49-SHCPM-----Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erhalt1

Jan 23, 2008
Western Ohio
I have purchased the englander 49-SHCPM. I have not been able to get alot of heat out of it. For instance while we are having temps of 17' my house does good to heat to 68 on 7-7. We'll I had a 25pdv that heated my whole house very well. I don't ever remember having to set up higher than 6-6 to heat on the coldest day. I am struggleing to keep this baby warm enough so my furnace doesn't come on 9-9 my bottom settings are 4-4-1 I have changed them. I have cleaned the stove very throughly, the glass gets a burnt color. it is a very lazy flame. can someone help me with settings that my help keep my house warm like my other stove.

lazy flame and dirty glass = poor combustion. Little air/no air getting to the burn pot. not familiar with your model but that's what was happening to mine. Do you have a damper setting on yours? open it up to let more air, if you do.

erhalt1, as you know, I have the same stove. Yes, I've had to crank-up the heat setting, but it's been in teens here with big time wind chills.

I've burned about 1 1/2 tons so far, and did a "major" cleaning about a week ago.....everything....firebox, pot, pan, comb. blower, room air blower, etc, etc. I have the lower 3 buttons at 1-4-1 (remember, they don't do anything above heat setting #2).

My house is all log on the exterior, which isn't the greatest insulator, and the great room has 18' ceiling. I can keep it at 69-70, which is fine for me.

Here's a pic of my flames (and somewhat dirty window after 4 days w/ Rocky Mtn. pellets).

Does yours look like this?

Icenine, no damper on this stove.....computer raises & lower comb. fan according to heat setting.

Attachments

• 10-CPM burn on "9".jpg
    10-CPM burn on "9".jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 451
Mac - when I spoke with tech support they did say the bottom three buttons still do do something even over setting #2. I think a lot has to with pellet brands! I have o' malleys and love them! Bottom three buttons are 1-3-1. Top to are 8-9 and with a infared therometer I'm pushing 255*+ currently!

House is a steady mid 70 degrees with temps in the mid teens here!

But my settings when I'm burning hammer pellets is 4-2-1 to get any heat output from stove!

Here are two pictures I took this evening. The first showing the flame settings are as follows: bottom three (1-4-1); top two (9-9). I took Mac's advice and switched from 1-3-1 and the dig. theromter is reading substantially higher number. Even if its the metal its reading and not the air - it is still a higher temp.

Attachments

• flame.jpg
    flame.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 433
  • digital thermoter - stove.jpg
    digital thermoter - stove.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 409
Presa canario said:
Mac - when I spoke with tech support they did say the bottom three buttons still do do something even over setting #2. I think a lot has to with pellet brands! I have o' malleys and love them! Bottom three buttons are 1-3-1. Top to are 8-9 and with a infared therometer I'm pushing 255*+ currently!

House is a steady mid 70 degrees with temps in the mid teens here!

But my settings when I'm burning hammer pellets is 4-2-1 to get any heat output from stove!

Yeah I had the same chat with two different techs at englander.
For my stove the Default settings are Corn 3 1 1 Pellets 3 4 1

With pellets I get the best heat 3 5 1

Topshelf said:
Yeah I had the same chat with two different techs at englander.
For my stove the Default settings are Corn 3 1 1 Pellets 3 4 1. With pellets I get the best heat 3 5 1

Topshelf, the 10-cpm stove that presa and I have is a little different animal than yours. From the factory, ours starts on 1-1-1 settings. I just bumped up the LBA to 4 since I noticed the low burns were kinda "dirty", burn wise.

Seemed to work for me, but I'm still "fiddling" a little, and will be trying a 3-2-1 setting tomorrow. Want to get the heat up w/ more pellets, but reduce the air so not as much goes out the exhaust pipe. May try 3-3-1 too.

the main problem that i am having is over about and hour or 3 my burn pot fills up with pellets. it fills up sp much that they back up in the shoot. the they are burnt black but they just keep piling up build up

erhalt1 said:
the main problem that i am having is over about and hour or 3 my burn pot fills up with pellets. it fills up sp much that they back up in the shoot. the they are burnt black but they just keep piling up build up

I know you said the stove is clean, but your symptoms are classic dirty stove and/or vent pipe, or both. Can you explain what you do when you clean it?

erhalt1 said:
I have purchased the englander 49-SHCPM. I have not been able to get alot of heat out of it. For instance while we are having temps of 17' my house does good to heat to 68 on 7-7. We'll I had a 25pdv that heated my whole house very well. I don't ever remember having to set up higher than 6-6 to heat on the coldest day. I am struggleing to keep this baby warm enough so my furnace doesn't come on 9-9 my bottom settings are 4-4-1 I have changed them. I have cleaned the stove very throughly, the glass gets a burnt color. it is a very lazy flame. can someone help me with settings that my help keep my house warm like my other stove.

