30 hours into a BK burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I loaded the stove 30 hours ago with odd pieces of Silver Maple, yes, Sliver Maple. It seems that it doesn't make a bit of difference what kind of wood I use, it does great. Has anyone else burned "inferior" wood in a BK with similar results? I think that once the stove is turned down enough that the cat is making the heat, it does just as well with soft stuff as it does with Oak. I think the last pic says it all!

Attachments

• IMG_6143.jpg
    IMG_6143.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_6144.jpg
    IMG_6144.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_6146.jpg
    IMG_6146.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 827
Thats Impressive. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours of burn time

I also find I get similar burn results with any wood that I use within reason. I had about 3/4 cord of 3 year seasoned silver maple to start the season off and I'm bummed it's all gone. I'm burning/wasting oak right now with a little bit of cherry and walnut mixed in. Since getting this stove I'm going to cut my dependence on good wood big time. I think if I slate a cord or two of good wood a season I can fill in the rest with the junk other people don't want.

rdust said:
I also find I get similar burn results with any wood that I use within reason. I had about 3/4 cord of 3 year seasoned silver maple to start the season off and I'm bummed it's all gone. I'm burning/wasting oak right now with a little bit of cherry and walnut mixed in. Since getting this stove I'm going to cut my dependence on good wood big time. I think if I slate a cord or two of good wood a season I can fill in the rest with the junk other people don't want.
I agree, people won't take Maple around here if you paid them, I don't mind it at all. With my other stoves it goes super fast though.

Is your stove an older model? Reason I ask is that I bought a convection deck for mine a few weeks ago and there is no hole for the T Stat. The deck is the same for the King or Princess from what I was told.

The one I have goes right up to the T Stat. I had to turn it upside down so the pointer wouldn't jamb up against the deck.

NATE379 said:
Is your stove an older model? Reason I ask is that I bought a convection deck for mine a few weeks ago and there is no hole for the T Stat. It goes right up to is actually so I had to spin it upside down so the pointer wouldn't jamb up against the deck.

He has a King, the deck is different.

Did you get the optional inlaid granite?

You caught me while I was editing my post. The deck for the King and Princess is the same according to the stove shop I bought it at. I don't have the part # handy, but it was the same part #.

NATE379 said:
You caught me while I was editing my post. The deck for the King and Princess is the same according to the stove shop I bought it at. I don't have the part # handy, but it was the same part #.

Can't be the same deck, the King has an 8" pipe!

Very impressive burn.

Hmm, you have an good point there...

rdust said:
NATE379 said:

Can't be the same deck, the King has an 8" pipe!

webby3650 said:
I loaded the stove 30 hours ago with odd pieces of Silver Maple, yes, Sliver Maple. It seems that it doesn't make a bit of difference what kind of wood I use, it does great. Has anyone else burned "inferior" wood in a BK with similar results? I think that once the stove is turned down enough that the cat is making the heat, it does just as well with soft stuff as it does with Oak. I think the last pic says it all!

That stove was born and bread in softwood country. It makes the best of what you've got.

BeGreen said:
webby3650 said:

That stove was born and bread in softwood country. It makes the best of what you've got.
Good point.

SolarAndWood said:
Did you get the optional inlaid granite?
No, it's a actually a piece of stone from a gas unit, I use it as a coffee warmer.

webby3650 said:

I had dropped a bunch of cottonwood a couple of years ago for a satellite line-of-sight, and c/s/s'd it this summer/fall, thinking it should be good enough for shoulder season. While I was at it, I cleared a bit of dead brush that was in the area, alder and willow, and started burning that for the fall shoulder season. So I got serious about cleaning out the dead stuff around and about and have been burning it all winter long, even through -40º and -50º weather. Although I try to stick with the willow during the severe cold. That old alder burns up a bit faster. I've been getting 18 hour burns at -20ºF and 13 hour burns at -50ºF. I only wish I'd had this stove 30 years ago!

naptime said:
webby3650 said:

I had dropped a bunch of cottonwood a couple of years ago for a satellite line-of-sight, and c/s/s'd it this summer/fall, thinking it should be good enough for shoulder season. While I was at it, I cleared a bit of dead brush that was in the area, alder and willow, and started burning that for the fall shoulder season. So I got serious about cleaning out the dead stuff around and about and have been burning it all winter long, even through -40º and -50º weather. Although I try to stick with the willow during the severe cold. That old alder burns up a bit faster. I've been getting 18 hour burns at -20ºF and 13 hour burns at -50ºF. I only wish I'd had this stove 30 years ago!

