to replace my gaskets this summer in preparation for the fall. Two questions for you:

1. if i've already done the stove door gasket once, do i need to replace the glass gasket this time if i'm going to do it again? I'm going to put in that bigger door gasket that BK sent me to try and remedy the smoke smell issue, but wasn't sure if i need to do the glass gasket too. I don't want to replace it 'just because' - only if it's necessary. There is nothing wrong with my glass gasket, but wasn't sure about what sort of issues i could be introducing by redoing the door gasket a second time?

2. Where can i order a new OEM bypass gasket from? Stove is a sirocco 30.1.

thanks in advance!

My glass gasket feels great after 8 seasons. If it's like the princess, the only way to replace the glass gasket is by removing the door gasket so if you're doing the door gasket, you're almost there. I don't see the glass gasket wearing as fast, it's thin and not being worked like the door or bypass.

The bypass gasket looks difficult. How did you know you need to replace it?

Are your bi-passes open ??
I just had a pair of blue birds in my Princess this morning, I did not have it in bi-pass (duh), luckily I heard them, opened the bi-pass slowly, 5 min. Later they made it into the firebox..
Opened the door, got em out, opened the garage door and they flew out..
I’ve had the King for 5 heating seasons with no birds .. (that bi-pass is/was open)
Princess has heated the garage 2 seasons..
1st birds for me !!

I got a Kestrel 2 weeks ago in mine. My stove wasn't even connected to chimney as I am making a couple of changes....

Status
Not open for further replies.