30nc install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
I'm installing a 30nc using single wall selkirk black pipe. It wont fit into the flue collar. Do I need an adaptor or should I just modify the pipe to fit.

You might think about this from ESW's part site.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/30-NC_Parts.html

AC-1677 Stovetop Adapter - For 6" Pipe (2 lbs. each)
$14.84
Reduces 6" pipe down by 1/8" smaller inside diameter.
Good for fitting 6" wood stove pipe to a stove that has a collar that is slightly smaller than 6". Approximately 4 1/2" in length.

Or you could buy a crimping tool at a HVAC supply store and crimp the pipe.

Why is the flue collar made like that? There must be purpose behind it. Is it made for a double wall pipe?

Most common single wall connector pipe is crimped on the end that goes into the stove. If the flue collar wasn't made like that the crimped pipe would be loose in the stove collar. Had the same problem with my Jotuls. They have a flue collar that won't take Simpson Durablack six inch. Had to remove the flue collars and go straight into the hole in the top with the pipe which then was a perfect fit. Not an option on a stove with the flue collar welded on.

I called a friend who works in HVAC. He had a crimper and took care of it for me. Thanks for the help.
Just waiting for my supervent cathedral ceiling kit to come in from Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.