Good post webby. Nice burn times.
Maybe you'll get winter & have to" let the big dog eat (heat) " yet this year, "open it up & burn out the carbon " so to speak :)
Inferior wood ???? It's all BTUs. LOL :lol:
No locust or oak up here, would love some of your silver maple ;)

Hello naptime
Great burn times. Yea, this stove would have been nice years ago. Think of the cords of wood we would've saved.
It took me a while to learn what dry wood really is & the new BKs - the drier the better.
You must be close to Fairbanks, where the -50s have been.
How much house area are you heating?
Hope some of our warmer air gets up to you, we had +18 today, now +11, heat wave :)

bogydave said:
naptime said:
webby3650 said:

Good post webby. Nice burn times.
Maybe you'll get winter & have to" let the big dog eat (heat) " yet this year, "open it up & burn out the carbon " so to speak :)
Inferior wood ???? It's all BTUs. LOL :lol:
No locust or oak up here, would love some of your silver maple ;)

Hello naptime
Great burn times. Yea, this stove would have been nice years ago. Think of the cords of wood we would've saved.
It took me a while to learn what dry wood really is & the new BKs - the drier the better.
You must be close to Fairbanks, where the -50s have been.
How much house area are you heating?
Hope some of our warmer air gets up to you, we had +18 today, now +11, heat wave :)
Ya, we might get some winter eventually. I haven't used much wood this winter though!

its really impressive to hear about the long burn times and all,but we know they get incredible burn times,its getting a bit redundant...its like if jotul owners posted about how great looking their stoves are,we get it,they,re beautiful........just my two cents

roddy said:
its really impressive to hear about the long burn times and all,but we know they get incredible burn times,its getting a bit redundant...its like if jotul owners posted about how great looking their stoves are,we get it,they,re beautiful........just my two cents

No one made you click the link, I know it's hard to resist the burn time envy. :lol:

If someone posted about a Jotul being beautiful I'd skip right on by since "I'm" not a fan of their looks. This is why so many different stoves are offered in so many different shapes, sizes and forms of construction. :)

rdust said:
roddy said:

No one made you click the link, I know it's hard to resist the burn time envy. :lol:

If someone posted about a Jotul being beautiful I'd skip right on by since "I'm" not a fan of their looks. This is why so many different stoves are offered in so many different shapes, sizes and forms of construction. :)

sorry to have offended you,but i generally read every post,if it was important enough to someone to warrant them posting it,i find it in good taste and curteous to read the post,if nobody reads the posts,people will stop posting,and this great site begins to deteriorate....and you should feel free to respond in what ever way you see fit(with-in the rules)

rod

roddy said:
sorry to have offended you,but i generally read every post,if it was important enough to someone to warrant them posting it,i find it in good taste and curteous to read the post,if nobody reads the posts,people will stop posting,and this great site begins to deteriorate....and you should feel free to respond in what ever way you see fit(with-in the rules)

rod

You've got a funny definition of freedom, fella. You're free to respond howsoever you see fit, but people should feel free to post only what roddy wants to read. Absolutly!

Hey, if it bores you, skip it.

roddy said:

rod

I wasn't offended, sorry if I came across that way. I used the smiles in hopes of getting across the "tongue in cheek" that I was going for. Sometimes it hard to do over the internet. :)

That's great man,
BK are a totally different game than what most of us have. Honestly I wish I'd spent more time perusing the forums to find out about this minor miracle of a stove, then I would've bought one of these instead of my 6-hour wood hog.

So to anybody that complains about an abundance of posts "bragging" of these burn times, please don't! It just means it will help someone else to be informed of the awesomeness of this stove.

"Cabin fever" is starting to show up form Alaskans ( I know I'm starting to feel it)
& the "lack winter" is causing "burn envy fever" for those who haven't got to burn their firewood.
It's OK, it's normal for an abnormal winter. (DR Phil ) LOL :lol:
When I was laid up after back surgery last winter, I was a total aspen. Cabin fever to the "nth" degree :)
The cure:
Spring is close (well closer) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.