357xp? Is anyone running one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dill

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Northwood NH
Is this saw really all its cracked up to be? Looking for something bigger than my 55 rancher and smaller/lighter than my 372. The rancher really doesn't have the power I need, but I seem to grab it quite often because the size is more manageable. And I seem to be dumping gas into my big saws constantly.

Dill said:
Is this saw really all its cracked up to be? Looking for something bigger than my 55 rancher and smaller/lighter than my 372. The rancher really doesn't have the power I need, but I seem to grab it quite often because the size is more manageable. And I seem to be dumping gas into my big saws constantly.

I ran a 357 a couple times. Nice saw. Bizarre choke/start procedure but I guess that's a husqy thing.

Running one here. Very nice saw. Let's me cut some pretty big stuff even with an 18" bar. I've not run bigger saws so cannot compare but it's leagues ahead of the Poulan I used to run. Comparable to my buddy's stihl ms362.

Dill said:
A 359 would be a step up from your 55, these are nice saws & cheaper than the 357. Many are running 24" bars on the 359 & as soon as I save a few bucks so will I. That said, if money isn't an issue, the 357 has 1/2 hp more than the 359 & Nikasil cylinder etc. If you get a chance try a 359 though, these do have the magnesium crankcase, Randy

I used to have a 357 race saw. Those saws have a bunch of power left on the plate in stock form and they ain't too shabby stock.

What's the goal? Seems like a 345 would be a better compliment to the 372.

346XP to compliment a 372. 357 is too close in weight and the price tag is silly.

wkpoor said:
I used to have a 357 race saw. Those saws have a bunch of power left on the plate in stock form and they ain't too shabby stock.

That's good to know. I have no complaints with my stock saw, but I was thinking of sending it out to your buddy Brad for a little tweaking. Not a race job, just a woods porting to improve the torque. It's my biggest saw, so I'd like to get all that is possible from it.

HittinSteel said:
346XP to compliment a 372. 357 is too close in weight and the price tag is silly.

That is the most often recommended Husky 2 saw plan.

Can you run a 3/8 chain on a 346 ? I like only having 1 chain size for all the saws.

You usually have to change the sprocket to run 3/8. I am doing that with my little saw as soon as I use up my current batch of chains.

I think the best way to compliment a 372 would be two of them. One with a 20 and another one with a 24. Get a very very light saw for limbing.

Dill said:
Can you run a 3/8 chain on a 346 ? I like only having 1 chain size for all the saws.

If you're talking about running full size 3/8" chain on the 346XP it will take away from the saw a bit IMO. The super high revs of the 346XP + more cutters per loop in .325 chain is what makes it such a light-sabre to begin with. Going 3/8 (not low-pro/picco) will introduce a much larger cutter profile, slowing the saw, and there will be slightly fewer cutters per loop. Assuming your rakers are set to the same depth, 70 cutters cutting .030" (just an example) each will cut deeper each revolution than 60 cutters taking the same .030" each. Difference will be a wider kerf, taking more wood which lowers RPM's, compounding the slow-down.

Why 1 chain pitch across multiple saws? It only reduces the number of file sizes you need to have on hand. Your chains won't be interchangeable anyways unless your bar lengths are the same and even then it can be 1, 2, or even 4+ links difference across brands/mounts. I can handle bringing 2 or 3 files in the woods as opposed to 1 but babying a saw all day that has too much chain on it is just aggravating and counter-productive.

Dill said:
Yes, I have one on my 346, Randy

MasterMech said:
Dill said:

If you're talking about running full size 3/8" chain on the 346XP it will take away from the saw a bit IMO. The super high revs of the 346XP + more cutters per loop in .325 chain is what makes it such a light-sabre to begin with. Going 3/8 (not low-pro/picco) will introduce a much larger cutter profile, slowing the saw, and there will be slightly fewer cutters per loop. Assuming your rakers are set to the same depth, 70 cutters cutting .030" (just an example) each will cut deeper each revolution than 60 cutters taking the same .030" each. Difference will be a wider kerf, taking more wood which lowers RPM's, compounding the slow-down.

Why 1 chain pitch across multiple saws? It only reduces the number of file sizes you need to have on hand. Your chains won't be interchangeable anyways unless your bar lengths are the same and even then it can be 1, 2, or even 4+ links difference across brands/mounts. I can handle bringing 2 or 3 files in the woods as opposed to 1 but babying a saw all day that has too much chain on it is just aggravating and counter-productive.

Completely agree with this. 346 is a high revving screamer that hates to be bogged. Not much point in switching this saw to 3/8.

smokinjay said:
Get a very very light saw for limbing.

Like what? Talking no need for anything between 30cc and 70cc?

I don't know why folks are recommending the 346. The guy didn't say he wanted the best two saw plan, he said he wants something bigger than the Rancher but lighter than his 372. The 346 is a real nice saw and a lot of fun to run, but I wouldn't send it out to do what he's been doing with the 372. The 357 will handle a lot of the same stuff and it's a lot more saw than the 346. Price is what it is - high - but it's a lot of saw for it's weight. Handles like a dream with the small mount 18" bar, too. If he's willing to pay the difference in price over the 346 I say go for it.

Well I'm committed now. Sold the Rancher this morning. Trying to find a good deal on a used 357 if I don't then I'll buy new next month. I have enough write offs for the farm this year.
Thanks for the advice.

Dill said:
Well I'm committed now. Sold the Rancher this morning. Trying to find a good deal on a used 357 if I don't then I'll buy new next month. I have enough write offs for the farm this year.
Thanks for the advice.

Just watch out for the older ones (pre-2005 I believe). They used to come with an auto-decompression valve. Stupidest idea ever. They even sent out a service bulletin suggesting it be replaced with a manual decomp. I bought my saw used, so I never got a service bulletin about it. The auto-decomp worked fine until the hose cracked underneath where I couldn't see it. Leaned the thing out too much and I blew up the saw. Rebuild was $300... and included a manual decomp rather than the auto one. Still worth it, it's a great saw. A lot of tree guys around here use them for everything but the huge stuff, then they'll jump right up to something like a 3120 with a 36" bar.

Good to know, the only saw that I use the decomp on is my 288. I swung by another dealer and the Jonesered Clone the 2156 is 680. Which is cheaper than the husky by 40 bucks, but is back ordered for a while.
He was doing all he could to talk me into a Dolmar 5105, the price is nice and so is the weight. But the power is right down there with the rancher.

Ended up buying a Dolmar PS 5105. Put 2 tanks through it already, have to say I'm very impressed with this saw. Lighter than the rancher and more power. Plus a tank lasts a heck of a lot longer than the 372, nice price as well.

That's a great little saw. I almost went with one instead of my 346. Still not sure I made the right choice. You like it now, just wait until you put five gallons of mix through it.

MasterMech said:
Dill said:

I have a Dan Henry Power Ported 346 and let me tell ya it wears a 16" full comp chisel chain and pulls it will authority. Unbelievable power from that little saw. Dan gets 40% over stock out of them. The last rounds I timed it cut 11" cherry in 4secs. SMOKIN HOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.