25-PDVC conditional errors-shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dauby

Dec 16, 2010
Western CT
I just moved into a new home and my first experience with pellet stoves has been riddled with unknown problems. I watched the video that the previous owner left behind and have read the manual from the website. Since I have never used this type of heating before, I am at a loss for troubleshooting and the number to Englander is always busy. It seems to do a very good job heating the home and the tiny amount of ash is very welcomed as opposed to my experience with wood burning fireplace inserts.

We have a 25-PDVC pellet stove unit. We can start and run the unit almost 100% of the time as long as we use the Heat 1-2 and Fan 9 setting. If a higher temp is desired, the stove shuts down with a E1 code usually within an hour. At first I thought it might be overheating but I found that I would get an E3 error code which I never have.

After the unit shuts down, attempting to turn it back on results in first an E0 then a display of the current settings, an E2 error, then an E1 error. Usually after this if we wait for 20 minutes, the stove will start back up without issue and continue to run if the heat settings are moved back down to 1 or 2. This may be normal but the glass soots up within a day or 2 of cleaning.

The auto-igniter does not appear to be operational and I found a bottle of gel lighter next to the unit on move in day. I do not have issue with manual lighting it and only mention it as it may help lead to troubleshooting the problem. Also, I cannot distinguish an increase in air flow if I move the fan speed from 1 to 9 but this may be due to my lack of familiarity with a pellet stove.

I have disassembled the flue and cleaned out the inside and outside portions along with the burn pot areas and behind the plate. I also vacuumed the hopper gasket to clear any debris to make a better seal. I was sure that I had solved the problem when upon removing the flue I found that 80% of the portion of the flue that was horizontal with the stove was filled with ash. This did not seem to be the problem though as it continues to shutdown on any heat setting now other than 1.

I'm not opposed to replacing parts but, would appreciate any help pinpointing the exact faulty item. I appreciate any insights provided to a newbie pellet stove owner.

I also own that model, Good stove and great support, just type in 25 pdvc in the search window your answers should be there if not someone will come along to help.

Since you found your exhaust piping mostly full of ash, I'm guessing that the previous owner didn't know that they had to actually clean the stove & associated piping.

My suggestion is to clean not only all of the pellet piping, but to also take the stove apart and clean EVERYTHING you can get to with brushes, scrapers, vacuums, etc, etc.

In particular, you need to remove the combustion blower and clean the vanes and also clean the plenum box it mounts to....I'll bet that's full of ash too. The E-1 code you are getting is directly related to the excess ash....there is not enough airflow through the stove to keep the pressure switch closed.

www.englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/ecodes04.html

Also mentioned in the troubleshooting link above is the statement "The exhaust setup should be done in such a way as to keep the horizontal length to a minimum, too long a horizontal run will slow the air flow down to a point where vacuum loss can occur".

It might help us if we knew how the exhaust piping is set-up on your stove. Maybe you can describe the lengths, orientation (vert. or horiz.), number of 45 and 90 degree elbows, etc, etc.

I was getting an E1 code on my PDVC earlier this season which means lose of vacuum. I always keep my stove and flue pipes clean a s a whistle so I knew I could eliminate that as the culprit. So I had bought a gasket replacement kit from Englander and replaced all my gaskets. The code still came up. After a little investigating it turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose. I replaced it and my stove runs like a charm.

minakena said:
.....After a little investigating it turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose. I replaced it and my stove runs like a charm.

Yep minakena, you're right on there.....another good thing to check.

minakena, I actually got a reply from an email from Englander's Stove today. That is the first thing they recommended, and I opened it up and found the hose to be in good condition. Thanks for mentioning it though as I would have not known had the company not gotten back.

imacman, The inside horizontal is around 16 inches with one 45d piece that is around 4 inches while the outside is around another 4 inches long with a T that has a cup to empty ashes with on the bottom. I did not measure the vertical but I looks to be over 6 feet long. The stove is cater cornered so that while the pipe is relatively short, it maintains the required 6 inches from the wall on both sides. The whole set up looks like it was done up with the recommended kit.

I found a hearth dealer in New Milford that sold the combustion fan but they suggested that rather than replace it we try to do a thorough servicing which I'm going to assume involves the items stated above. I think I'll give it a go even though it is pricey.

dauby said:
.....I found a hearth dealer in New Milford.........they suggested that rather than replace it we try to do a thorough servicing which I'm going to assume involves the items stated above. I think I'll give it a go even though it is pricey.

Then DO NOT let them leave until they fire-up the stove on at least heat setting 3 and it keeps burning!!

And never assume anything....ask them exactly what they are going to do. Make sure that both blowers are removed and cleaned, a new gasket is installed, and that the entire stove and pipe is cleaned inside & out.

Well the guy never showed up.
I squirted some lubricant on the combustion fan's shaft and now everything seems fine.
The world would be a sadder place without WD-40.

dauby said:
Well the guy never showed up.......

Hmmmm....it would be a shame if this service person's name "accidently" showed-up on this thread, so others won't rely on him.

Did he (they) at least call to say they weren't coming BEFORE the appt. time??

Pedro from http://www.houseofwarmth.com/ did call me around 5 hours after the scheduled time. I told him it seemed to be working fine now and that it looks like I saved some money since he never showed.
I'm much more familiar with the peculiarities of this stove now and think that I will be able to troubleshoot it much more easily in the future. I still think the blowers could do with a cleaning considering how poorly it seemed to be maintained, but I guess I'll wait till it is a little warmer to take it apart unless more trouble arises.

Thanks for everyone's help here. It would seem, at least for now, the final solution was simply lubricating the motor.

dauby said:
Pedro from http://www.houseofwarmth.com/ did call me around 5 hours after the scheduled time. I told him it seemed to be working fine now and that it looks like I saved some money since he never showed.
I'm much more familiar with the peculiarities of this stove now and think that I will be able to troubleshoot it much more easily in the future. I still think the blowers could do with a cleaning considering how poorly it seemed to be maintained, but I guess I'll wait till it is a little warmer to take it apart unless more trouble arises.

Thanks for everyone's help here. It would seem, at least for now, the final solution was simply lubricating the motor.

Some times it is, however, WD-40 isn't a long term solution.

If the blower has a Fasco motor with oil ports it likely says SAE#20 on the plate. That is non detergent and is the same as 3 in 1 blue and white can.

Status
Not open for further replies.