2T Floor jack - leaking hyd. fluid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Is there any way to repair the seals on a 2T floor jack? We have a Craftsman brand jack that slowly leaks hydraulic fluid. If I fill it up, it works. If I let it sit for a week or more I can't get it to jack up more than around 1-1/2" where it should go up 6-8". I've not had any luck finding a repair manual for this jack.

Shari

I've never heard of anybody fixing one. Maybe something that swells seals would work. Maybe something like Trans-X would help? Can you stand it up on end so the leaky part is above the fluid level when not in use?

Matt

Most homeowner jacks are a bugger to work on. If it is the seal that is leaking (most likely), it will require a new seal to be installed. Your best bet to locate a seal is probably from a pro shop that deals with hydraulics (like industrial equipment). Often times if you bring in a seal, they can cross reference it and find a replacement.

SOME of those things are non-repairable.

where does it leak?
If it is internally, drifting down but not out on the ground, it is more work.

If it is rod seal, you might get one at a hydraulic repair shop, although it might not be worth fixing. Rod seals may be $10 to $20

But, if it leaks out around the 3 or 4 inch diameter threaded in gland that holds the rod seal into the main tube, then it is probably a common oring. You can get those at an industrial supply house for a couple dollars. Buna N or Nitrile material. Hardware store orings could be nitrile or could be neoprene for water, which won't hold up for oil.
I have a heavy foor jack that got a dent in the tube by a previous owner and damaged the oring. bought it for $5 on the gamble that it was low on jack fluid. Filled, leaked out overnight. 10 minutes, $2 oring about 4 inches in diameter, and it has worked for years.

clean it up, see where is is leaking, maybe post a pic with some rough dimensions.

kcj

Let me clean it up, fill it up and then I will take a photo or two of where it is leaking and then I will post photos back here.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've had scads of Sears tools for decades, including some old ones I inherited along the way from 3 different folks (Grandad, Dad, FIL). I've always had good luck working with Sears, whether it be at a parts counter in a store or online, identifying exactly what parts I needed and getting my hands on them. All you need is a model number of the tool and you're off and running to see what they've got in terms of exploded diagrams and parts availability. Good luck with it...probably just a worn seal. Rick

http://www.searspartsdirect.com

It's not an aluminum jack is it? I have one that leaks (has been leaking for some time now) and after doing some homework, found out it is literally a made in china, non-serviceable unit. After spending $199 on the damn thing, you bet I was PO'd. Leaks around the shaft for the release valve. It's not just an o-ring and IIRC it's damned difficult if not impossible to remove the thing. Even if you could disassemble it, the only part available is the complete hydraulic pack and it costs more than I paid for the jack! Loved the jack initially (It has the high speed pump for quickly lifting the saddle to the load and I can lift it easily with 1 hand.) but lately have been losing faith in newer Craftsman products.

I keep pouring oil in it as needed but the more annoyed I get, the closer I get to buying something to replace it.

Fair wairning: I've seen this jack wearing colors other than Craftsman. Usually the giveaway is the solid aluminum roller on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.