2nd Condar 3-19 thermometer confirms readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I grabbed the new 3-19 Condar probe thermometer off of eBay. It was a good deal and ours is now 5 years old. I wanted to be sure my reported flue temps are reasonably accurate and that our old thermometer was not falling out of calibration. Ideally I should have drilled a second hole to do a side by side analysis, but instead I pulled one and inserted the other. The results are now in. They agree with each other. I've only tested up to 800F but both thermometers are within one tick mark of each other in this semi-scientific test. These same conditions showed a 200°F+ difference with Pen's new model 3-29 thermometer.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70117/P44/

The older one does look better. I can always transfer small tick marks if the temp ranges are important to me.

I'm waiting on a Teltru probe to arrive, should be interesting to compare it to my Condar flue guard and SBI probes. I know with single wall like I have the readings are scewed from the radiant heat from the pipe, that won't happen with the Teltru.

guess that pretty much confirms what we were finding. Nice to know but I still wonder what the heck the actual difference is between these since condar won't admit to anything different than the dial face.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.