2022 Fall Foliage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
1665001478304.png

Adirondacks

• Whiteface, 40-60 percent
  • Crown Point, 40-50 percent
  • Lake Placid, 85 percent
  • Long Lake, 85 percent
  • Saranac Lake, 85 percent
  • Tupper Lake, 90 percent
  • Mt. Arab, 90 percent
  • Speculator, more than 75 percent
  • Ticonderoga, 60 percent
  • Old Forge, 90 percent
  • Newcomb, 80-90 percent
  • Lake Pleasant, 95 percent
  • Malone, 45 percent
  • Lake George, 40-55 percent
  • Queensbury, 70 percent
  • Plattsburgh, 40 percent

Right on schedule. How are the colors this year?

Interestingly I feel like we are a little ahead of schedule this year. Just south of NY a few hours. And the change was quite sudden. That usually means that there are some laggers that dont reach their full potential, but overall it makes for a good show that lasts quite some time. It wont be as nice as if things just time well together during a sunny crisp day. Sadly, the first weekend was not so great with rain/fog. This weekend is shaping up to be a high of 50 degrees with some sun. Id say prime time in my area starts now. If you want peak, wait a couple of weeks but be prepared to see about 20-30% of the trees with NO leaves on them.
Then the next season starts. Cold, bleak, and it lasts until the end of May!

Right on schedule. How are the colors this year?
We went for a bunch of rides and they were nice, by the time we went on our lot, the leaves had fallen. We usually go to a few places and get some pictures but we never did do that so I never did get one picture of the fall colors. I think the colors changed quick this year compared to last year.

This was yesterday. I would say after this week a good portion of the leaves will be off the trees. We started to get some badly needed rain late yesterday evening with 1.9 inches in the rain gauge this morning and a lot of leaves were in the road this morning. These are all oak and hickory trees. The purple colored trees are white oaks and the greenish yellow are post and red oaks.
20221024_103636.jpg

For some reason where my cabin is, we dont have alot of bright color. My oak for example, just turns brown and the leaves drop. Kinda of a bummer. Even the maples just kinda do that. It is in a valley with limited sun, so I'm not sure if that contributes but Im sure it does to some degree. Also, all the leaves have pretty much dropped. About 40% of the trees have leaves on them to some degree, the rest are completely gone. The ones left are just waiting for the next big wind and that will be it. If they last any longer, I will be concerned if we get a heavier snowfall here soon, which isnt a freak thing by any stretch.

Back home only an hour away, the trees are all at peak. Most still have their leaves and it's quite the show of bright yellow, orange, and red.
The smell is amazing too. There is no smell like it,..

The only people that arent enjoying this weather are the bad golfers. Hit a ball off the fairway, and say so long to your ball.

Love all these fall pictures. We do not have the broad hardwood forests here and this year a lot of the maple and alder leaves just went from green to brown.

We just took rides around here this year but I never took the camera, I'm pretty sure these pictures were from 2017 running the roads around here.

IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0919.JPG