361 Oiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I used (I mean really used, not just trimming) my 361 for the first time over the weekend. It doesn't seem like it is oiling enough.

I have a 20" Rolomatic bar, 20" Stihl full skip semi-chisel chain. Both are brand new. The oiler adjustment screw is maxed.

It is definitely using oil...the area around the sprocket has oily sawdust and I'm using about a tank of oil per tank of fuel...so it's pumping it...

The bar groove is getting gummed up with debris...if I run a small screw driver down the bar a bunch of oily crud comes out. After about 10-15 minutes of bucking some black locust the chain was hot enough to smoke off the oil.

Any thoughts?

Something plugging the holes in the bar, a tank of oil to a tank of gas is about right.

oldspark said:
Something plugging the holes in the bar, a tank of oil to a tank of gas is about right.

Yep...they were plugged...how do i keep them unplugged?

lukem said:
oldspark said:

Yep...they were plugged...how do i keep them unplugged?
Just a routine cleaning should keep them open, not sure if the 361 plugs up quicker than other saws or not, I just got a new 361 and have only used it once.

If this is your first hard run on this saw? I would say its an "E" bar and the new paint is whats smoking off. The 361's I see normally will be down to a silver looking bar.

smokinjay said:
If this is your first hard run on this saw? I would say its an "E" bar and the new paint is whats smoking off. The 361's I see normally will be down to a silver looking bar.

First hard run on the new bar...yep E bar. Maybe that's it. I'll be putting some hours on it this spring and will keep watching it.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

First hard run on the new bar...yep E bar. Maybe that's it. I'll be putting some hours on it this spring and will keep watching it.

You can count on it! There was 3 going Sunday and only one still has any paint left on it.

I noticed the samething with mine till the bar started to wear a little. Now I dont even notice it.

MMaul said:
I noticed the samething with mine till the bar started to wear a little. Now I dont even notice it.

Its Silver Now! lol

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

You can count on it! There was 3 going Sunday and only one still has any paint left on it.

You could do some damage with that many running. I slayed a couple big locust trees in a hour by myself.

They are a nice big little saw or a little big saw, love the light weight of it compared to the power. My paint has not burnt off yet.

Being a pro saw I would think that a "ES" bar would be stock, but we all know now its NOT!

smokinjay said:
Being a pro saw I would think that a "ES" bar would be stock, but we all know now its NOT!

Used saw with new bar...

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Used saw with new bar...

Should have went "ES" bar... lol but no big deal just makes you think when you see the smoke coming of a new "E" bar.

Was already on there when I got it. Same with the full skip chain. Cuts good when sharp but dulls pretty quick....sharpens quick though....jury still out on if I'd buy another.

lukem said:
Was already on there when I got it. Same with the full skip chain. Cuts good when sharp but dulls pretty quick....sharpens quick though....jury still out on if I'd buy another.

We where in some pretty big hickory yesterday. Glad I was running full skip on the 460 it was a dog fight. The 361's didnt have a good day with that one.

For the record, you can bury a full comp chain in hardwood on a 361 w/20" bar.

Also, I've found more crud in the bar groove when cutting around freezing temps and lower using standard weight bar oil. Winter weight oil does a better job of keeping the groove clear.

TreePointer said:
For the record, you can bury a full comp chain in hardwood on a 361 w/20" bar.

Also, I've found more crud in the bar groove when cutting around freezing temps and lower using standard weight bar oil. Winter weight oil does a better job of keeping the groove clear.

Yea you would be watching paint dry on that hickory we did yesterday. We run 3-360's One 036 and two 361's There nice saws don't get me wrong but there not idea in every situation!

smokinjay said:
Yea you would be watching paint dry on that hickory we did yesterday. We run 3-360's One 036 and two 361's There nice saws don't get me wrong but there not idea in every situation!

I agree. The saw is the smallest I'd want to run in hickory or oak.

TreePointer said:
smokinjay said:

This one we left them set one the ground(361). Awesome tree. Splitters where having just as many issues. Going to be some great firewood. The 460 was also a very hard pull through the wood.

TreePointer said:
smokinjay said:

I got into a little bit of some hedge with it too....been dead for years and years but up off the ground. That stuff was HARD. Saw had plenty of power but it was like cutting rock...felt like the chain was bouncing. 12" log. I gave up. Crazy stuff. I don't think any saw would have been able to put a whoopin' on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.