4300 Quad to much Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just about decided to get the Quad 4300 ACT but a little concerned about sizing? I have a 1500 square foot with over half an open floorplan with 32 foot ceilings A-Frame Style. Main room is 28' wide and has 12' side walls with ceiling fans. Dealer wants 1750 for stove complete + install. Other options are Lopi Ranier or Leyden. What do you guys think? about enough stove for the place? I plan on ordering 3 cords of Hardwood to get started plus harvesting off my land and becoming a big srounger for wood. Sound doable but install on this roof is costing loads. Needs bucket truck to get to the top. Plan on taking out Gas stove and putting on that wall if possible. Installer coming to evaluate in the morning. Need advice by then.

Thanks
ddown
New just joined and learning fast love the forum

Attachments

• Blackbeard_003.jpg
    Blackbeard_003.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 399
  • Blackbeard_008.jpg
    Blackbeard_008.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 396
  • winter.jpg
    winter.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 301
I have a 4300 in a very similar setting only about 2000 sq ft/ Well insulated and fairly airtight. Heats this place to 68 or better even when the outside temps are in the teens. The ceiling fans in the vaulted ceiling are a must have.

Thanks I'm hoping it works well. Are you happy with your Quadra? Dealer is pushing Lopi and Avalon They cut me a low deal on last quadra but there are three other dealers within thirty miles. :)

How in the world is that chimney gonna get cleaned?

That's one thing I have to research on Monday when they come out. I hope a sweep doesn't need a bucket truck to clean it. But I only need maximum of 12 ft of stainless they say so that saves some.

Im VERY happy with the Quad, one year of pretty steady 24/7 burning and no problems whatsoever. on occasion the glass does brown up a bit in the corners but cleans easily, Can easily get all night burns ( 10 hrs ) with good oak. Im guessing you are looking at the Milinium at that price cause I paid well more for the step top

No it's the step top with the old ACT and the gold door. Last years display Model. They are really trying to get me to take the Lopi Leyden. But not sure I want a cast downburn, seem to be more persnickity for operation the tube/baffle system seems to work with less issues and a little less tweaking from what i understand. Have you had any problems with your fiberboard and ceramic blanket?

ddown

Hello Ddown we have a QF4300ST in our old farm house..it's a good stove. Wish we got the next size bigger but it does the job much better that our Shenandoah r77 (that I was perfectly content with)...btw were heating 3K ft so that stove should do well for you...also that's a good price your getting. Posters with the Lopi's Leydens are pleased with those stoves too...just say'en good luck with your selection.

ps our QF is the non ACT...and that's the way I like it. I want to control the Horizontal, I want to control the vertical. I don't need a stove that says, that's it...no more air for you.

Wow! Look at all that glass! Where's all the furniture?

I don't think the 4300 is too much stove, particularly in Michigan. You WILL want a ceiling fan in the top of that room to push the heat back down, though.

Great price on the stove, BTW. I paid $2350 two years ago with nickel trim. I'm jealous! I think you will be very happy with it. I find it's very easy to start and control a fire in these things.

Chris

Found these before we bought it after leaving DC area to move back home. Three year old repo house bought right, Also included shot from last winter for comparison. Thanks for all the replies everyone. When your new and spending this much you haved to get it right the first time. Again thanks to all, when the install is done I'll post lots of Pics.

ddown

Go for it, good stove, great price. You can burn smaller, shorter fires in the fall and spring. But when there's a howling blizzard and it's heading towards zero, you'll be happy you have the reserve heat. Try running the ceiling fans in reverse, blowing upward, in the winter for draft free heat circulation.

Got it did the deal today, being installed next week making the hearth right now!!!!. 3 Full cords being delivered wednesday, Chain Saw and more bought I own 2 acres of wood think I can manage it to substain most of my wood needs.
Again thanks to all. I will put up pics after hearth is in.

ddown

Status
Not open for further replies.