3/4 of a small coffee can of creosote this yrs cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Had to try the new brush out.Used all but 1 pole from an 18' bag.Thought it was longer than that.Saved me from buying another lengthner like i was going to.Not bad for burning at 300 degrees for 90% of the season.Burn at 3/4 closed to fully closed if the fire is on a full bed of coals,if not i may run at 50%.Now that it's single digits i run primary at 50% with temps at 400 to 500.I wonder if i'll ever run the 2ndaries at these store temps.Should i have gone with a smaller stove so it would've burned cleaner and hotter?Stove 400 stove room 90.All fans running.Little chilly 2 rooms away in livingroom.

Bub381 said:
Had to try the new brush out.Used all but 1 pole from an 18' bag.Thought it was longer than that.Saved me from buying another lengthner like i was going to.Not bad for burning at 300 degrees for 90% of the season.Burn at 3/4 closed to fully closed if the fire is on a full bed of coals,if not i may run at 50%.Now that it's single digits i run primary at 50% with temps at 400 to 500.I wonder if i'll ever run the 2ndaries at these store temps.Should i have gone with a smaller stove so it would've burned cleaner and hotter?Stove 400 stove room 90.All fans running.Little chilly 2 rooms away in livingroom.

Sounds like you are doing something right. No real build-up. I don't know that a smaller stove would help you get heat to the perimeter like that. I have rooms that are hard to get warm, and all the rooms are connected to the lobby where my stove is. Depending on the height of your door jams versus the overall ceiling height, I have one open space with a 10 foot ceiling no doorway whereas the other rooms have a 8 foot doorway. Heat naturally flows to the 10 foot opening. So, there has to be another way to address that issue of getting heat to the back room.

You should have secondaries at 500 degrees if you have the gas released being burned by your cat or burn tubes. That's plenty hot I would think. You can see that when you watch for the little flames dancing at the top.

I don't know why you'd have to burn with the air open like that. Once you are at 400 degrees, you should be able to dial it fully closed slowly and raise your stove top temp even higher. My understanding is that leaving the control at 50% sends a ton of heat up the stack, which won't help with your perimeter rooms.

I'll try it,on the small stove i just wondered if it was smaller i could run it hotter for the 2ndaries to kick. I don't run em m uch this way.500 would run us quite hot here. Move more air somehow i guess and let er rip.

Bub, I usually tell folks to not get too excited about the size of the stove until you hit the hard January-February cold. That is when you can determine if your stove is the right size. Some get the smaller stove and find they need a lot more heat than they thought when the cold of winter sets in. It's been pretty mild so far but could get rough really soon now. I'd much rather have a stove too large rather than too small.

That seems to be the word here.It will be nice for the cold weather,hate to have to sit on a small stove to stay comfortable. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.