5°F tonight = 40lb Black Locust Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
With the temp dropping to that tonight I figured now was a good time to throw in a monster split. Had to open the front doors on the Jotul F600 to get her in. After about 6 hours of ash, maple and oak to get a good bed of coals..in she went at about 6:30pm. Cruising at 450°F with the secondaries doing there thing. We'll see how long she lasts... Which will it be...a Denver upset or the monster split lasting until the morning? ( Damper down to 3...not much help from the wind)

Nordic - hope that splits lasts a long while with those temps. Same here - dropping quick and about 5 loads worth of my best red oak ready for the next 2 days. Sitting at 78* in the house now and about 11* outside - love old Manny! Cheers!

24* here at the moment, going down to about 9* so far maintaining about mid 70's in the house. Going to load the stove up with locust as well soon, and this will be a get up sometime in the middle of the night to reload to keep the oil from kicking on. Have a bit of a wind still. Keep warm ya'll.

I have on of those 40 pounders of red oak. Was gonna put it in tonight and reconsidered and just now split it in two. Should be in the twenties most of the night.

The NC30 has a stomach full of 2 year Black Locust and she is dancing with secondaries. stove top is at 500 and the house is a nice 74 while outside its 24. Ill take it.

We're waiting for the coal bed to die back a bit here, then a full load of cherry is going in. Followed by a midnight snack around 4am. They are saying 11* tonight, and we are at 13* now. Got about 15" of lake effect last night.

simple.serf said:
We're waiting for the coal bed to die back a bit here, then a full load of cherry is going in. Followed by a midnight snack around 4am. They are saying 11* tonight, and we are at 13* now. Got about 15" of lake effect last night.
I'll be in Dunkirk with my sleds soon..we have some snow but not much.

We have a trail that goes though the hay field on the way from Sherman to Findley lake... It's been Busy today. Good friend of mine lives up on the ridge in Dunkirk/Fredonia. He said they got 2 feet.

I haven't been up to Rochester in awhile. I work for the maintenance department of a certain grocery chain based there... you might be familiar with them...

getting cold here to happy to put a nice big load in.

Well its been about 11 1/2 hours and all that is left of that monster split of black locust is a large clump of glowing red coals. Living room at 78°F , far family room at 72°F and upstairs at 74°F . Thats pretty good for one monster split. Have one more of those suckers outside. Will bring it into the gararge later today and let it sit for a few days.

8am here and its 12*, got up around 4am to reload, house got down to around 64, no oil kicking in tho. Gonna be cold all day... Going for a hike, and then making wings and watching football.

Its 9am and it 9 degrees outside. This is what winter should be like.

Backwoods said:
8am here and its 12*, got up around 4am to reload, house got down to around 64, no oil kicking in tho. Gonna be cold all day... Going for a hike, and then making wings and watching football.
nothing like a good hike a 10 degree day. my favorite.

Oil kicked on here. We got down to about-2 (according to my thermometer) and right now it is about 2* out.

Insulation in the house is crap, so i would rather the oil kick on than to wake up to frozen pipes.

Had a pretty good load in last night around 12:30 am, house was about 70. Forecast called for 5 deg., so I thought I'd be ok to get up around 7 and have the house low-mid 60's.
Well, the temp was -4 and house got down to 58.5, but I slept in til 8:15. Fire's been going at between 550 and 650 since then, and house is all the way :cheese: up to 65 at 10:45. Good thing the temp should be up to 25 today.
No monster rounds here. :coolsmirk:

I am really loving burning large locust splits. It takes a while to get them going, but boy what wonderful heat. This stuff burns more like coal than wood! I love coming down in the morning to a still hot stove with a big glowing coal bed. Ironically, I picked up this free wood because the home owner (a wood burner) thought locust was a lousy firewood. "Ya can't burn the stuff!" he said as I bit my tongue and thanked him.

Was -9f here last night, loaded the defiant with maple and birch at 11pm, woke up at 7:30 and the house was at 72 and there was still 7inches of red hot coals,I'm a happy man!

was 10 °F here in he central mtns this morning, if the skies stay clear like they have been all day I expect it will get like that again tonight. I'll get a couple medium splits of locust ready and put them in around 11:00pm, should keep it fine in here til I get up for work at 6:00am. I love these cold nights, makes the Mrs. cuddle up a little closer. ;-P

simple.serf said:
wish we'd get some of that big LE down this way!!

BeGreen said:
I am really loving burning large locust splits. It takes a while to get them going, but boy what wonderful heat. This stuff burns more like coal than wood! I love coming down in the morning to a still hot stove with a big glowing coal bed. Ironically, I picked up this free wood because the home owner (a wood burner) thought locust was a lousy firewood. "Ya can't burn the stuff!" he said as I bit my tongue and thanked him.
PPFFFFTT..... :zip: SCORE!!

Scotty Overkill said:
simple.serf said:

...Until you have to try to get the '58 Massey diesel started at 10* to plow with...

simple.serf said:
Scotty Overkill said:
simple.serf said:

...Until you have to try to get the '58 Massey diesel started at 10* to plow with...
lol....hey I'm a snow nut......I live for this time of year.......if you send some of the snow down here I'll come start the Massey for ya!!

ecocavalier02 said:
Backwoods said:
nothing like a good hike a 10 degree day. my favorite.

Eco- your absolutely right. Highs got to 17 degrees. Son and I had a hot lunch on the summit. Winds kept the temps in the single digits, and I posted some pics in the perfect picture section. Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.