25-PDV consumption question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmuscavitz

Dec 7, 2010
Lakes Region, NH
i have had my post 2004 25-pdv installed in my basement now since september. i have only used greene team pellets from lowes because my mom swears by them in her 25-pdvc. i run my stove ranging from 4-8 on the heat range and blower settings depending on the weather. i also do have an oak installed. i tried a couple of bags of fireside ultras that lowes was selling for the same price so i decided to try them. something i though was odd happened... one bag of firesides lasted almost 18 hours and the greene teams i can only seem to get about 12-14 out of the last 6 or so bags i have bought/used. and the outside temp here has been bout the same that last 10 days or so.... i also noticed a ton more clinkers from the greens than the firesides. they burned almost perfectly.

my question is, does this stove burn based on internal temp or is it strictly based on external settings? i clean the front of my stove daily and vacuum behind the impingement plate every other. i'm not sure where my lower buttons are set but it sounds to me like after lurking around here for the last few months that i run my stove higher than those shoud matter.

any insight would be helpful. thanks.

If you haven't changed your settings from one pellet to the next, then the difference is simply in the pellet size. I'm guessing that on average, the Fireside Ultras are probably a little longer. That will mean less pellets get into each turn of the auger, and a slower consumption rate.

The clinkers are dependent upon a whole bunch of things.

Good luck!

I haven't run an official test yet, but I get at least 12 hours from a bag of Maine's Choice in my 25-PDVC
I usually go through a bag a day. But I only run my stove as needed.
That being said I've been using my stove as my primary heat source for the last 3 weeks.
My thermostats have been set at less than 50, & my stove keeps it in the 70's.
I too have been running these pellets as my dad swears by them in his 25-PDV.

Status
Not open for further replies.