455 Rancher replacement chain recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Im in the market for a new chain...I read the reviews on the replacement chain they sell at lowes and it had bad ratings...basically after 2 sharpenings the chain is trash.

What chain you recommend I replace the stock chain with? I want something that cuts and holds up great.

Thanks

I would put on Woodland Pro from Bailey's. Chisel if most of the wood you cut is clean, semi chisel if you tend to cut wood that has been dragged around. Just tell them what saw you have and the size bar and they will send you the chain you need. Might as well pick up 2 so you always have a spare on hand.

Stihl rs chain. cuts great, lasts and lasts, and holds its edge well. ship chain for super hard woods will keep the saw from bogging down.

The important thing, go to a chainsaw or outdoor equipment shop and not a box store.

The 455 I was just given came with what looks like Oregon 73LGX or similar, i.e. full chisel non-safety. Is that not stock? The saw did come from a dealer not a box store.

I just got a loop of the equivalent Woodland Pro from Baileys - it has no witness mark on the cutters for maintaining the right angle while sharpening. The Oregon chain does, for the same price.

I use husky chains and have no problems with them. cut about 5 cord a year and still have original one ( not much left put cuts good). Dont get me wrong I do have 2 other
chains 1 new 1-2/3 new. That is all i have used in the last 8 years and i cut red oak, hickory, cherry and what ever i find dead or down.

as EKlawton said I use Husky chains from a local dealer,not the home owner safety chain as sold in chain stores.I love the chains they cut very well and hold an edge,I have cut 5 cord and not even have to put an edge on them. Again knowledge is power dont wad down thru the log and into dirt,to save a few mins. Cut almost all the way thrand roll log over to finish.

PINEBURNER said:
Stihl rs chain. cuts great, lasts and lasts, and holds its edge well. ship chain for super hard woods will keep the saw from bogging down.

I picked one of these up....33RS...bad ass chain. Cuts like butter. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oregon 73LGX works for me... much better than the one that came on mine.

Husky chain is supposedly made by Oregon - don't know how Husky part numbers match to Oregon numbers, but it's the same stuff... I run Oregon non-safety / full chisel / full comp. on my Dolmar and find it works really well for me. I think it's LG series, but not positive, and I'm not running out to the garage to check...

Gooserider

BucksCoBernie said:
Im in the market for a new chain...I read the reviews on the replacement chain they sell at lowes and it had bad ratings...basically after 2 sharpenings the chain is trash.

What chain you recommend I replace the stock chain with? I want something that cuts and holds up great.

Thanks

The Husqvarna replacement chain at Lowes is Oregon with a Husqvarna model number. There is no good reason for it to be worn completely back after two sharpenings. Plus anyone who writes reviews on Lowes' website...yeah, you can complete that thought for me.

Oregon chain will hold up just fine if you do your part. Assuming your 455 is running 3/8" chain, Oregon 72LGX should do you just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.