$429 Yard Machines Splitter BROKE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Yup--on last piece (literally) of 2 hard cords of oak, ram would not retract. This is what they found:

RAM WILL NOT RETRACT
INSPECTED UNIT AND FOUND THE ALLEN SCREW HOLDING
THE LOWER COUPLING ON THE PUMP IS LOOSE
THE COUPLING SEPARATED. REPOSITIONED COUPLING
BETWEEN MOTOR AND PUMP AND TIGHTENED SCREWS.
UNDER WARRANTY

I assume this is no big deal, yes? Otherwise, thing's got some sack.

S

No problem. They are just saying that your lovjoy coupler came loose. If its loose the engine can't turn the pump = no pressure or flow. Easy fix and should do ya just fine.

Jags,
Is this something I could have (should have?) diagnosed and fixed myself?

S

thinkxingu said:
Yup--on last piece (literally) of 2 hard cords of oak, ram would not retract. This is what they found:

RAM WILL NOT RETRACT
INSPECTED UNIT AND FOUND THE ALLEN SCREW HOLDING
THE LOWER COUPLING ON THE PUMP IS LOOSE
THE COUPLING SEPARATED. REPOSITIONED COUPLING
BETWEEN MOTOR AND PUMP AND TIGHTENED SCREWS.
UNDER WARRANTY

I assume this is no big deal, yes? Otherwise, thing's got some sack.

S

thinkxingu can you put a picture up?

zap

zap, pictures of what? I haven't got it back, and I'm still not sure which coupling was loose.

Oldspark: which component is the pump--the one that controls ram direction or is it internal?

S

thinkxingu said:
zap, pictures of what? I haven't got it back, and I'm still not sure which coupling was loose.

Oldspark: which component is the pump--the one that controls ram direction or is it internal?

S

The pump shaft is hooked to the shaft of the engine, the coupling between the two was loose. Should have been a prety easy fix I would think.

ehh I would of taken it back too if i wasnt sure what was wrong with it...its under warranty so why not? At least you know what to look for if something similar happens again. Would messing around with it yourself void the warranty if you werent able to fix it diy style?

Lovejoy coupling looks like this.

It is attached to the shaft of your engine.

Between the two pieces of the lovejoy is the spyder, which looks like this.

The lovejoy coupling is held in place on the engine shaft via an allen screw.

Your allen screw became loose, lovejoy separated, 'drive' was lost, and this simply happened when the ram was extended.

Not a big deal.

Just make sure the spyder hasn't been compromised (it's a rubber like material) and that the 'teeth' of the lovejoy have not suffered any damage.

I'm not a mechanic, don't pretend to be one, but did replace the spyder on ours a couple of years ago due to wear and tear on our 1970's splitter.

Warranties are nice. Take advantage of them.

Shari

Cheap junk! I'll tell you what...I'll give you $50 for the scrap metal value and come and get it out of your way. Better move it before ther wife yells at you about lawn ornaments like mine does.

:)

thinkxingu said:
Jags,

S

I would have at least taken a look at it, but that is my nature. I'm a fiddly kind of guy. ;-) . Even under warranty, I probably would have tried to get a feel for what is wrong. The "fix" to your splitter would have taken approx. 2.5 min to repair with the proper allen wrench. I do this ONLY because it saves me time/energy and I wouldn't have to mess with hauling the splitter around or picking it up.

I can't answer what YOU should do. If you didn't have the allen (hex) wrench to fix it, you would be out of luck anyhow. You would either have to borrow/buy (and they are pretty cheap), or take it to the mechanic anyhow.

Hey - ya got it fixed. It was no big deal. Now you are ready to split. Couldn't ask for a heck of a lot more than that IMHO.

Adios Pantalones said:
Under warranty- let them fix it. I would try to diagnose it myself and fix if really simple, but there's no shame in using a warranty.

I'm with ya AP, especially if it was a pricey component, but the failure of this machine would have taken less time to fix then the time it took to hook it up to the tow vehicle. It was just tightening a screw. Just sayin.

If you don't have the tools to service the splitter, I would get them. Stuff breaks and it is a lot easier to fix it yourself. It is also a good idea to keep a close eye on the hydraulic fittings and hoses. Hydraulic fluid showers, especially hot ones, suck.

SolarAndWood said:
If you don't have the tools to service the splitter, I would get them. Stuff breaks and it is a lot easier to fix it yourself. It is also a good idea to keep a close eye on the hydraulic fittings and hoses. Hydraulic fluid showers, especially hot ones, suck.

I learned that a couple months ago or so

39110_1362973316212_1287984025_30866273_5980245_n.jpg

Adios Pantalones said:
I learned that a couple months ago or so

Seems like it is almost inevitable if you split any quantity of wood unless you are super diligent about maintenance and store the equipment indoors. I'm not very good with either. My next upgrade to the splitter is to get all the hydraulics/pump/motor encased in a box both to protect them from the elements and me from their failure.

I think there was a recall on this unit, but not sure what parts affected. You can check on the CPSC website.

thinkxingu said:
Jags,

S
If I knew you were mechanically inclined, maybe.
At least you now have one item on your 'things' to constantly check' checklist.
(besides gas in the tank and oil levels)
maybe when you go pick it up someone there can give you a heads up on other things that can wiggle use from/during use.

Always good to check out all the bolts and plumbing fittings on a new piece of equiptment, the way they put things together these days stuff starts falling off pretty quick, learned that on a new snow blower a couple of years ago.

Yo,
Thanks for all the replies, homies--I think the reason I didn't bother looking is that I'm not real familiar with what each part on the machine does. When I pulled the handle and nothing moved, and I didn't see any leaks nor obviously loose parts, I figured it would be internal.
I do most of my own work (16 windows, 5 doors, all finish trim this last summer!), but when something's under warranty I'd rather not be bothered. Of course, now it means I'm out of my splitter for a week. Oh, well--good time to take the family to a fall fair!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.