346xp saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Found a used 346 didn't come with a bar or chain and was wondering its rated to pull a 20 inch bar but seems like a lot for a 45 cc saw . What would you guys reccomend??

If its the 45cc model I would run a 16inch on it and be very happy.

estang said:
Found a used 346 didn't come with a bar or chain and was wondering its rated to pull a 20 inch bar but seems like a lot for a 45 cc saw . What would you guys reccomend??

I run a 16" on my 346Xp New Edition (50CC) and I'm very happy with how it performs. I do want to get a better chain one of these days though.

IMO the best solution would be to get both at 16" and 20" .325 narrow kerf bars. You'll use the 16 most of the time. Especially since you own a larger saw. However, its good to options when cutting ... or when not cutting because you badly pinched the bar in a cut. :)

Is that the one off of Craiglist in Avon?? Called on it and it was sold already... Lucky....

DexterDay said:
Is that the one off of Craiglist in Avon?? Called on it and it was sold already... Lucky....
Yup I pick it up this week sometime , he had to go out of town. I let you know how it is.

estang said:
DexterDay said:
Yup I pick it up this week sometime , he had to go out of town. I let you know how it is.

Prob an easy fix... For $100 I was gonna grab it up... At that price I would do it every day of the week. Congrats on the score. Thats the best deal in our area in awhile.

BTW- If I were to buy it, I would prob stick with a 16" maybe an 18" . Would run much faster with the 16" What size bar you got on your 460 (love my 455- great firewood saw).

Lucky dog!!!

My 460 has a 20 inch bar and I love that. I was looking to get rid of the 460 and just run the 346 but I don't know if thats gonna happen If I put a 16 inch bar on it.

DexterDay said:
estang said:
DexterDay said:

Prob an easy fix... For $100 I was gonna grab it up... At that price I would do it every day of the week. Congrats on the score. Thats the best deal in our area in awhile.

BTW- If I were to buy it, I would prob stick with a 16" maybe an 18" . Would run much faster with the 16" What size bar you got on your 460 (love my 455- great firewood saw).

Lucky dog!!!

After emailing the guy It sounds like he let it sit for awhile and now wont start. Im hoping just a carb clean.

estang said:
DexterDay said:
estang said:
DexterDay said:

Lucky dog!!!

After emailing the guy It sounds like he let it sit for awhile and now wont start. Im hoping just a carb clean.

Yeah. Said in the ad it wont start.

Carb clean was what I was thinking. Even if you had to put $50 in the saw and then the bar and chain ($70) You got a new to you 346XP for $220.

Thats pretty good in my book...You cant buy a 435 w/ 16" for that brand new and the 346 is double the saw that a 435 (homeowner saw) is..

Go through it carefully and thoroughly and make sure everything is good...fuel lines, impulse line, compression, metal intake clamp, non scored p&C, etc. Get a new plug, gap it to .020 and put some fresh gas in there and let er rip.

Got lucky myself on a 346 a short time ago for $75. Its a 2007 powerhead that was made about 5 weeks before the 50cc NE's came out, prior owner straight gassed it, replaced the 45cc P&C with a new EBay 50cc P&C and couldn't get it to start. Dude didn't check the gap on theplug he put in there and didn't screw the air intake to the carb. I added a Husqvarna 16" bar and a cheap safety chain that was on sale at my local hardware store for $30 for the set and at some point I'll get a loop or two of Stihl RSC for it and call it a day. I've got a 20" b&c on my 359 so the 16 made the most sense for the 346. Sucker rips through limbs and small to medium bucking.

Good luck with yours...please shoot some pics and post them up here when you get it.

For what its worth, so long as you're not screaming for storage and the 346 works out ok for you, I'd hang onto both saws. Use the 346 for all your small and medium limbing, bucking and whatnot with a 16" bar and pull out the 460 with the bigger bar when you need or want to.

I plan on posting pic whe I get it

Well this sucks .Just go an e-mail for the guy with the saw, Sorry my wife sold the saw over the weekend to a lady. I bet the guy had so many e-mails that he lifted the price,

So much for being the fastest to reply on craigs list!!!!!!!!!!

Bummer. Oh well, this happens alot. If you're looking for bargains on a high demand item like a 346XP you have to be ready to go it from the seller the minute you make the deal, otherwise somoeone else will just offer the guy $50 over the asking price and WHAM! its gone.

Keep your eyes open. These come along every so often.

You gotta be quick and ready to hit the road....I saw that posting about 10 minutes after it went up, but didn't want to drive an hour.

Well if it makes you feel better. It wasnt my Wife... Wish it was. That would have been a Sweet Sweetest Day gift..

Look at the bright side, if it was your wife that bought it you know it would have been a seized piston and not a loose plug wire.

At least I can laugh about it. I stinks that on Friday you get a email the saw is yours and Monday OOOOOPPPS. This will make the YINGLING Taste better tonight!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.