25yr old wood - any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
If wood was stored in a shed for 25 years, would it still be good or would it have broken down (ie: dry rotted) in that time? I'm thinking it would still be good so long as it didn't get exposed to a source of moisture.

If it's been kept dry it will be good. If it's free it will be GREAT!

One of my friends bought an old farm house with a wood shed and the shed had a bunch of wood in it that was years old. He said it burned like a dream.

I frequent a hundred year old post and beam constructed bar in northern MI which I can tell by looking at the wood it would burn great, away from the elements does wonders.

babzog said:
If wood was stored in a shed for 25 years, would it still be good or would it have broken down.

Probably useless, best to send it to me and I'll send you some nice new wood in exchange....... ;-)

During several vacations to various European locales in the past I was admiring wooden beams,timbers & roof framing etc in castles,cathedrals,houses & bridges that were several hundred to over 1000 yrs old.Long as its not exposed to the elements it can last pretty much indefinitely.

You know that stuff is dry too,even the Oaks..... ;-P

Battenkiller said:
Thistle said:
You know that stuff is dry too,even the Oaks..... ;-P

I'd leave it another year, just to be sure.

Especially if its near a lake,stream or other water source. Wood being hydroscopic & all....

What kind of wood is it? Shoot, that is older than some of our wood.

Do a years test burning it. If it burns well, we'll have a new standard for "seasoning time".
If it has been kept dry, it will be fine. I have some good 15 year old oak, cherry & maple boards stored in a shed.

bogydave said:
Do a years test burning it. If it burns well, we'll have a new standard for "seasoning time".
If it has been kept dry, it will be fine. I have some good 15 year old oak, cherry & maple boards stored in a shed.

Please Dave, no tests.......I don't want to find out that it is actually best to season oak for 25 years......... :p . Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
bogydave said:

Please Dave, no tests.......I don't want to find out that it is actually best to season oak for 25 years......... :p . Cheers!

LOL
BWSav does it that long :lol: LOL
Oak envy here

bogydave said:
NH_Wood said:
bogydave said:

LOL
BWSav does it that long :lol: LOL
Oak envy here

Dave - you're onto something here - Dennis has only been burning wood for only 2 years, not 50! He stacked 3 cord of oak on year one, burned it in 1986, and is just getting around to the 3 cord oak stacked that year! :p Cheers!

Guessing if it was high and dry it should burn well.

Backwoods Savage said:

Noticed Dennis said SOME of his wood. How old of wood do you have? :)

My wife saw this thread and just said she'd stick it in the fire to see what happened...... ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:

Yeah I was just thinking that would be your fresh stuff!

:lol:

Ray

woodchip said:
My wife saw this thread and just said she'd stick it in the fire to see what happened...... ;-)

Clearly she is much to smart to be in this forum lol.. This will require 6400 posts to come to a conclusion! :)

Ray

NH_Wood said:
bogydave said:

:vampire:

zap

raybonz said:
woodchip said:

Clearly she is much to smart to be in this forum lol.. This will require 6400 posts to come to a conclusion! :)

Ray
Did you see the posts about the Fiskars, we have some rocket science going on in that post, I was impressed with there knowledge though.

oldspark said:
raybonz said:
woodchip said:

Ray
Did you see the posts about the Fiskars, we have some rocket science going on in that post, I was impressed with there knowledge though.

LOL thanx but I think I'll pass on that science project! My solution is to buy csd as that stuff is too complicated for me :)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.