300 mile round trip for oak and maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Hello everyone.
My dad asked me to come and help him cut 2 trees today so i loaded up the saws and took off early this morning. Was a little surprised when i seen the trees and thought this may be a little out of our league. The maple was 40" across bottom and i only have 18" bar and the oak was 46" across the bottom. We cut around as much as we could then drove wedges in to break the last couple of inchs off. I used a tank of gas every three cuts but was ready for a break by then anyway. So after 7 tanks this is what we had by 1 pm when it hit 90 degrees and we decided to stop for the day.
After today i see that the big wood is a lot more work but still enjoyed spending the day working and cutting with my dad.

Attachments

• 2011-06-17_12-50-57_282.jpg
    2011-06-17_12-50-57_282.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 2011-06-17_12-51-22_816.jpg
    2011-06-17_12-51-22_816.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 437
Here is whats still left of the oak.

Attachments

• 2011-06-17_12-51-14_148.jpg
    2011-06-17_12-51-14_148.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 423
  • 2011-06-17_12-52-36_109.jpg
    2011-06-17_12-52-36_109.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 422
Nice pics and even nicer wood. Gonna stack up to be a good amount of wood. My Father has 2 GIANT Oaks in his back yard (Owns a couple acres) and he wants them gone. I may scrounge up the courage to cut one down this year. Just so I can get my Solid Oak Supply to start seasoing (3 Yrs... Ugh). But my longest bar is only 20".

Where is it at?

smokinjay said:
Where is it at?
Between Connersville and Brookville IN.
Smokin this is probably the norm for you :)

HJsimpson said:
smokinjay said:
Where is it at?
Smokin this is probably the norm for you :)

Pretty much I just always get the worst...lol If I need the Big saw its pretty Ugly. The one I got the other day was 72 inchs wide and 4 foot long and rotton. I noodle it and the cut it in half and load the saw and drove home. %-P Not worth loading.

This is the biggest i have cut myself and with a 18" bar it was quite the workout for the 028.
Both trees were solid all the way through so will make him some great firewood.

HJsimpson said:
This is the biggest i have cut myself and with a 18" bar it was quite the workout for the 028.
Both trees were solid all the way through so will make him some great firewood.

028 super will handle a bigger bar! I have heard form some old stihl heads that it is the best firewood saw ever! (take that with a grain of salt) But I would think a 22-24 full skip chain and you would open up a whole new world..... :cheese:

Note the white handle on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

HJsimpson said:
smokinjay said:
Where is it at?

that is a sacred part of the state for me- I love the drive down 121
someday I hope to own land in that area

Yes it is 150 miles from my place but only 6 miles from him. Dad tried to get me to take a load but i said no it was all for him.

Smokin. Not sure what the white handle means.

Nice story and pics! Enjoy those times with your Dad as they pass quickly.. My Dad is 80 and struggles just to walk without falling down.. I wish we could do what you just did..

Ray

HJsimpson said:
Yes it is 150 miles from my place but only 6 miles from him. Dad tried to get me to take a load but i said no it was all for him.

Smokin. Not sure what the white handle means.

Pro-saw!

HJ, that will make him some excellent firewood. Good to spend time with Dad too.

Those size trees are usually fun if you have the right saw. A bit of a challenge otherwise but still can be done. Looks like you figured that out too. Good for you.

Thanks Jay, still learning about the saw.

I would have drove 500 miles to cut with my dad because everytime i do he shows me new ways to do something. He had 2 valves replaced in his heart about a year and 1/2 ago and suffered a massive stroke the following week. He lost his peripheral vision and most of the use of his right side but still refuses to give up doing stuff he enjoys. We wont let him run a saw anymore because he cant keep his balance very well and it doesnt take much for him to fall. Doctors told him he needed to quit messing with wood but he told them he has been doing it for 55 years and not about to stop now. And my wife wonders where i can be bullheaded LOL.

HJsimpson said:
Dad tried to get me to take a load but i said no it was all for him.
Good on ya! :)
Besides, hauling a load that far would have cost you more in gas than it would have been worth. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.