25-PDV Odd Problem - control board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scotthershall

Feb 11, 2015
Central CT
Hello! Well it's been a pleasant 5ish years with my Englander 25-PVD and me just lurking around these forums ocasionally but now I've got a problem. An odd one I think.

Last week I came home to the stove being off and the room cold. I thought maybe the pellets bridged (burning Green Supreme's from Home Depot and they're fine, but I haven't used them much before) but first I open the front door and saw unburnt pellets in the tube! Weird. Did I lose power or something? No other signs of power loss though - no clocks flashing 12:00, etc. Unplug the stove and restart it and it works fine... for about 36 hours.

A few days later I start the stove after getting home (a warmish day so I shut it off before going to work), and it lights fine and the convection blower comes on as normal. A few minutes later I come back to the stove and it's off- no blowers, no augers - but a flame still burning in the pot. I look at the control board and it's showing E1 - vacuum loss - which makes sense if the combustion blower suddenly stops. I pressed 'off' and nothing happened, then I pressed 'on' and it started right back up like nothing happened - both augers and blowers running like normal. This has happened a few times now...

I searched and searched here for people with similar experiences and didn't find anything.

This has to be a bad control board, right? Or maybe some kind of new electrical noise in my house that's causing the board to flip out. There's just regular household electronics nearby - TV, computer monitor and port replicator, etc. All stuff I had there last year.

What do you all think?

Thanks!!

It would be nice if you were around when it dies, before the error code sets, to check and see if the combustion blower is losing voltage from the board. But what you can do- check all connections from motor to control board,make sure they are tight and show no signs of poor connection/arcing. You also could clean the motor, especially between the rotor and windings, vacuum or air pressure. And, if does not spin freely, lube the bushings/bearings, if possible.

have you done the leaf blower trick to make sure its really clean,

@Mt Bob - good suggestions. I'll check those connections and generally clean up in there. It's getting a bit dusty...

@Ssyko - LBT done a few weeks ago before I started it up for the season!

Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: Mt Bob