27000 Buck Firebox Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutt321

Jan 19, 2012
West Virginia
I bought a 2400 square foot cedar house last year with a 27000 Regular Buck free standing stove in the basement. The house was built in 1976, and I assume the wood burner is about as old. I have been using it 24/7 this winter to supplement the oil furnace with a lot of success. I recently noticed cracks in the fire brick. After investigating, it started crumbling. What do you recommend I replace this with? The shell seems to be in great shape. Thanks...

Thanks for the response... I've also been advised that it might be better to pour a Portland base than use firebricks. Any thoughts on this? Have a good recipe for the mix? Thanks for your help...

Thanks for the reply... It had two 1.25 inch pieces that covered the bottom and 4 inch high block covering both sides and the back. I'm just looking for the best solution to keep this old but good burner going. Thanks again... When I talked with the people from Buck, they pushed me towards the Portland products...

Status
Not open for further replies.