Just for the heck of it, check out my newest thread here. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49930/

Aside from your lazy flame your symptoms the rest resemble mine. Most importantly I highly suggest you call Englander on line tech support and they will set you straight.

erhalt1 said:

Oh,OH! I just read the above. You have other problems too I see. You might want to disregard my previous response with regards to heat mode changes.

erhalt1 said:

Does your model have a stirrer in the burn pot? Mine does since mine was built for corn AND pellets. If it gets full of ash burning pellets I just kick in the stirrer on for a minute or two and I'm all good. Lately I have been burning a 50 / 50 mixture of corn and pellets because its so cold here at night. +/- 5 - 15 degrees. I leave my stirrer turned on with corn and dont have any issues. With the 50 50 mix I get much more heat out of my stove than straight pellets.

Sounds to me like you need more air into the stove to help with combustion???

Gio said:
erhalt1 said:

Just for the heck of it, check out my newest thread here. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49930/

Aside from your lazy flame your symptoms the rest resemble mine. Most importantly I highly suggest you call Englander on line tech support and they will set you straight.

I have called them 3 x and still they have no answers!!! I have done all weekly biweekly and cleaning..... The only thing I can figure is the exhaust pipe might be clogged... But at the angle it is there is no way to clean it out unless I pull the stove out!! By back isn't what it should be!! What about gaskets around the door could this cause this sort of problem?? Macman I love what you have done to your stove... How did you do the ghrapics??

Thanks for the help

What about the pellets?? Could they have moisture inthem they should be dry in garage all year....

TopShelf, he has the same stove as I do, and it has a stirrer. In pellet mode, it only moves about 1/16" each time the auger sends pellets. On corn mode, it goes about 3/4" on each auger movement. I have done the same thing occasionally running the stirrer in manual mode to break-up some clumps.....works great.

Yes, I agree with his need for more burn air, as I mentioned above, but I think he's dealing w/ a dirty stove/pipe.

BTW, I tried your suggestion of changing the bottom 3 buttons, and what a difference! I tried 3-2-1, and in a nutshell, I've gone from upper button heat setting 8 down to 3, and the room is warmer! (and it's still 26 degrees outside here). I did it last night before I went to bed, and I knew immediately this morning when I got up that something changed....the house was TOO warm!

I turned it back to 2-2-1 after I did a FULL cleaning today, and I have it running on 3-4 now, and room is still 71 degrees! (getting prepared for the real cold coming this weekend)

Thank You!

erhalt1 said:
..... The only thing I can figure is the exhaust pipe might be clogged... But at the angle it is there is no way to clean it out unless I pull the stove out!! By back isn't what it should be!! What about gaskets around the door could this cause this sort of problem?? Macman I love what you have done to your stove... How did you do the ghrapics??

Thanks for the help

Thanks erhalt1, just a bit of taping and gold hi heat spray paint is all. Removed the door to paint the "crown" and hinge pins.

Have you done the "dollar bill" test of the door gasket when the stove is cold?

Getting back to your stove, I'd still like for you to explain (in more detail) how and what you clean on the stove. And I'm not saying that your pipe is the problem, but not cleaning that at all is a problem. Maybe a description of the pipe set-up, or pictures would be even better. Is it 3" all the way, how many bends and what degrees are they, how long are straight pipes, etc, etc.

how do you post pictures>
i have taken the burn pot out and sweept it out
i took the side out off of the stove and cleaned the ignighter.
if you watch the video i have done everything except remove the blowers.

Have you removed the ash trap covers on the back wall (right above the ash pan traps), and vacuumed as much of that out as you can? (and were the trap covers down tight against the tops of the ash pan trap doors while burning?

Have you reached up on top of the firebox and vacuumed the ledge up there that has the holes?

Does the ash pan fit tight and is sealed against the front of the stove?

Here's a pic of my stove during a "normal" burn. To post pics, read the very first green "announcement" tab at the top of the forum main page.

Attachments

• 10-CPM Burn2.jpg
    10-CPM Burn2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 365
erhalt1 said:
how do you post pictures>
i have taken the burn pot out and sweept it out
i took the side out off of the stove and cleaned the ignighter.
if you watch the video i have done everything except remove the blowers.

I would call Englander's tech support and talk to either Mike or Brandan. They know those things inside and out and both are very good at getting your stove up to peak performance.

One of the things I did with mine to help detirmine what the best settings are is:
Take a temp reading at the stove, on your house thermostat, outside temp and then make a one or two number change on the bottom buttons. Wait at least an hour and then take the same temp readings again. Its a slow process but it helped me find the best setting on my stove with my setup. It seems to me that everyone has different exhaust set ups, pellets, air intakes. cleaning methods, Home elevations, etc etc . So with all those factors to consider no two optimum set ups will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.